freeflydemon

Any side mount for the new CX 100?

Nice!! Do you have photos of your helmet? I can't find any photo with a camera attached too see how it works...

I don't think I have any with the RRS mounts... I'll post a couple of shots of my helmet tonight when I get home from work...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

DSE,

I was looking at my CX100 and I am worried if I flip onto my back the camera LCD screen would open. I see the snap you have in place - What are your thoughts about a set up such as the on your posted and regular back flying during videos?

Many Thanks,

David.

I use a bit of gaffer's tape on doors/LCD panels or a small bungee, no matter what. If that panel flips open during a skydive, you'll very likely bend it far enough to damage the ribbon cable and or the hinge, or worse.The snap that's there is from a different camera, but it serves its purpose on that particular sidemount.

Hey Mike, any news from RAWA?

Just heard from them today that they now have the camera and are working on it. They estimate boxes to be ready for manufacturing in about 4 weeks...so probably about 6 weeks until I'll have some in.

I have 5 of RAWA's side-mount and 5 of RAWA's top-mount CX100/105 boxes on order.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Here is my CX-100 side mounted on a RAWA with a PC9 box. Not cutting or modifying at all. Works like a charm.

I believe its a PC9 box anyway.. the model before the PC101.

Yesterday, I did 5 tandem videos on SD quality with no shake problems at all. SD HQ is better then the video out of my PC 101.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Kramar.D/RawaCameraHelmet#

Here is my CX-100 side mounted on a RAWA with a PC9 box. Not cutting or modifying at all. Works like a charm.

I believe its a PC9 box anyway.. the model before the PC101.

Yesterday, I did 5 tandem videos on SD quality with no shake problems at all. SD HQ is better then the video out of my PC 101.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Kramar.D/RawaCameraHelmet#

How do you have is secured in the box? Or is it just the pressure of the closed box in addition the bottom support you added?

Mike
ChutingStar.com

The bottom support is high density foam taped to the point that it adds enough bottom pressure that the top left and right corners of the camera make contact with the box. It does not move even the slightest bit. The top left, top right and bottom left (when looking at the LCD screen so to speak) corners all make contact with the box.

You could even jump it without the bottom support – the only problem I found was that the camera would have a tendency to shift 2 or 3 degrees from being square and angle the footage a little bit.

The box is also the perfect width - just by chance. The only concern I have with my set up is if someone would like to use a higher quality low profile wide angle lens the camera sits deep in the box and the lens guard would have to be cut accordingly. I will probably mount the Hype eye inside that box and make a hole to access it.

With the extra room I will create slots for an extra bite switch, 2 closing screws SD and Sony mem cards… no more refunding stills! Haha

Heres my FF3 with the CX100. I origionally had a HC5 in the helmet. I ordered a smaller clamshell and did a little work to it to allow the camera to be brought back into the box a bit to protect the lens from getting slapped by the riser on openings. I broke an HC5 that way last year and don't want to have that happen again.

http://www.cookiecomposites.com/news/year_2009/month_3/article_47/index.htm

Hey Mike, any world on delivery date for you from Cookie, besides first of May? It's getting to me that I can't jump my camera yet:P

Last I was told was the first week of May, but let me see if I can get a more exact date from Jason.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

The helmet came set up with the hole for the Cam Eye when I got it. The Hypeye doesn't pop through the hole and hold itself in place like the Cam Eye did. I had to use a dab of super glue to keep it from pushing into the helmet when I hit the button.
As far as the location of it goes, I like it just fine.

Very nice.

I went with homebuilt option for my Hakweye.
This built and designed by my good friend Bill "Gizmo" Liebhart. He is also my neighbor and a former AFF student of mine. Many thanks, Bill.

I formerly had a PC9 with the aluminum box from Hawkeye. This setup weighs 1oz less...smaller/lighter camera, heavier/heavier duty mount. I also have the benefit of complete lens protection (my old skool Kenko .42).

The last pic shows that you can change the battery without taking the camera out of the box. Also, it is pre-wired for a modified battery charger whenever I get a spare one. Thank you Sony for putting the charging port on the inside!! :S

Bill built me a spare backdoor that will also accomodate the HUGE battery that I most likely will never need or use.

Two jumps so far on the system. No issues at all, solid as a rock.

Bill said he would be happy to build more of these if there is interest. [email protected]

New camera for a new season, it should be good, I can't wait.

jeff D-16906

Bill said he would be happy to build more of these if there is interest.

He probably has to once you realize the loss of picture quality with that Kenko...

Apart from this, nice job!

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...