BirdWoman

Sidemounting a HD cam

Is it possible to side mount a HD cam, like a sony HC3 or similar? All of the ones I have seen are top mount...

Since my PC 9 took a dive I am trying to decide what camera I want to go with now. I am on the fencepost of sticking with a PC9 (which I am set up for), or making the transition to a sony HC3. I am flying a Bonehead Optik, with my still on top and video on the side. The problem I am starting to see is that all of the mounts are for top mount. Any suggestions?
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

It is POSSIBLE but most HD cams are quite wide. I'd never sidemount a HD HC-series camera (your only choice for HD tape cameras) myself, nor a CX6/7/11/12. The TG-series is sidemount-able but has other issues.

My suggestion would be to invest in a new helmet that allows top+frontmount or even side-by-side topmounting, then you can get any HD camera you like, of course not a very cheap option but you can mount anything you want that way, now and in future.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I don't think so. I'm in the same boat.

Optik Illusion with side mounted PC350 and top mounted dslr. PC350 is starting to fade on my, so I've been looking at the CX100. I don't think the L bracket I have on there now will do the job as the lens will be sitting too low on the bracket...

2K Composites FF3 fits all the Sony HD cameras even the big HC9

Correct me if im wrong (not flying a camera yet, but want to in the future and reading lots about it) but isnt 2k composites one of the very few that has an inset side mount for HD cameras as so to make them a lower profile and avoid riser strikes. To me this seems best option (besides top mount). Anything else seems like it would be a huge snag hazard
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

2K Composites FF3 fits all the Sony HD cameras even the big HC9

HC9 is effectively the same size as the HC3. Same box fits all HC series.

No, not everything else is a huge snag hazard.
Spend some time talking with the camera flyers at your DZ, read a lot of posts here, and be up on what's new when it comes time to make your helmet decisions. Be aware that buying a helmet that is camera-specific potentially limits your options for future camera designs/models/sizes.

sorry i ment to say that most HD cams pose a snag hazard, other cameras with a lower profile seem better suited for a side mount.

I talk with everyone i can, learning as much as possible....TONS of information to take in. Thanks DSE
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Be aware that buying a helmet that is camera-specific potentially limits your options for future camera designs/models/sizes.

I recomend the FF3, i had a pc109 when i originally bought my FF3 of course sods law the thing got dropped and was uneconomical to repair so i got hold of a hc3 all i had to do was buy a new camera cover form the guys at 2kc which was a straight swap so very easy and very cheap and not as wide as you might think.

Is the FF2 the same size as the FF3? If i am correct they just changed from a bolt holding it closed to a bungee. Am I correct on this?

I have a FF2 and love it. Would love to get a HD camera, But don't want the added expense in buying a new helmet too ;)

Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!