guscabana

New Sony AVCHD HDR-CX100, CX105

Just got mine this evening!! didn't know fed-ex does go arounds! Stopped by earlier in the day (I was @ work) and I get home at 9 and he pulls up! Gotta love that!
Now.......how does this damn thing work?! jk
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I'm not sure, if I understand what you mean exactly, but...

- velcro strap: If you mean the velcro strap for holding the box-door closed...I think it doesn't need more, because it's hardly impossible that the box-door can open alone. However: the cx100 is fixed with a big fat screw ;)

single element lens: I used the old wide-eye from my old pc104 (same diameter of the winding).

The strap has velcro on it that can come lose I think, which is why all my tonfly boxes have had their straps sewn so it cannot work itself lose. I don't have screws in my cameras so the strap is all that holds the camera to my helmet, plus usually 2 extra velcro straps that are on my helmet anyway.

The lens, i'd buy a raynox 3032 or 5050 if I were you, and sell this lens, as the single element lens is a shame to use on a HD camera (it brings the image quality way down) especially since you topmount it anyway.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It sounds fascinating how you hold your camera in the box :) My reason for using screws: Prevention of vibrations. I think, if the box is open I also can jump. I will not lose the camera. Any pictures of your helmet?
I used 5 screws. 4 screws for fixing the box and the camera-screw. All of this screws I can releasing inside of my helmet.

You are right with the lense! But first I have to put money aside ;) For the first time it will be enough. Minimum wide-eye ;)

Hey all
Sorry if this has been answered already, but I couldn't read 24 pages of posts today.Has anyone any experience using a CX100 on PAL systems in Europe? If there are limitations what are they?
My previous experience with NTSC cameras in Europe has been that they play directly through most PAL T.V. and DVD players.As far as editing goes, doesn't adobe premier have a solution/option for selecting the format?

Thanks
Mike
ORGASMO RODRIGUEZ
If your gunna be dumb
You better be tough

Maybe this is a bit off-topic.
Anyone bought the Tonfly box for this cam? Does it come with both top and side mounting on the same box?
So you don't need to buy two boxes one for top mounting and one for side mounting.

i do its a great solution - if you need pictures pm me

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

So I've decided to buy this one too :)
I'm also getting a brand new Tonfly CC1 helmet :) since i don't have a proper video helmet since I'm new to the video part of this lovely sport :)
I know it's been talked about before what wide angle lens that's best but i gotta ask again. For me as a newcomer what should i pick? I'm gonna do both FF and FS with it.

Hey all
Sorry if this has been answered already, but I couldn't read 24 pages of posts today.Has anyone any experience using a CX100 on PAL systems in Europe? If there are limitations what are they?
My previous experience with NTSC cameras in Europe has been that they play directly through most PAL T.V. and DVD players.As far as editing goes, doesn't adobe premier have a solution/option for selecting the format?

Thanks
Mike

(upthread it says): The only difference to the two cameras is the CX100 is 60Hz interlaced video, and the 105 /"100 PAL/Euro edition" (whatever) is 50Hz interlaced (60i and 50i respectively).

I'm also interested in any experiences of trying the 100 in Europe, as the 100 on B&H is about $150 cheaper than the 100E, which would be nice!

Here are some pics of my setup:

Tonfly CC1 with double Zkulls connectors for both top and side mounting. Helmet feels very lob-sided with side-mounting though - I'll only use like this if I put a still camera on top.

Lens is a Century 0.3x baby death - plenty of space for it.

I'll only use like this if I put a still camera on top
------------------------------------------------------------

A friend and I were talking and are thinking that with HD cameras like this, why couldn't you eliminate the need/use of a dedicated stills camera.You can pull stills from anywhere on the HD video that would be suitable for blowing up to 8"X10" with quality probably as good as any stills camera.
Has anyone been doing this.It would seem logical and safer due to the compact size of the CX100 to have ONLY this camera on the top of your head.
Limitations may be quality and size for publishing purposes, however should be adequate for a Tandem customer video/stills package.......
Any thoughts on this from the camera/video geeks?
ORGASMO RODRIGUEZ
If your gunna be dumb
You better be tough

Thanks Phil, as I said in an earlier post, I didn't have the heart to read 24 pages of posts......So even with a better lens, the small imaging sensors would limit the quality so that stills pulled from the HD video wouldn't even be usable/suitable for a Tandem customer stills picture 8x10 or smaller?
ORGASMO RODRIGUEZ
If your gunna be dumb
You better be tough

>You can pull stills from anywhere on the HD video that would be suitable
> for blowing up to 8"X10" . . .

Not really. At best you might get reasonable 3x5" prints with a good lens (i.e. Raynox) but you're still not even approaching the quality of even a cheap point and shoot.

So even with a better lens, the small imaging sensors...

And keep in mind that a "better lens" doesn't really help. What we put on video cameras are really lens adapters (as opposed to the dedicated lenses that are on SLRs). They don't replace the permanent lens that is on the video camera, they just add to it. And the weakest link theory dictates that you will never really improve the lens that is on the camera resolution- or clarity-wise.