guscabana

New Sony AVCHD HDR-CX100, CX105

Leaving me to believe that its a AVCHD decoding performance issue that causes the fast pans to look a bit jumpy on computer. (i have a pretty fast computer too)

That seems to be somewhat codec dependent too, not just CPU power dependent. I downloaded some posted footage from the CX100 (the wingsuit base footage) that simply wouldn't play using VLC. I downloaded the ffdshow codecs and the same video plays smoothly in WMP on the same hardware.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Leaving me to believe that its a AVCHD decoding performance issue that causes the fast pans to look a bit jumpy on computer. (i have a pretty fast computer too)

That seems to be somewhat codec dependent too, not just CPU power dependent. I downloaded some posted footage from the CX100 (the wingsuit base footage) that simply wouldn't play using VLC. I downloaded the ffdshow codecs and the same video plays smoothly in WMP on the same hardware.

Would it not play at all on VLC or would it be choppy?
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Would it not play at all on VLC or would it be choppy?

Well, it would 'play' if you could call it that, but choppy would be a gross understatement.

It was almost like watching a still slide show, with a nasty random pixel based transition between the stills. :D

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Cool if you get a chance to see if that it let us know, all the videos I saw, except Bills had it. So if anyone has some good quality clips Id love to see them!:)

Thanks.

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

So, I've had my cx100 for about a week now. I don't have a camera mount for my MXV yet. So, no jump video yet.
Anyway, I'm getting some horrible footage indoors with mid to low light. My footage is grainy with HD FQ setting. Outside looks great! Indoors really suck. Is anyone else getting the same results?
The Captain Makes It Happen....

So, I've had my cx100 for about a week now. I don't have a camera mount for my MXV yet. So, no jump video yet.
Anyway, I'm getting some horrible footage indoors with mid to low light. My footage is grainy with HD FQ setting. Outside looks great! Indoors really suck. Is anyone else getting the same results?

Yep. Terrible indoor footage. This is not an indoor camera. I'm also worried about low-light skydives.

How are you setting it up? Put it to EASY and see if you still hate it.
HD isn't DV; it is ALWAYS noisier on small chip cams, and of course, the noise is more visible. But in reasonable light (Lux values are meaningless in small cams) this cam performs on par with everything else in its class. Better, actually.

HD isn't DV; it is ALWAYS noisier on small chip cams, and of course, the noise is more visible. But in reasonable light (Lux values are meaningless in small cams) this cam performs on par with everything else in its class. Better, actually.

I've tried easy, manual, slow shutter. Just seams very noisy. I don't know much about cameras, never the less it seems not to have the HD quality inside.:(

I've tried easy, manual, slow shutter. Just seams very noisy. I don't know much about cameras, never the less it seems not to have the HD quality inside.:(

I have some footage shot in a low light recording studio that is broadcast quality. This camera is pretty impressive for what it is.

As for fast movement I'm not so sure, but I'm still working on figuring out my issues with that.

I have some footage shot in a low light recording studio that is broadcast quality. This camera is pretty impressive for what it is.

As for fast movement I'm not so sure, but I'm still working on figuring out my issues with that.

Could you let me know what setting you have it on?

Could you let me know what setting you have it on?

I think for that footage everything was probably set to factory defaults as far as I can remember. Not 100% sure what slow shutter was set to. But believe me, I was pretty impressed for that being some of the first footage I saw. Make sure you a viewing your stuff on a good interlaced hd monitor.

I'm also worried about low-light skydives.

I recently took my cx100 on a sunset base jump. Was pleasently surprised at how the footage turned out. It was a lot darker than I had thought, but the footage looked pretty good....

I found my cx7 decent in low light (not using night shot) but my PC1000 sucked at anything when the light dropped.

The cx100 is going to replaced my cx7 for every jump but night jumps...

_justin

[The cx100 is going to replaced my cx7 for every jump but night jumps...

