wildcard451

Nikon D90

A friend of mine is using it after D70 & D80 and is very happy.
Im just sold my D80, and Im buying the D90 for jumping instead of the D300 I have, is lighter and have a better sensor.
After Saskia's comment I found out it has a different remote connection, they change it to share it with a gps. No problem anyway, ebay 12$ D90 remote from China (or 25$ at B&H for the Nikon one), split the cable, some solder and done...
You will not believe the quality compared with the D70. Awesome screen, live view, hd video, 12.3 mpx, self cleaning sensor, 4.5 frames a sec, 3D tracking AF seen on the D3, 3200 iso, etc...
Lets enjoy it :)

A friend of mine is using it after D70 & D80 and is very happy.
Im just sold my D80, and Im buying the D90 for jumping instead of the D300 I have, is lighter and have a better sensor.
After Saskia's comment I found out it has a different remote connection, they change it to share it with a gps. No problem anyway, ebay 12$ D90 remote from China (or 25$ at B&H for the Nikon one), split the cable, some solder and done...
You will not believe the quality compared with the D70. Awesome screen, live view, hd video, 12.3 mpx, self cleaning sensor, 4.5 frames a sec, 3D tracking AF seen on the D3, 3200 iso, etc...
Lets enjoy it :)

Yeah, all in alll I am very impressed with the camera compared to my D70, espescially in terms of fps on the continuous shooting.
I'd like to shell for a D300, but that thing is WAY too damned heavy to think about putting on my head.

Hopefully I can get my rig up and running by spring, once I am allowed to jump in goggles again.

Anyone have any video from these yet? I'm still a student but have been wanting a helmet cam almost since i started training. I have an aiptek 720p camcorder i was planning on using until the recent dslrs came out with hd video. Now i'm thinking a better plan is to wait for the prices of used 5d's to come down or get a 60d when they are released. But was just curious if anyones shot anything yet?

yeah guys, i am interested in knowing wether the D90 kills two birds with one stone being an outstanding camera and video cam? i understand there is no auto focus on the video which may be a problem?

im looking to buy this week so would appreciate somebody in the know steering me in the right direction.

thanks in advance

yeah guys, i am interested in knowing wether the D90 kills two birds with one stone being an outstanding camera and video cam? i understand there is no auto focus on the video which may be a problem?

im looking to buy this week so would appreciate somebody in the know steering me in the right direction.

thanks in advance

No auto focus on the video, but it will record excellent HD video at full res, but only puts 5min on a 4gb card.

I would not use it to replace a video camera.

/Only been playing with it for a few days, will not be mounting it for another month.

Depends on what you want to use the video for. There is still no alternative to jumping both a video camera and a stills camera. Stills from video cameras are various degrees of crappy, video from DSLRs isn't exactly crappy but also not a substitute for a real video camera. Yet ?

Some interesting reading:
review 1
review 2

BTW not having autofocus would be the least of MY worries, as I very rarely use autofocus for video anyway, and never for skydiving or filming swoop competitions and stuff.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

but only puts 5min on a 4gb card

Not exactly true: there is a 5min limit PER VIDEOCLIP due to the higher import duties in Europe for videocameras.

Hmm, not my experience, esp as I am not in Europe.

When I change settings off of the full-res, it goes up to ~20min on the 4gb card.

I am loving the pictures I am getting out of it so far and cannot wait to take this thing in the air.

Now to find a good lens for freefall. :-)

gents, i have bitten the pullet and purchased the D90, please can someone offer ome advice on getting it set up on my helmet. Is there a special bracket need to mount it on the top of the hlemet? anyone have a web addey and model of bracket.

also can i buy a switch of any form that does not requirte me making any manual mods, ie soldering etc.

i cant wait to get it going but need some help

i than all in advance :o)

It's a very nice camera for skydiving however you'll have to wire the remote yourself as it's slightly different from the D70s/D80 remote and I haven't heard about anyone selling switches made for a D90 yet (Laszlo..?).

A bracket? Nope, just mount it on a flat surface upside down up front or right side up on ront or on top of your helmet (or get creative and get a shark fin and mount it sideways up top), best use a good quality quickrelease.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

For mounting:
http://www.rcb-lab.com/index.php/attachment-systems/1-zkulls-tm-attachment-system

Switch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Switch-Cable-Release-For-Nikon-MC-DC2-D90-AK11_W0QQitemZ280305276414QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item280305276414
or in B&H.

I dont know if someone make them ready to fly, but if not, is a good time to learn how to solder a couple of cables...;)

Im just got my D90, and I love it!

Hi thanks for your repsponses they are greatly appreciated. however with resepct to the mount clip this is for flat surfaces and I use an airgunner which does not have the flat mounting plate. Is it possible to get a bracket? Sorry I should of stated this in my first post!

secondly the remote unit you mentioned, i take it it plugs into the camera and you use the remote with your hand? or convert to bite or blow etc? The latter I assume is more correct? SOrry for my naieve questions.

If he latter is correct I assume this is where the sodering aspect come in?

thanks for your responses in advance :O)

Triple Yes...

Hi thanks for your repsponses they are greatly appreciated. however with resepct to the mount clip this is for flat surfaces and I use an airgunner which does not have the flat mounting plate. Is it possible to get a bracket? Sorry I should of stated this in my first post!

secondly the remote unit you mentioned, i take it it plugs into the camera and you use the remote with your hand? or convert to bite or blow etc? The latter I assume is more correct? SOrry for my naieve questions.

If he latter is correct I assume this is where the sodering aspect come in?

thanks for your responses in advance :O)

Hi Guys, i now have purchased the remote for the D90, which consists of a plug on a lead to a hand held push button device. Can you please explain what i must do now to turn it into either blow or bite control. ps. do you recommend bite or blow? do i need to buy anything further to this?

Cut the cable close to the push button, should be 3 wires inside. 2 of them goes together, and release the shutter when contact the third one. You need to try until you'll find the correct combination. Make sure you can check the display and the menu, one combination of cables allows you to shoot, but not that...
Blow, bite or push with the tongue, is only a matter of choice, I tried all and choose blow, most people here like tongue.
You can buy the bite, tongue or blow switches with leads to solder to your release cable in Paragear or Square one, etc...
http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=455&level=1
http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p522.asp#TongueSwitch

Good luck!
Gustavo

Has anyone had any problems with the GPS port failing? Mine recently broke and im thinking about building a mount that holds the tongue switch wire in pace so it doesnt move around from the air blowing over it. Anyone done anything similiar to this?