markovwgti

Re-recording over used tape?

Is it just me or is the quality much worse when you reuse a tape? Sony and fujifilm tape on a pc1000

The quality should be exactly the same,...until you get drop-outs. Then it is a major, major problem. But why risk that in the first place? B&H sells Mini-DV tapes for $2.20/each before shipping. On average, I can fit 10 tandems on one tape. Isn't it worth a measly 25 cents to lower the risk of ruining your customers' "once-in-a-lifetime" experience?

i have to admit that I have one or two tapes per cam and that for years. I guess they have been overwritten dozends of times and guess what:

No Problem at all!!
I would expect some problems because of the mechanical "use" of the media but there is`nt. At least for me....
(PC1000 and PC330)

But as already said: The quality will be exactly the same until you see dropouts (very very visible!). Digital either works or works not.

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

It has been petitioned that I end the tech talk.
So, we'll leave it that every time you wind, play, record, you stretch that plastic thing that this high-teck rust is glued to and you also move the rust around. Some brands of tape won't stretch as much as other brands/qualities.
In some climates, the rust becomes more rusty. There is a little man on the tape that has the job of correcting problems. After 20 years, he wants as much reference data as he can get so he can assemble your picture correctly. If all the reference manuals aren't there, he might not be able to. Can you remember every detail clearly from 20 years ago?

Just wondering...Im definitely not using used tape for tandems...i have about 2 tapes with some useless footage on there i wanted to record over for fun jumps!!

For fun jumps, and RW, I fit even more jumps on one tape than for tandems (no ground or plane footage, mostly just freefall). So it is even cheaper to use a new tape for these jumps. We're now talking five to ten cents per jump to use fresh tape stock (WTF, it's less than half a percent of a jump ticket). I do have some old tapes that I have no further use for, and I do use them on the ground for dubs and utility work. But never for original content.

So, we'll leave it that every time you wind, play, record, you stretch that plastic thing that this high-teck rust is glued to and you also move the rust around. Some brands of tape won't stretch as much as other brands/qualities.
In some climates, the rust becomes more rusty. There is a little man on the tape that has the job of correcting problems. After 20 years, he wants as much reference data as he can get so he can assemble your picture correctly. If all the reference manuals aren't there, he might not be able to. Can you remember every detail clearly from 20 years ago?

So, you have looked at a used DV tape through an electron microscope, eh? :P

[So, you have looked at a used DV tape through an electron microscope, eh? :P

Back in the day when BASF was the oem for everything on the planet...yeah. But you know, that damn rust stuff is different today than it was then. They even improved carrier signal by as much as +4dB!! (whatever the hell that means:S).

A jumper I know bought a nice HD camera, then bought the expensive HD tapes for it, and then proceeded to shoot in SD quality only. Okay...

Now after a while he asked me if I could tell what the problem with his camera was as he had loads of dropouts and the camera was still quite new. Turns out that because the tapes were so expensive he just reused them time and time again B|

BTW I would advise to stick with one brand tape, I had the best results (= less dropouts) when I used just one brand with any one camera.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Well I for one would like to recall that petition!!! I learn a LOT from your geek speak sir! Somebody should be smacked up side their head for putting forward such a petition. They don't like it, just don't damn read it. >:(

======================
Edit to add, seems I should have kept reading before responding. I'm not the only one with that reaction. :o:ph34r::):)

BTW I would advise to stick with one brand tape, I had the best results (= less dropouts) when I used just one brand with any one camera.

I read somewhere that different lubricants are used on different brands of tape and that when these lubricants get deposited on the little roller thingies in the camera, the mixture from the different tapes used becomes gooey and causes lots more of those little squares jumping all over the screen:P

Tape KY is no longer really an issue due to all the problems that occurred a decade or so ago, but it's still a good idea to choose a brand/model and stick with it.
Higher quality tape does have higher value error correction, but doesn't mean a better picture. It just provides a higher likelihood of the picture being correctly assembled.
'Nother small trick to help assure better tape life, store tape in any direction but the largest flat part. Ends, sides, but not flat. This allows the tape to stay aligned with hubs. Not a huge deal, but every little advantage helps.