jdfreefly

2ndturn ebay store

A possible good option for you bargain shoppers out there:

http://stores.ebay.com/2ndTurn-electronics

I was looking to replace my HC5 that was stolen a few months ago and ended up buying from these guys.

End result was $250 for a used hc5 with only the battery, no other accessories..which was perfect since the thieves had not stolen any of those. Overall I would say it was a pretty good experience.

Two words of caution:
1 - The items they sell generally have something missing or imperfect. They will be very honest about this but it is up to you to read the description carefully.
2 - They will put cali sales tax on the item. My final bid was about $230. They covered shipping but after tax it drove the final price up to about $250.

Upside - I paid through paypal the day the auction ended and had the camera in hand in three days.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

I may be wrong but,...

I was under the impression that 2nd Turn Electronics is owned and operated by Circuit City, who uses this outlet to get rid of stuff they can't really sell in their stores. I would guess most of this stuff was either returned for service under replacement warrantee, or was an in-store demo (i.e. lots of fingers pulling and prodding).

Additionally, if I am correct, their parent company recently declared bankruptcy, which could complicate or compromise their policies. I know their prices look low, but personally I would rather buy used from an original owner who bought a product for one vacation, or for their precious child's performance in the school play, and is now selling a barely used item (much different than used pro stuff which is usually well-worn, and definitely better than buying from someone who strapped the camera to their head and jumped repeatedly from an aircraft with it...).

They also have decent customer service. i've bought an HC3 from them awhile back. It was in like new condition, but some errors started popping up in a week or so. They offered to replace it and when they couldnt find same exact model with no missing parts, they refunded the money in full, no hassles.

For what it's worth, I scored an HC5 from them a couple of months back for $250. The cables were missing but that was it. A trip to monoprice.com fixed that (except for the "half moon" cable. Got that from suntekstore.com in Hong Kong for $1). I also picked up an extra Sony NPFH70 battery with camcorder case for $40 from 2ndturn. No complaints on either purchase.