guscabana

New Sony AVCHD HDR-CX100, CX105

I thing(my opinion) that the quality from a HD lense to SD lense,will be not visiable from the "naked" eye

Then you've got very bad eyes :S

Red eyes and other single element lenses are the worst, even on SD cameras there's a quality difference with better lenses but with HC5, CX105 or similar it's really a shame to use a lens like that, only reason I would if if I really needed to, like on a low profile sidemount CX105, but I'd prefer to topmount it and use a raynox. Best part is, the red-eye can be sold 2nd hand for the same money you'll pay for the raynox new, or even more :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

About the lenses...I thing(my opinion) that the quality from a HD lense to SD lense,will be not visiable from the "naked" eye..If you know what I mean.

Being able to see/not see the weakness of one lens over another is entirely subjective. Objectively, the SD lens is very obvious on a rez chart no matter how you slice it.
Bear in mind, watching footage on an older display or television won't show you any difference one way or another.
If you've got the money, spend it on quality that will carry you into the next few years. If you don't, and soft video doesn't bother you (and NEVER, EVER turn up sharpening on a small handcam) then go for the lower cost lens and be happy.
On some displays it's a challenge to see the difference between SD and HD lenses....The question is, do your customers have better displays? (most do).

Hello there!
I don't test it yet with the lens or without it.
I bought it yesterday.....and for sure there are better lenses than the red eye or the cookie lenses.
I said my opinion nothing more.
Also I don't see a video to compare a HD lens with a SD lens to see the different....

But if the test proves that with the red eye the quality is worst,then for sure I will take my words back.
I believe that the camera makes the different,not a piece of glass....Maybe a high quality glass or a pure glass have a visiable different....
I don't know...
Maybe you have right..
What lens do you advise me to buy??

Also I don't see a video to compare a HD lens with a SD lens to see the different....

Then consider yourself a very lucky person.

I believe that the camera makes the different,not a piece of glass....Maybe a high quality glass or a pure glass have a visiable different....
I don't know...

The glass makes the entire difference. The camera is what it is, you can only degrade the image from there. If it's the camera, why do you suppose every camera manufacturer and third-party lens company makes varying degrees of glass (whether it's camera lenses, binoculars, etc?

There is a lens chart found in the sticky at the top of this page, and there are at least 10 lens recommendations in this thread.
For inside/.3 the Raynox 3000 series (it's big) or the Century Baby Death (it's big)

For outside video work;
The Century .55 for low profile
The Century .65 for maximum resolution (it's big/heavy)
The Raynox 5000 series (It's big)

All resolve at 600 lines or higher. None of the Waycool, Cookie, Royal, Liquid, or off the shelf lenses resolve higher than 280.

Has anyone used any of the SD- MS Pro adapters yet with this camera and if so how do they work? I'm looking at needing SD cards anyways for other things and it would make it a lot nicer on the wallet to just get some SD cards and an adapter or two instead of buying yet another memory card format.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hello again!
Finally I was wrong about the lenses (obviously):-)))))
I filmed something,(not jump) with the red eye and without the lens...
A HUGE different when I saw it on my HD tv.!!!!
Except the wide angle from the red eye the quality was very bad......esspecialy on the corners
I apologize for my previous posts...
It's time to sell my red eye and buy a raynox 5050...;-)
Does anybody wants a red eye with custom made protective filter?? :-)

Hadn't even considered it, Phree, but next time I'm in Walmart I'll buy an adapter and try it. Not sure if the cover will close?
We do this for XDCAM all the time, using Express card adapters to shoot to SD vs SxS. Monstrous saving in cost, except that SD isn't fast enough for 60p.

I'm actually looking at a MicroSD to MS adaptor since I can toss the MicroSD into a Mini or SD adaptor also. The MicroSD is up to Class 6 now for a fraction of the cost of a same size MS Pro chip.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm actually looking at a MicroSD to MS adaptor since I can toss the MicroSD into a Mini or SD adaptor also. The MicroSD is up to Class 6 now for a fraction of the cost of a same size MS Pro chip.

where are you looking to buy... I could stand to have an sdhc card... :$
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The camera has an internal mic, it's decent (better than the CX12). You can control the system with the LCD closed via the HypEye. You need to open the panel, trigger the Hypeye, close the panel, so it's a bit of a PITA, but it's how all the new cameras work; no on/off switches.

I don't know if "we are saying" the same thing but my camera (cx105) has a power on/off bottom.
So, I disabled it to open and close when I open the panel.....I manually open it now and it works (records) when the panel is close...

