love2flyhigh

Got a new Canon 50D

Search the forums, its been covered multiple times because any Canon camera is about the same with minor changes to advanced features or burst rate.

Also every photographer is different and uses different settings. Understand aperture, exposure, the balance between them and things will make a lot more sense. Everything you would use on the ground can be used in the air. I highly recommend Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson to understand basic photographic terms and principles.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Read the owners manual and play with it on the ground before taking it up. It will give you a basic understanding of your settings .

Have fun and be safe

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Been jumping a 50D for a month now. I'm liking it a lot. I had an XT and XTi before it. It's definitely big and heavy compared to the digital rebels, but it's jumpable. I keep most of the special features like auto light optimizer and highlight tone priority shut off. Really the only different setting I use on the 50D compared to the XTi is auto ISO. It doesn't work quite the way I'd like it to, but it's nice that it will bump up the ISO when necessary. I've gotten shots that would otherwise be impossible without either using an automatic mode or changing settings between shots.

I'd recommend at least 100 or more video-only jumps before you try a still camera... especially such a big one. If you're ready to jump it, pretty much any mode will work but each has advantages and disadvantages. Sports mode works great... at least on the digital rebels. Haven't tried it yet on the 50D but I assume it'll work great too.

Let me know if you have any questions about it. Lots of sample pics on my stills site... just about anything 1/24/09 and after.

Few examples attached. Second one is indoor rock climbing at ISO 3200.

Dave

Congrats on the new hardware! Im looking into 1 or 2 of those, myself.

In regards to the CRW photo.. one word.. "BRRRRR"

There's snow on the ground!!! lol

Keep up the good work! Have fun with that new camera!
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

Ha, that was a warm day. I think it was almost 40 on the ground. Opening at 9K was chilly but really not bad. My hands get cold under canopy in the winter and that jump didn't even bother them.

Only problem with that jump was their insistence to face the sun (and I was asked not to ever go in front of them). But I did get to play when they gave up on the 3-way. :)
Dave

read this thread.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3225357#3225357

But remember, I know a little photography and had spent 3 months reading the manual and learning the camera before posting.

My full manual settings on my 40D are:

f8-11(depends on the light avaible)
Iso 400
Shutter 500-640(depends on the light avaible)
15mm focal distance
Focus fixed on 2meters
WB: sunlight
high speed burst
JPEG full res

the safety is allways sportsfunction, but when useing a Sigam 15 f2.8 the camera will use f2.8 untill reaching a shutter well above needed causing DOF(depth of field) to be short. Av-mode may compensate for that.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no