davidfreefly

sony cx100 (105 europe) settings

Hey, I just read this post and will try the settings that Adreas has posted.

Adreas, have you been having continued success with this? Has anyone else been using these settings? I'd like to hear any accounts, good, bad or ugly!

Thanks
Danger Doug
www.dangerdoug.com

I have the same problem. I understand that this setting resets itself after the camera is turned off for 12 hours or more.. it's a pain but at least you don't have to reset it between jumps. There doesn't seem to be a function on the hypeye to restore this setting either, so I guess it's just one more thing to check in the morning.

Sorry Saxboy, it was you that posted the settings for going fully auto.
I've been using these settings since my last post and I'm very happy with the results. Not once have I had a focus issue on exit. The only time I notice anything wrong, is when I'm on the ground getting ready to start shooting a landing.

For a lens, I have the Raynox 50/50 which works very well focusing at zoomed in distances, not sure, maybe it's just a motion thing as I zoom in. It actually looks like an affect, going from unfocused, zooming in and then focusing on the student.

Just in case anyone else was thinking of trying the fully auto focused setup. It works great! IMO
Danger Doug
www.dangerdoug.com

there isn't a way of triggering smooth slow motion on this camera ie; online editing... another argument for 'puters.

My preferences are:
VX Color ON
Wide Adapter ON
IS ON
Manual Focus
Auto Expose/Scene Selection AUTO
Expose set to -1
White Balance AUTO
Fader OFF
External card (I prefer saving Internal for emergencies)
Auto Slow Shutter OFF
Face Function OFF
Smile Function OFF
Digital Zoom OFF
Zoom mic Off
MicRef LOW
Power On by LCD OFF

I can't recall which (if any) other settings I've selected. Sitting in an airport and don't have the camera available to me right now.

Hey DSE - quick question. When you set the focus to manual, do you need to first auto-focus on something far away to insure the lens is focused at infinity (like the "infinity" setting on many cams), or is it not necessary?

While I have you, do you happen to have a list of best practices settings for Sony Vegas in a typical tandem operation set-up?

Thanks for the help - as always!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Spot focus it on the distance you will be filming the subject at. Infinity is not the solution for all jumps.

The Tandem Videos easy DVD has a lot of the workflow for Vegas in it.

I'm shooting a .3 on a CX100. I can't think of how darned close I'd have to shoot before infinity would pull things out of focusk. Even at infinity, I would think things should be in focus down to a few inches. Or is video different than photography in that respect?

On the other hand, if I focus at 2 or 3 feet, will that pull the background out of focus, or will the depth of field of the .3 fix that?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Hi folks.
I have a CX100 and i have done 50+ jumps with it, tandems, big ways, AFFs ... FF. Well, I have no complaints. Great camera, beautiful video, good white balance, focus, color and definition. I also suggest you use the manual focus, avoiding difficulties in auto focus, as already described above. The preferences listed by DSE are perfect. Thank you. I'll try using Expose set to -1 to observe the differences.
I use the LIQUID 3 to shoot tandem jumps and others ... and another lens (unknown) 0.38X to shoot RW ... and ... did not notice any problems with the image shake. I jumped the camera on a flat top without any case or condom (i'll use some day).
The HYPEYE is very good, all using the CX-100 should use it.
Now ... my question:
Here in Manaus, Amazonas (in the middle of the Amazon forest), Brazil, is very humid and hot. Condensation occurs on the lens, always! I do not know what to do to prevent or minimize it. Any ideas?
ROBSON S. CUSTÓDIO
MANAUS, AM, BR

Hi folks.
I have a CX100 and i have done 50+ jumps with it, tandems, big ways, AFFs ... FF. Well, I have no complaints. Great camera, beautiful video, good white balance, focus, color and definition. I also suggest you use the manual focus, avoiding difficulties in auto focus, as already described above. The preferences listed by DSE are perfect. Thank you. I'll try using Expose set to -1 to observe the differences.
I use the LIQUID 3 to shoot tandem jumps and others ... and another lens (unknown) 0.38X to shoot RW ... and ... did not notice any problems with the image shake. I jumped the camera on a flat top without any case or condom (i'll use some day).
The HYPEYE is very good, all using the CX-100 should use it.
Now ... my question:
Here in Manaus, Amazonas (in the middle of the Amazon forest), Brazil, is very humid and hot. Condensation occurs on the lens, always! I do not know what to do to prevent or minimize it. Any ideas?

Ever hear of rainex!!!

My preferences are:
VX Color ON
Wide Adapter ON
IS ON
Manual Focus
Auto Expose/Scene Selection AUTO
Expose set to -1
White Balance AUTO
Fader OFF
External card (I prefer saving Internal for emergencies)
Auto Slow Shutter OFF
Face Function OFF
Smile Function OFF
Digital Zoom OFF
Zoom mic Off
MicRef LOW
Power On by LCD OFF

I can't recall which (if any) other settings I've selected. Sitting in an airport and don't have the camera available to me right now.

Also... what record mode? The choices are HD (FH, HQ, SP & LP)

Am I wrong in thinking that your standard Tandem video, being burned on regular DVD's should probably be shot in a lower quality than say Full 1920x1080 resolution?

HD FH would probably be for burning Blu-Ray right?

For that matter, what about the SD record modes? I'm assuming that the HD record modes are probably better to shoot in even if I'm burning DVD's that will be played back in SD. I'm looking for some examples of quality vs. speed. I'll probably be transferring to a mac so I'd like to get the transfers as fast as I can without giving up too much of the quality, however, it is only a tandem video being recorded onto standard DVD's so I'm sure I probably don't need to be shooting ALL of my stuff in HD FH mode either. What do the rest of you think?

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Are people using SD HQ for tandems? Or what?

Yes, but I can do AVCHD HQ videos too (generally for other jumpers who do shoot in AVCHD all the time and need me and/or my computer to do the editing for some reason), these just takes a few more minutes rendering time.

ciel bleu,
Saskia