Hey all AVCHD-dudes and dudettes. Check out this:

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/Accessories/Turbo264HD/

:)

This is a great little piece, but I don't think it is really designed for converting into editable formats, or for a NLE workflow. It is more designed to compress videos to relatively small h.264 files that are easy to watch/stream on the web, iPods and the like. Of course, you can do the same things with Quicktime Pro, but this is a hardware solution that should speed things up, particularly for slower systems.

"Convert videos at amazing speed
Once Nadine clicks the “Start” button, her 15-minute movie is ready to watch in just 15 minutes. It would take over an hour for other AVCHD converters and Mac movie applications to accomplish this same task★. What’s more, the movie is automatically optimized for the format she chose and if applicable, added to her iTunes library, ready to sync."

and

"Turbo.264 HD dramatically accelerates video encoding when used with Mac applications such as iMovie, QuickTime Pro, Final Cut Pro, and EyeTV."

"Turbo.264 HD dramatically accelerates video encoding when used with Mac applications such as iMovie, QuickTime Pro, Final Cut Pro, and EyeTV."

What they are referring to there is encoding videos for the aforementioned uses (i.e., iPods, web, etc.) when outputting from those programs, not inputting. You wouldn't want to convert to h.264 before editing.

Man, how is it possible I missed this entire thread?

Was out at Skydive Houston today and somebody had one of these, and it was total news to me. So freaking small.

HD isn't DV; it is ALWAYS noisier on small chip cams, and of course, the noise is more visible.

Last I saw you, you were giving me crap for still using tape (partially because you had to wait for that tape to cap). Two if the reasons I resisted the CX7 and CX12 were OIS, and some reports I had seen that AVCHD was noisier than HDV. Well, the first of those issues is solved with EIS on the CX100. But the second I am still a bit concerned about. I guess it's not worth fretting over if AVCHD is the new norm, but is it true that it's still noisier/grainier in some light conditions than HDV?

Regardless, for <$600 and the tiny size, I can't really pass it up. Only problem, it's so light it will throw off the weight balance on my helmet as the right side (still camera) becomes comparatively heavier...

Or a better question:
What does the HC5 have that this doesn't? (regarding real video tech, not just plugs and buttons)
What does CX12 have that this doesn't? (still more expensive on SonyStyles)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Or a better question:
What does the HC5 have that this doesn't? (regarding real video tech, not just plugs and buttons)

HC5 has a somewhat better encoder, arguably (very minimally) better picture, far more image control, larger optics, and is easier to edit as a raw format.

What does CX12 have that this doesn't? (still more expensive on SonyStyles)

Manual focus, greater image control, OIS, larger optic, auto lens cover, and a few more bells/whistles.
AVCHD is the new "DV" and it is not noisier than HDV. It has the potential to make noise MORE VISIBLE due to the higher compression, but noise is related to the sensor, not the format. If the sensor is clean, so shall be the picture. The EXMOR processor and imager are the most clean small-format sensors ever developed (and are part of the Cinealta line of XDCAM). They use a sample comparison of pre/post processing to reduce noise, much like phase cancellation of an audio signal.

What makes the CX100 sweet is:
Super small
Lightweight
Picture quality per dollar
1920 x 1080 vs 1440 x 1080
HDMI out for debrief
Composite or component out for immediate debrief or analog editing in SD
Long battery life
SUPER easy to use.
Low comparative cost.``

I have a little problem that has arrised with my cx100. I bought a 16gb pro dou on ebay and it gives me an error message(Memory card my not be working properly, my not record or play back properly). I need to know if any of you have tried a 16gb memory card and does it work in your cx100. Do you know could it be a foreign memory card to U.S. compatibility issue?
The Captain Makes It Happen....

Hi guys!

I have a question to all skydiver, which already jump with a CX100/105 in connection with a Hypeye D Pro...

How do you handle the debrief after, for example, a RW-Jump?
Because without a remote control you have to open the display of the CX and steer (normal play or slow motion) the jump-movie with it, right?? Or do you have any tricks?
Connection to the TV is the normal VideoIn-Interface. No HD-TV :(

P.S. Answer to the MemoryStick-Question: I use MS-MT16G (Sony)...

I've been using Cineform for years, they sponsored an HDV tour with us 6-7 years ago.
Very sweet product, excellent cross-platform codec, and used most recently on "Slumdog Millionaire" as the acquisition and editing codec (yes, the very same as the one they use for AVCHD and HDV conversion).
Pricey, and probably not optimal for rushing skydivers, but you Mac-only guys are crippled anyway for speed with HDV and AVC...This codec kicks the crap out of Prores 4:2:2 and of course, AIC. But the package is spendy.