Ronaldo

Another "help choosing a camera" post

Hi folks,
First of all I did read the FAQ and searched a little bit but I'd really appreciate your input on this. I've decided to get a new video camera but still have some doubts. I don't make a living with skydiving but I do very occasional AFF and tandem videos (usually for friends so I don't make any money of it). My current camera is an IP-5 (MicroMV) which has been working well since I bought it (used). The major problem I have with it is the fact that I can't firewire it with other (mini DV) cameras. Using AV connection, besides quality loss is a real pain and doesn't seem to work all the time (so I hardly get the chance to see me on video). I have the opportunity to buy a Sony HC-3 (used HD) but I'm not sure if it is the wisest choice so I'm also considering an HC62 (new SD). My main concerns are:
- I know this camera has firewire input/ output but can I exchange video with other SD mini DV cameras (HD quality would be lost, of course)? This is really important because it is the issue that bugs me most with the IP-5.
- I know also that this is a tape based camera so I'm assuming it is OK for freeflying, is it right?

I don't bother having to switch from side to top mount neither with finding a case for any of these cameras (I can make my own easily). Sure I would love to shoot HD videos but this is not something I will be using right now (I have 2 HD TVs but I don't have a blue ray recorder yet). The HC would suit me for now but I'm just afraid of going against the tendency again (like I did when I got the IP-5). The difference in price is considerable but I'm willing to make the investment if it is worth in the long time.
Thank you all
Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Thanks DSE, so I can assume the HC-3 will be able to firewire video with other mini DV cameras (like PCs, HC, etc), right? This is my biggest concern. The IP-5 has firewire input/ output but does not communicate with other mini DVs.
I was afraid that SDXHD would be as incompatible as miniDV X microMV
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

HDR-HC3 is a solid choice...easy tape loading, accessible ports for firewire, hdmi out, usb port, lanc port, and memory stick capability for stills...

compact and durable

if you are not doing all your editing on a computer ( as is my situation ) then the HC -3 works fine.

Give some thought to the HDR CX100 and CX 105,,, see the extensive thread which discusses these models...

depending on prices, they could be a better choice,, of you have the computer to work along side the video camera...

skydive safely

jmy
a 3914
nscr 1817
POPS 3935

I've used the HC3 and it's worked well for me.

>I know also that this is a tape based camera so I'm assuming it is OK for
>freeflying, is it right?

Hmm. "Tape based" doesn't mean it's OK for freeflying. Problems with cameras for freeflying are:

-HD (hard drive) based cameras are a very bad idea.
-Optical stabilization doesn't work well.
-Some cameras (like the CX7) even have a problem with the optical stabilizer when stabilization is turned off. It's a problem when sitflying.

However, many people have had no problems with tape-based cameras for freeflying. As always, details of mounting are important (protection from shock and wind, good connection to helmet.)

>Sure I would love to shoot HD videos but this is not something I will be using
>right now (I have 2 HD TVs but I don't have a blue ray recorder yet).

You can record HD onto a standard DVD and play it back on any Blu-Ray player. You don't need a separate Blu-Ray recorder.

I would get a 2nd hand HC3 (or HC5 or HC1) over any new SD camera. If you want firewire, these cameras are a great choice. Editing on a computer with these cameras is also easier than with the microMV and miniDV tapes are cheaper as well. And wait until you connect on of these with HDMI to your HD TV, you'll be sold ;) Even if you shoot in HD but transfer/edit to SD the quality is better than the microMV cameras.

A CX100/CX105 might be a good choice new, but then you get no firewire, so you'd still need a laptop or something to capture high-def video off other people's cameras.

Do buy a HD lens if you get any of these cameras, the wide angle you have now is probably not HD, get a raynox HD5050 or HD3030 (.5 or .3) those are great and not that expensive.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Do flash type cameras like CX100 and CX105 work well with freeflying? I really liked them! They’re both small and lightweight! The price is almost the same as the used HC3.
Guess I'll have to buy a laptop and take it to the DZ :)Thank you all for the answers they were very helpful. Unfortunately my doubt will now be between the HC3 X CX100/105

Do flash type cameras like CX100 and CX105 work well with freeflying? I really liked them! They’re both small and lightweight! The price is almost the same as the used HC3.
Guess I'll have to buy a laptop and take it to the DZ :)Thank you all for the answers they were very helpful. Unfortunately my doubt will now be between the HC3 X CX100/105

It's not flash that's the problem, it's the OIS that most of these have. The brand new CX100/CX105 have EIS and so far they look good for freeflying. The CX6/7/11/12 are not as suitable.

If you want to buy a laptop that can handle both tape and flash based cameras, make sure it has a firewire port (not all laptops do these days) and if you want to edit using that laptop too, get a good (high-end) one.

ciel bleu,
Saskia