guscabana

New Sony AVCHD HDR-CX100, CX105

I just spent 25 minutes, and removed the hand-strap the clean and (if ever needed) repairable way. Its a no-brainer, but just in case...here is a small step by step:

• Take out the 4 bottom screws,
  • Take out the 3 side screws,
  • Take out the one screw in the side of the battery compartment (open screen for easier acces)
  • take plastic cover off (sideways/outward)
  • unscrew silver thingy on the front, and take the strap connector off
  • unscrew the silver thingy in the back (2 screws) and take the loop of the strap off. Its now all free.
  • put both silver connector thingies back in with their screws
  • put cap back on
  • put 7 screws back in
  • spend 20 minutes looking for dropped black screw in thick black carpet
  • put the last screw back in

Its voila..B|
    Skip the lost screw step, and it should only be a 5 minute operation:$
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

Jarno,

What about plugging the holes with foam or tape (I used foam)? Or you're leaving yours open?

Yea..that would be a good option.
    Im using my camera in a Dbox from TonFly, so I dont expect any issues there. But I might actualy re-open the camera and put something in the holes, depending on how much of the camera is still visable in the Box (still no estemate from TonFly on delivery sadly)
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

I just spent 25 minutes, and removed the hand-strap the clean and (if ever needed) repairable way. Its a no-brainer, but just in case...here is a small step by step:

I posted picture of the screws that need to be removed to take off the strap a week ago... http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3507495;#3507495 :P

I knew nobody ever paid attention to me... this just confirms it... :|:P
    Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

So, did anyone try to squeeze a CX100/105 in a 2K FF2 yet?

I think (hope) that if the backside of the door is worked on with a dremel it could maybe fit... This way the battery would stick out of the housing.

My CX105 arrived yesterday and I found the following:
    - CX105 fits in the FF2 box with plenty of room
    - Should be enough room for the next size battery up without dremelling (comes with the NP-FH50, but should be able to fit the 70)
    - However the standard FF2 bracket doesn't elevate the CX105 up high enough so that it lines up with the lens hole (see: CX105_in_FF2_standard_bracket.JPG)

Options were:
    1) Drill holes for the bracket higher up and also have to lengthen the slot where the camera thumbscrew goes through
    2) Make an entirely new bracket

I went with #2 and it worked really well - see: CX105_in_FF2_new_bracket.JPG.

If anyone wants the dimensions/screw hole placements to save them time making their own, just shout... :-)

News !!!!!!

New TonFly HDR CX100-105 camera box on sale.
    Left side and Top Mounc connection available.
    Space room for the FH70 Sony large battery, good power and not too much weight.
    Fully compatible with HypEye D pro connection.
    Available in all colours. Price 65 Euro
    Order Now.....
    http://www.tonfly.com/Photo-Accessories_500967.html

Well I'm sold on the cx-100. Just wondered where people are buying them. Most are priced in the $540 range, however I've found two companies selling them for $319.
    http://www.cameragiantsinc.com/products.asp?product_id=100088

http://digitalsfuture.com/products/sony-hdr-cx100-high-definition-handycam-camcorder-silver

Has anyone used either of these companies or heard anything about them? Sounds too good to be true.

Well I'm sold on the cx-100. Just wondered where people are buying them. Most are priced in the $540 range, however I've found two companies selling them for $319.
    http://www.cameragiantsinc.com/products.asp?product_id=100088

http://digitalsfuture.com/products/sony-hdr-cx100-high-definition-handycam-camcorder-silver

Has anyone used either of these companies or heard anything about them? Sounds too good to be true.

Yeah - did some googling, and it turns out to be a classic bait-and-switch deal.

cameragiants
    digitalsfuture

You order it, then they call to tell you that you need a particular part (which is supposed to be included). If you don't buy it, they try to charge you a cancellation fee.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. I'd say $540 sounds like a decent deal.
    Signatures are the new black.

- However the standard FF2 bracket doesn't elevate the CX105 up high enough so that it lines up with the lens hole (see: CX105_in_FF2_standard_bracket.JPG)

Options were:
    1) Drill holes for the bracket higher up and also have to lengthen the slot where the camera thumbscrew goes through
    2) Make an entirely new bracket

I went with #2 and it worked really well - see: CX105_in_FF2_new_bracket.JPG.

If anyone wants the dimensions/screw hole placements to save them time making their own, just shout... :-)

Following on from above...

Image of the new bracket that I made including dimensions, attached...

Cool just what I was looking for.

Which kind of Memorycard are you guys using?

From the specifications it have to be pretty fast....

Movie Quality
    HD ; FH (1920x1080i, 16Mbps) / HQ (9Mbps) / SP (7Mbps) / LP (5Mbps) , SD ; HQ (9Mbps) / SP (6Mbps) / LP (3Mbps)

At the moment I'm just using the internal 8GB memory since for the highest quality (HD:FH) it still stores approx 57 mins of footage - and until I get a 2nd/bigger battery pack the battery is probably going to be the limiting factor anyway (quoted 45-90 mins battery recording depending on use). Will find out anyway how long it lasts in use, when I first go jumping with it this weekend! :-)

News !!!!!!

New TonFly HDR CX100-105 camera box on sale.
    Left side and Top Mounc connection available.
    Space room for the FH70 Sony large battery, good power and not too much weight.
    Fully compatible with HypEye D pro connection.
    Available in all colours. Price 65 Euro
    Order Now.....
    http://www.tonfly.com/Photo-Accessories_500967.html

Great news! What are the dimensions and weight? Can it be fitted to other than Tonfly helmets as well (with screws)?

I was planning on building my own since I'm 6'4'' and need it to be as compact as possible for topmounting. However for 65€ ...

quoted 45-90 mins battery recording depending on use

I recorded 5 jumps with the camera with the included battery.
    Including playback after the jump.

Hooking it up to a charger once every few jumps will suffice in the beginning (if you're like me, an not immidiately able to afford the extra battery:P)
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

Hi speedamingo

Can it be fitted to other than Tonfly helmets as well (with screws)?
    Answer: Yes, you can! :)

I was planning on building my own since I'm 6'4'' and need it to be as compact as possible for topmounting. However for 65€ ...
    Answer: I have the same plan... Following you can see the email-answer of tonfly...

With the camera box you receive screws, washers and T-nuts.

Cool just what I was looking for.

Which kind of Memorycard are you guys using?

From the specifications it have to be pretty fast....

Movie Quality
    HD ; FH (1920x1080i, 16Mbps) / HQ (9Mbps) / SP (7Mbps) / LP (5Mbps) , SD ; HQ (9Mbps) / SP (6Mbps) / LP (3Mbps)

I got a scandisk 8gb pro duo MagicGate works well.

Had a big problem when I bought a 16gb pro duo MagicGate on ebay. I was getting an error everytime I would record or play, saying card my not record or play properly. However, it did record and play properly. I originally thought I had bought a fake card but found out otherwise. Contacted Sony a couple of times and read the CX100 adobe manual. They both said that the 16gb MagicGate type have an issue working in a CX100. Some kind of patten thing with MagicGate. Don't know, sound like BS and is BS.

I don't know has anyone else used a 16gb pro duo MagicGate memory card?
    The Captain Makes It Happen....

I picked up a CX100 and have been playing around with it a bit. I'm not figuring out how to play in slow motion. That kinda sucks if you can't do it. It's nice to hook up to the big screen after a good jump and see what ya did... Am I missing it somewhere?