drunkenmunkey

concern mounting DSLR using Zkull system and my helmet

Hey all

I need a little advice here. I have just purchased a canon Eos1000d / Rebel something or other, and I have a locally made fibreglass camera helmet (FF2 style) with a nice flat area on top for a stills camera.

I quite fancy the Zkull quick release system as the method of mounting my camera but my concern is over just how flat the top of my helmet actually is. when I hold the camera against the top of the helmet in the position it would mount to, there appears to be a small difference where the centreline of the top of the helmet is a small fraction lower down than the outside edge of the flat component of the helmet. when i hold the camera against the top of the helmet, a gap of maybe only 0.2 - 0.3mm between the camera's screw thread and the helmet.

my concern is that this gap would prevent the camera from mating successfully with the helmet if I used the Zkull system since it is apparently so flush with the helmet when installed.

so my question is for anybody who has retrofitted a zkull kit to their helmet to let me know if you have had a similar issue when installing it.

or is it quite a common thing for the flat top to be less than 100% flat.

im sure you can see my concern since installing the zkull requires drill sawing a huge hole in the top of your helmet, and its really not something i want to commit to until I am satisfied that it will be a succesfull install.

and before somebody advises that I contact the manufacturer, I have already emailed and got no reply after a week or so

thanks for looking

0.2-0.3 doesn't really matter if you fit the Zkulls into your flat surface. The base ring is about 1 mm high and after installation it sits that 1mm above the "flat" surface. This creates you a 65 mm wide completely flat part.
You would have to be worried, if the surface is +/- 1mm but then I wouldn't call it a flat surface any more.
Have a look here and you'll see how the base of the Zkulls sits slightly above the surface.
I've just integrated a ZkullsTM in the top of a Cookie MXV. I'll take a picture from the side and post it so you see. the 1mm "step".

Was your camera helmet desinged for this mount? My guess is no, so this is a custom application. It will require some fabrication work to make the two fit together. If you want a 'cookie cutter' helmet, purchase all of your mounts from the helmet manufacturer. Even then, expect toi make some 'adjustments' to make it work for you.

Between all of the different types of cameras, the different places you can mount them, and different types of mounts available, you have to be 'creative' when you put it all together.

Thanks so much for those pics and your advice Reinier. Looking at those pics, I will have no problems using a Zkull on my helmet. what are your opinions with this system then?

in response to Dave, your advice on purchasing mounts from the helmet manufacturer makes sound sense to me, but the helmet was made by a local guy at his home, and he does not make mounts - at least not yet. so yes this will be a custom installation as you say.

some pics attached of my helmet's flat top, but basically, FF2 copy

in response to Dave, your advice on purchasing mounts from the helmet manufacturer makes sound sense to me, but the helmet was made by a local guy at his home, and he does not make mounts

How about buy the mount, and let the helmet builder put it together. The helmet looks pretty good, so the builder has the skills to put it together, and probably do a pretty nice job of it.

If he's looking to expand into building mounts, an opportunity to work with an existing mount and incorporate it into his own helmet would be a valuable learning experience.