Fuzzy

Canon Raw (.CR2) Images and Vista Issues

Trying to help someone who is not able to view their Canon raw images (thumbnails) in Vista. Hoping someone here can shed some light.

He has downloaded and installed the recent plugin from the Adobe site that says it should fix the problem but still nothing.

I'm using a Mac so can't help there, and my wife's computer has XP, her D90 raw images/thumbs can be viewed with no problems.

Any thoughts?

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

They don't need CS4, they just need the updated version of Adobe RAW viewer.

XP does not thumbnail CR2 files nor will any of the built in software display them, you have to get third party software to do it. (Hint look at Lightroom or Picasia for the viewing and a ton more)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well, that would be true if the latest version of adobe camera raw was compatible with older versions of photoshop. Unfortunately, it's only compatible with CS4.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4220 "The Camera Raw 5.2 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS4..."

I just got a 50D and I have CS2. I'd love if there was a way to upgrade it to be able to edit raw files from my camera. Looking like I'll be buying either Lightroom or another program that can edit/convert raw files.

Dave

You can download a free 30 day trial version of lightroom from adobe. I tried it out recently and really liked it, although i don't shoot skydiving in raw. I have not played with raw images for a long time

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Downloaded it tonight. I've tried it before for editing jpegs, but found it too slow compared to picasa. For raw, it's looking good. The other program I'm trying is called Capture One. Gets better reviews for quality of converted files, but has a lot less features than lightroom.

I've never worked with raw files until I got this new camera... It's basically a nightmare! :)
Dave

Trying to help someone who is not able to view their Canon raw images (thumbnails) in Vista. Hoping someone here can shed some light.

He has downloaded and installed the recent plugin from the Adobe site that says it should fix the problem but still nothing.

I'm using a Mac so can't help there, and my wife's computer has XP, her D90 raw images/thumbs can be viewed with no problems.

Any thoughts?

Did he install the file in the correct folder?
I havent done it in a while but you have to downlaod the file and replace one of the old files in order for it to work.

did he restart after he installed it?
My photos

My Videos

XP does not thumbnail CR2 files nor will any of the built in software display them, you have to get third party software to do it. (Hint look at Lightroom or Picasia for the viewing and a ton more)

XP Raw file viewer

How to get RAW thumbnails in Vista
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I stopped doing raw files years ago.I don't think its worth all the headaches and time.I have some other non skydiving pro photographer friends that quit using it too. Even they say it's over rated. I agree there's more info there to work with .

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I have some other non skydiving pro photographer friends that quit using it too. Even they say it's over rated.

The term "pro photographer" is quite widespread.

Think about news photographers. They most often shoot JPG. Why ? Because they have enough experience to expose the photo correctly anyway and their priority is to have the photo done fast so they may go shoot more and make more money. Ultimately their objective is journalistic, not photographic.

On the otherhand you may compare him to a photographer that works in a studio. He will most definetly work RAW. His priority is make quality, not quantity.

I apply the same rule in skydiving:

Tandems: JPG
More ambitious work: RAW

They did everything right AFIK, and did re-boot.

I haven't tried a Canon raw file on my wife's computer, but as mentioned originally after adding the latest plugin, her Nikon raw thumbnails from the D90 can be viewed in the Windows preview and in Elements7.

One thing I forgot to put in the other post is that the person with the problem is using Elements 6 & has a Canon XTI, so theirs is not an apples to apples comparison to the wife's.

From reading the other posts here and other web stuff, it sounds as though it is a combination of Vista vs Canon vs Elements Version. They have also tried some other downloads with no luck.

Thanks

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

Raw+jpg is a lot slower in the burst buffer then just JPG or just RAW is. I'll shoot jpg on tandems and RAW on fun jumps.

That depends on the camera and card. With my D80 and D200, RAW+jpeg is no problem at all, even for exit shot bursts or the occasional photogenic 90 shots per tandem (ok the snow was pretty...) there is really no difference in speed. In fact even my old D70 and D70s had no trouble with that, although in their case the jpegs were normal not fine quality. If you do notice a difference in speed, either you take an awful lot of pictures or you need a better camera :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yes i'm familiar with all those features but it does slow down the camera ,and creates large files . If i was shooting a big formation or something i would probably shoot raw with jpegs imbedded.

I used raw+jpeg on my XTi once when shooting landing pictures in the snow on a cloudy day. Figured I might really mess up, so it might be nice to have raw files. But if i dont mess up, i'll have jpegs ready to go. Well, first canopy came down and I started snapping away. Filled the buffer after a few shots and missed the next landing. Quickly switched back to jpeg and never tried that again.

On the 50D I have now with a faster memory card (it really makes a big difference!), I can shoot pretty much as fast as i'd ever want to on raw+jpeg. Problem is that an 8-gig card can only hold about 356 raw files. Add large jpegs and I'm probably down to 285. At 6 frames per second, i'd run out of ammo way too fast. Memory cards are cheap... but not that cheap!

I'm giving raw a try because people that use it, and learn to do it properly, love it. I was told my a photographer friend that i'll get addicted to raw. I talked with Mike McGowan at nationals last year... he asked if I shot raw. When I said no, he asked why I was throwing away my negatives.

Raw has some serious advantages... but getting a workflow down to handle the huge files is going to take a while.

Dave

If you do notice a difference in speed, either you take an awful lot of pictures or you need a better camera Sly

Option 1 ;)

My 10D choked on both formats. The XTi is much better at it and can shoot at normal pace until the buffer is full but the time to clear the buffer is a while more then just JPG.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com