guscabana

New Sony AVCHD HDR-CX100, CX105

I just ordered one of these cams, can one of you guys that have laid hands on this thing already tell me if it's practical to run this thing using just the Hypeye D mini, or am I going to really wish I'd spent the extra $40 for the Hypeye D pro?

BTW, great bank card personalization! :D

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Duh, I reread my post, and I didn't make myself clear. I understand that the mini won't control the camera, but was wondering if the camera has adequate external controls to use the camera itself for on/off - start/stop, allowing me to get by with just an indicator.

I've got a TRV33, and although I've never jumped it (yeah, I'm gonna owe beer), the external controls are such that I probably could manage it with just an indicator...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

. . . wondering if the camera has adequate external controls to use the camera itself for on/off - start/stop, allowing me to get by with just an indicator.

Although feasible, it seems to me a real hassle. You would have to open the LCD to access the on/off button. Big problem if the camera is in a box. Difficult situation if you want to turn the camera on/off while the helmet is on your head, even if it's not in a box. If you're shooting for $$, spend the extra on the pro. If it's for fun jumping, then maybe you can get away with it. If it was me, and I kept the mini to save $$, I would quickly regret the decision. Just my opinion. :)

Though a bit of extra work, I know plenty of people who turn their camera on (sometimes already on record) about 2 to 3 minutes before exit. If its mostly for your own enjoyment, and no 'must have video' situations, just the indicator light and/or none at all is possible..

Just switching it on, and hitting record (or doing that shortly before exit, when the camera is already on standby) doesnt seem like too big a hassle..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thanks for the input guys!

Sounds like it might be 'penny wise and pound foolish' to not spend the extra $40 for the pro version.

And hell, I just spent $600 plus dollars on a camera, what's another $40 difference between the mini and pro version? I'm such a cheap bastard! :P

Although, the camera fliers I talked to at my DZ told me my neck will be much happier with my decision to purchase the CX100, and not jump the TRV33 I already have. :D

All Century 37mm lenses come with stepdown rings, and they're solid metal quality, not plastic crap like Raynox provides.

I used to think the same way, however should your lens get hit by something or someone, I'd rather lose the wideangle as the crappy plastic ring will hopefully give way easily, than lose lens+front of camera which would be way more expensive. These days I'll happily use the plastic rings supplied instead of buying the metal ones extra. Also some of the metal stepdown rings (or filters, for that matter) for sale are shiny instead of matte black, something I don't particularly want on any video/photo camera.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Plastic rings expand/contract more easily than metal, they grow brittle in sunlight or cold, and generally don't last very long. I have seen a plastic stepdown split and lose a lens on deployment. I'd have a hard time recommending plastic in any case over metal. But that's just my opinion. YMMV.

The Century .55 is a low profile lens; it's not going to come off any differently with a plastic vs metal ring.
Century metal stepdown rings are black metal, not shiny silver. They don't need to be bought; an assortment comes with every Century lens.

All Century 37mm lenses come with stepdown rings, and they're solid metal quality, not plastic crap like Raynox provides.

Thanks DSE. How far would the century .55 stick out from the front of the cx100? would it be anything close to trunk's pic of the liquid lens in post 103?

I think I'd recommend a plastic one of you've already got one anyway to those sidemounters with bigger lenses, these tend to get damaged a lot by banging into the plane door (happened to the same guy twice in 2 weeks :S) and riser slaps and stuff, but it may just be wishful thinking on my part. Haven't had a ring plastic or metal break on me yet, but I would use metal on high-altitude jumps for sure. For normal type 9k/12k jumps we do here, plastic seems to hold up well enough and the raynox lenses aren't that expensive anyway. For a century baby death, different story ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

How far would the century .55 stick out from the front of the cx100? would it be anything close to trunk's pic of the liquid lens in post 103?

Yup, the Century .55 is really low profile. With the step-up right I'd say it sticks about 1cm out from the cam lengthwise, and not all all height/width-wise.

Century .3 on the other hand.. (=

DSE, it sounds like you are in favor of the Century lens vs the Raynox. When looking at your lens comparison it looks to me that the Raynox might have better resolution.

The Century is obviously lower profile which I like but more expensive which of course I don't like.

Will we notice much diference in the image between the two.

And would you please tells us definitively which lens you would recommend and why? And where we might find the best prices.

I'm talking .5 range for tandems only.

And thanks for allowing us to pick your brains.
You obvioulsy have VASST knowledge in this area.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Just got my cx100.

I also own a cx7, and previously a pc1000.

I shoot mostly BASE footage, and wingsuit skydiving footage, and have been happy for the most part with my cx7.

The areas that I saw shake were in some wingsuit footage, but it was occasional (top mount cookie).

I look forward to the cx100 getting put through the paces this week, as I am out in utah for a few days for some slider off base staring wednesday.

However, while I think the cx100 is a great camera on my initial impression, I have decided to keep my cx7 as well.

Why? Night shot too me is important. You can't dayblaze all the time, and the cx7's nightshot is decent.

Also having 2 cameras that take the same memory is great, and batteries, and cables..... And with the adapter ring I can switch between my cookie .45 lens and my raynox .3 on either camera

Looking forward to this camera this season. I hope cookie gets the vert glove pattern for it soon... as having 2 cameras will give me a good amount of interesting angles (front, rear facing, belly mount and hopefully soon, the glove)

the size of the cx100 though, still blows me away! I love technology.

_justin

Hi there,
Like many, I'm about to buy a CX105 from the UK and have a couple of questions that new owners of this camera might be able to help with!

Can anyone confirm that the CX105 will run ok with Final Cut Express on a Mac for basic editing/colour correction etc, or will I need to download patches/codecs to make it work? (if so, where is a good website to start?) As a complete novice I've read on this forum some people were having snags with bit rate/frame loss (and other things I dont yet fully understand) with editing so far with this camera... if so, what needs to be adjusted on the CX105/Mac/Finalcut express to successfully import the AVCHD footage for normal editing?

As the camera is so small I thought an external mike would be a good idea and I noticed with the Hypeye expansion pack you can add an external microphone amongst other things ... will the CX105 support this function to take external sound or is it just for bigger more advanced cameras?

Is the nightshot any good (for BASE)? I currently have a PC105 for comparison?

Many thanks, I hope these questions help anyone else with similar reservations.

Ross.

So, I'm buying it. I have a 0,3x royal and i love it.
I don't wanna loose the extra 0,2 that i have in the 0,3 than the 0,55 century...

So, I don't know what to buy :

-the big...BIG, BIG (78mm x25 mm) and expensive ($280) 0.3x from century
-the nice low profile 0.55x from century (and let my royal fuck my quality image for inside freefly jumps)

What do you think ?