guscabana

New Sony AVCHD HDR-CX100, CX105

>How does the viewing angle match up to a 1.6 crop factor SLR?

It's close to 15mm on my Canon XSi with the 10-22mm lens, I think. (Comparing to a 16:9 format shot on my HC1 with a Raynox 5050.) I'll check if I get a chance.

However, I notice very little consistency in such numbers. I have an older .45 lens that is much narrower than the Raynox .5 on some camcorders.

I see it on B&H and its .5, would really like a .3 for a lense. Price isnt bad. $105 ANybody know if its only available in .5? Sorry for all the questions:D

The .3 in a Raynox is the 3030. Some places will have it listed as the 3032. To my understanding, the variations in part numbers pretty much only reflect the number of different step-up rings that come with it.
The 3030 is a good lens too, but the only thing I don't like about it is that it's not threaded for a filter.

>
However, I notice very little consistency in such numbers. I have an older .45 lens that is much narrower than the Raynox .5 on some camcorders.

Thanks! I agree. But without having the lens to actually test, I think the SLR lens comparison is a better measuring tool than trying to compare video lens specs. There seems to be more consistency with SLR lenses than with video lenses.

That's because SLR lenses don't have to deal with myriad sensor sizes, zoom through, etc.
The reason you don't generally see threads on wide angle adapters is that filters on the front are usually not a wise move. Flaring, etc are potential problems.
I'll have a review of the CX100 up soon.

I see it on B&H and its .5, would really like a .3 for a lense. Price isnt bad. $105 ANybody know if its only available in .5? Sorry for all the questions:D

The raynox 3030 matches up better with 15/16mm lenses, it's slightly less wide on a HC5 than my 16mm on a nikon (1.5 cropfactor) is. The raynox 5050 matches up great with 18/20mm on a nikon (1.5 cropfactor). Canon is slightly less wide with 1.6 cropfactor.

Why would you use a filter on a lens like this, the 3030 is pretty cheap, you get less quality and more flare, so I couldn't care less that this lens has no thread :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

unapproved, rough draft, but figured I'd share early.
CX100 review

Hey DSE,

Thanks for an awesome reveiw of this camera! Sounds like it is the bomb!

I am really glad that I have waited to make the jump to HD (mostly based upon watching your comments here about better things to come). Having said that, is this cam as good as it is gonna get (for the near future) and we should all go out and get one now or is the next generation or two of this cam gonna be even better (size, features, functionality?) which might be worth waiting another year or so for?

I do have a couple of questions about the review.
1)

This camcorder has a manual open/close for the lens cover. The LCD panel will notify users if the Record button is engaged while the lens cover is closed.

Will the HypEye D Pro let you know if you are attempting to record with this manual lens cover CLOSED? If not I can see some gaff tape being used to keep it open all the time.

2)

Next, disable the Power On By LCD option if a remote is part of the planned operation of the camcorder. For example, when using the HypEye D Pro remote/camera indicator, the LCD panel must be opened first, then the HypEye may be enabled and will control the camcorder. If the Power On By LCD option is disabled, the HypEye D Pro will be able to turn on/off the camcorder, start/stop recording, and control functions of the camcorder while the camcorder is in a box or cage. It becomes a hands-free operation when the Power On By LCD option is enabled.

I beleive the last word in this paragraph should be disabled. I know you said it was a rough draft, I'm just trying to be a blessing.:)

Thanks again for all that you are doing for the skydiving community in general and for us vidiots in particular. ;)

Blue Skies,
Jason

Why would you use a filter on a lens like this, the 3030 is pretty cheap, you get less quality and more flare, so I couldn't care less that this lens has no thread :)

The main reason I use a filter on my Raynox 5050 is to reduce problems with the lens fogging up. For whatever reason the "bubbled out" glass of the Raynox lens tends to fog up frequently for me. I screwed on a UV filter and the problem went away. I assume it's just because the glass is flat on the filter.

Nice review DSE, thanks! I have a couple of questions though;

1. Are you saying that you can record without any media inserted into the camcorder "Simply switch to “Internal Memory” mode and you’ve just gained nearly 60 minutes of high-quality recording in FH mode!"

2. What would happen if the memory card filled up during recording? Would it continue to record to the internal memory?

Pat

If the memory card fills up during use, it does not roll over. You must intentionally select one or the other in the menu.
My recommended workflow is that you leave internal empty, using an 8 or 16GB card. Keep the internal memory for those "oops" moments.

Bear in mind, I have a prototype model, and twice now I've seen Sony change code, so a memory card rollover isn't entirely out of the question, although unlikely.

Cookies respsone to my email for the box is as folows:

We will be taking pre-order in the next few week with availability in
the next 6-8 weeks

Regards
Jason Cooke
Cookie Composites Pty Ltd
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.cookiecomposites.com
Phone: +61 7 32841952
Fax: +61 7 32841969

I will be pre ordering for one when available!

Can you copy files from the internal memory to a card using the camera's menu system?

Yes... as well as the other way around... (mind you I don't know this from experience just from reading DSE's review. ;))
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I bought a couple through this link, because the BH affiliate program puts a coupla coins in a skydiver's pocket.

Talked to Barry Schilben at BH today, they're not in the Jersey warehouse, they're initially drop shipping. Interesting.
FWIW, I bought red bodies.

Oh they're in stock at the B&H store, just stopped in and got mine yesterday. Damn this thing is tiny. I love it.

Also got the Hypeye D Pro from B&H, but that's on backorder. :(

So does the strap come off of this thing or do I have to cut it?

Nice review DSE.

In the review you say,

If you need to share media, no worries. You can easily dub media from a mem stick to the internal Flash memory, or dub from the internal Flash memory out to a media stick. If Firewire has been your primary means of sharing video files, MSPD is now your transport medium for sharing video. From skateboarders to skydivers, this feature will be much loved, much appreciated, and much late in file-based recording systems.

Can the camera downgrade AVHCD to MPEG2 when dubbing to make it accessible to those without AVHCD capable software?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

In the review you say,

If you need to share media, no worries. You can easily dub media from a mem stick to the internal Flash memory, or dub from the internal Flash memory out to a media stick. If Firewire has been your primary means of sharing video files, MSPD is now your transport medium for sharing video. From skateboarders to skydivers, this feature will be much loved, much appreciated, and much late in file-based recording systems.

Can the camera downgrade AVHCD to MPEG2 when dubbing to make it accessible to those without AVHCD capable software?

Nope. Downconvert is strictly an off-camera process.

Other than FCP, everything out there natively supports AVCHD now so I don't know that I'd be concerned about it.
Small correction from the thread you referenced above;
AVCHD isn't a Sony-proprietary format. It was jointly developed between Sony/Panasonic, and Canon, JVC, Sanyo, Mitsubishi have all licensed the codec/technology from Sony/Panasonic.

Easier way to say it is that AVCHD is "the new DV," and it's pretty much ubiquitous at this point.