The CX100 actually is more light sensitive (and has greater dynamic range) than the CX7 due to the EXMOR sensors, but these can work against you, too.
We've had problems with light balance comparisons between the V7U and the EX1 due to how EXMOR works.
I have NOT run charts in low light, but have used the CX100 in low light. Lemme see if I can put together a recipe for you.
Sure wish the CX series had storable profiles like the bigger cams.:|

With all the bigger cams, ie; Z7/Z5, EX1/3, Z1, V1, etc...you can store "looks" (setups) including gain structure, shutter speed, color prefs, etc. This makes it extremely easy to go from daylight to dark with one-button convenience. These small cams take a little time.

OK got it.

I hope the CX 100 does keep whatever settings you put it on, even after shutting off, so when you power it back up all the previous settings are still there.

It does do that doesn't it?

For 12 hours it does. The focus changes back to auto, as does manual exposure, after 12 hours.. Settings for General Menus remain unchanged. This is consistent with pretty well all handicam-type cameras over the years.

Justin, how does the footage look on hard openings? Any chance we can see it?

Yuri

Hey Yuri- funny enough I am sitting in the SLC airport once again waiting for my jetblue redeye flight home.

Cx100 does well in slider off openings, doesn't skip, or stop/shutoff like some hard drive or tape cameras. It's on par with my cx7 i feel. I used both this trip, but if I could only bring one camera on a trip... it'd be the cx100... unless it was a night only trip....

Having the internal 8 gigs, and then sticking in another card in is great. the weight is better, and even though it is only slightly lighter then the cx7, my neck thanks me....

The one feature I recently fell in love with is the smooth slow record this trip. Makes exits look really cool and openings are awesome... I was directly underneath welshmans shooting some footage of people freefalling it, and it's really cool how it looks....

Downside is I wish it was longer then 3 seconds, but it is really cool, especially on lower jumps... I should have been using the feature before.

We'll see how it holds up....

_justin

as for the footage, well I am on my travel laptop, and my blackberry for the net connection so can't get anything up for a little while....

Placed the CX105 on a bellymount, and threw it around the sky at all angles and agressive rolls and turns, and not a single problem with the image skipping or anything, and the colours look beautifull..

Must have toy!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

So, here's what I think I'm going to do. I have my cx100. I have a MXV which I'm thinking of side mounting, do to the fact that I'm 6'3" jumping from a C182. Don't have the mount yet, what do you think? Should I fight the height issue and go with a top mount?

I don't have the money for a Century so I guess I will be going with a Raynox 3032. However, I would like a small low profile .3X lens. Is there anything smaller than the Raynox with great HD quality that would work?

I've read threw a ton of threads and this is what I came up with. Any advise on what might work better for me would be greatly appreciated.

Also, one more thing. I read in an earlier post to turn the auto focus off and put the camera on infinity and set it to .2-.3. Please forgive me, but I couldn't find in the options where it says infinity. Help please.

The "infinity"option is the same as the "mountain" option on older cameras.

Now about the top mount or the side mount....probably I will put it on the side because I have my still camera on top.
This set up is for test the camera...I will decide later....

About the lenses...I thing(my opinion) that the quality from a HD lense to SD lense,will be not visiable from the "naked" eye..If you know what I mean.
But I have this red eye from my pc 105 and I will keep it on this camera.I am very satisfied with this lense..:-)

I also turned off the auto focus.
Read the instructions from the way coll lenses..
It works for me....but remember..I don't test it yet with these settings.

Good luck!

So, here's what I think I'm going to do. I have my cx100. I have a MXV which I'm thinking of side mounting, do to the fact that I'm 6'3" jumping from a C182. Don't have the mount yet, what do you think? Should I fight the height issue and go with a top mount?

I don't have the money for a Century so I guess I will be going with a Raynox 3032. However, I would like a small low profile .3X lens. Is there anything smaller than the Raynox with great HD quality that would work?

I've read threw a ton of threads and this is what I came up with. Any advise on what might work better for me would be greatly appreciated.

Also, one more thing. I read in an earlier post to turn the auto focus off and put the camera on infinity and set it to .2-.3. Please forgive me, but I couldn't find in the options where it says infinity. Help please.