guscabana

New Sony AVCHD HDR-CX100, CX105

does the cx 100 HAVE a remote ??? or NO???
I saw one at a camera shop on thursday....
CANNOT believe how small it is...

the clerk said that the cx100 is now or else soon to be discontinued...

The CX-100 does not have a remote... but that's fine it is still possible to do slow motion and such... just not with the remote.

fwiw the store clerk is probably not completely off their rocker with regard to the CX-100 being discontinued... keep in mind that all sony camcorders are discontinued sooner or later... (the CX-7 is long since gone...) I believe I recall someone saying at one point that sony will plan on manufacturing a certain number of any particular model of camera then they don't make any more.

fortunately they always come up with something new for us to play with...

of course the sales person could have merely been trying to sell a camera to you... figuring you might be more likely to buy if you think you won't be able to get it in the future... :o:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Unless it was crazy popular as a camera, I don't see how it would discontinue that soon. It has only been on the market for like a month (or less).

I would imagine at least 2-3 months on the market minimum. Any less than that and I don't see how they could recoup the R&D, Tooling and Production.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

roger that.

i was surprised that he so flippantly used the term. "discontinued"......
and maybe he's a bit ahead of things, there....:S
but could be... he was pressing for a sale...:|

he showed me an "original" pricing label of 799.00 and then the current pricing of 599...

i had mentioned to him that i was happy with my sony HC 3 , and wasn't shopping at all.., was just being "knowsey"....
I had gone there to get a flex cable to go between my Nikon D70s and an SB 800..... and so, that is my current project...

as for the CX100... just further evidence that camcorder technology and innovation,, just keep on happening!!!..

Interesting point about a "set number of units" being built, and then moving on to the next thing in the R & D pipeline....:|

it would be good to KNOW just How many units of each of these models , ARE being produced,, where they are going, and therefore, HOW long they 'll be available, and then just what their relative "rarity factor", might be...
at current pricing, could be sensible to buy a couple..;)

jt

no no no
it wasn't shady..

this was at a branch of a LOCAL long time camera store, which now has 3 or 4 outlets in the area..

Used to be " Rowe Photo" but It's now called
ROWE Video & Audio...

true enough some of the staff is fresh off the street, with that sorta "circuit city salesman" approach,,, but most of the staff are long time photography experts. who cater to pros and novices alike.:|

i happen to be in rochester NY, home of Kodak.. and R. I. T. and cameras, film and now digital,,, are taken very seriously here...:)
This outifit has a good reputation... they are pretty much cost comparative with others and in additon to reasonable parts, components, and supplies pricing, they sell full package, complete set-ups,, as intended by the manufacturers,,, never lowballing, and then hitting you with extras...>:(

i appreciate your reaction, and in some cases that sorta thing is rampant, but NOT here.....
jmy

I had a moron at Best Buy tell me the same thing, even as he told me they haven't had the CX100 in stock "for months."
Then I walked around to the outside of the camer department and showed him three colors and 6 stock items that his store hasn't had "in months."
:S
Sometimes store clerks are just uninformed (or very dim.).

I have tested the CX100 together with cameye II trough a lanc adapter, at it works perfect, but only when the "turn on by lcd" is disable.
Have read it somewhere i this thread that it would not work.
I know that the cameye don´t show the error codes for low bat/mem, but don´t see much problem in that.

it's very easy to make a 2.5mm to AV/D adapter. It misses some of the prototcols, but it does turn on/off/start/stop record as it should. If you don't mind spending 50.00 for the connector from Sony, cutting it up, buying a 2.5mm female connector for around 3-5.00, soldering it on, and your time is worth nothing, then it'll save you around 40.00 buying a Hypeye that is pre-made, has a 90 degree turn in it, and a better overall switch (in addition to a number of other functions/features).

Problem is my custom helmet has it's cam-eye glued in in such a way it's impossible to remove without damaging the lining, and also impossible to neatly stick in another indicator or switch. An adapter would make that helmet usuable with my CX105 too, without having to ducktape another hype-eye to the helmet. But I'm no good with a soldering iron, so I'd need one ready-made ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Alright DSE (or other video whiz for that matter). I finally got the camera. I recorded some random footage and imported into Premier CS4 for Mac. First the import process took literally seconds. However, the playback of the footage in the preview window is very jumpy and will all together stop after a while. Is this a problem with how processor intensive the format is and my computer just won't handle it? (MacBook with 2.4 Ghz dual core, 4gb ram, 667mhz fsb) Also, when I export it with Premier what is the best format for viewing at full resolution? I have tried a couple different ones and they are so far very poor. I am going to keep putzing with it, but maybe you could shed some light. Thanks!
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

The System requirements for PPro CS4 is dual core 2.8, if you want to do real time previews at slower speeds then you need to change the quality level to draft and shrink it to a smaller size for the preview window.

I'm looking at building a much faster Windows 64 system to run PP CS4 on later this year to chew though AVCHD at real time levels.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah I am thinking if I am going to really get into this editing stuff I am going to have to get a faster Mac and run Bootcamp. I have tried running the quality at draft and 10% size and it won't do it. Soooo... Wish I would've known before throwing down on the whole adobe collection for mac. Oh well I am not doing tandem videos so being in a hurry isn't totally necessary. Who knows maybe Snow Leopard will break the cycle.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I am transferring the .mts files to an external hard drive and running the files via Firewire off of it. So I am probably just out of luck with the speed of my machine. Looks like I will have to transcode it to something easier to work with on a Mac. Sucks because I really like everything else about my Mac.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters