guscabana

New Sony AVCHD HDR-CX100, CX105

When you say everything out there supports AVCHD natively, you are talking about editing? How about playback? If a memory stick was plugged into a standard Vista installation say, would you be able to view the file?

Thanks for the correction on the origins of AVCHD.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Just some more questions in follow up to cpoxon's post...

Let's start by saying I'm on a mac. There I got that out of the way.

So what do I need to do if I just want to view and store my videos from the cx100? and let's say I'm using an intel based mac. Can I copy the files to the hard drive and open them just to view?

Now to throw a kink in things...can I store and view videos on my non intel based mac?

So what do I need to do if I just want to view and store my videos from the cx100? and let's say I'm using an intel based mac. Can I copy the files to the hard drive and open them just to view?

You'll have to import/convert first. While not nearly as fast as non-Mac users enjoy, it's also faster than real-time now.

Now to throw a kink in things...can I store and view videos on my non intel based mac?

I *believe* once they're imported on the Intel-based Mac (and converted) they'll be viewable on the non-Intel Mac, but I'm not certain. We no longer have any non-Intel Macs in our shop, therefore I have no way to check. If you can view currently converted AVCHD on your non-Intel Mac, then you'll be able to do the same with this footage. The codec didn't change; just the body and features.

Has anyone had the chance to test the international version cx105 with the hypeye or only the cx100? Is this something I should be worried about when ordering the cx105?

Control-wise, they're identical. Only difference is frame-rate.

If anybody's interested, there's a seller on E-Bay that just sold me a HDR-CX100 in silver with a MACK 4 year extended warranty, and a bunch of extra aftermarket stuff (3 filters, extra battery, car charger, camera case, cleaning kit, mini tripod and 52" tripod) all for $637 including shipping in the U.S. :ph34r:
He's got a few more.

*** You have to request Mack as the carrier of the warranty. He was origionally going to use a different carrier, but switched it to Mack at no additional charge per my request.

I have not tested it with the CX105 but the HYPEYE D PRO works well with other international AVCHD cameras so highly doubt there would be any issues.

We are planning on shooting the Freefly Money meet tomorrow with it so I'll try and post a bunch of footage tomorrow night. I will lend it to a few different camera fliers and try to get some side mount and top mount footage throughout the day.

I will try and parameterize the shots and do some with steadshot on/off, wideangle setting, etc to get a good idea of how the camera acts in different modes. It's supposed to be partly cloudy tmw so hopefully I'll get some good lighting changes.

One note is this camera really must be set to manual focus. The prototype seemed pretty slow to auto focus and I'm assuming the production model is similar. I figure this will become part of everyone's morning setup now with these cameras anyway. I should know by the AM (or I could probably read the manual) if the manual focus/power on by LCD reverts back after 12 hours like the other ones.
HYPOXIC

Can you tell us how long it would take to convert 10 minutes of footage when loading to a Macbook Pro? And will it play nicely with I Movie?

Also will I be able to use my low profile .5 Royal lens.
If so will the image suffer?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

There is very little point jumping with a Royal, Waycool, or other low resolution lens on an HD camera. You're killing virtually all of the benefits of HD. You still get a better picture, but not by much.
Invest in a good lens.
for SD, the Royal has a slight edge over the others, but not much. For HD...all the "standard lenses" are weak.

speed of conversion is entirely relevant to the proc you've got in your system.
anywhere between 5 and 10 mins for an MBP and 10 mins of footage.

For a small lens, I recommend the Century .55. If you need inside lens, the Raynox 3030 is great. It's big/bulky, almost as big as camera and as heavy. But the package is still very lightweight.

That "sheep" is a ewe. She's pregnant. She's mine. And you're the first to have the courage to ask in public. :D:D

I was recently asked to provide a photo that "best represents my life philosophy." The sheep photo sums me up best, I think. Maybe the hi-rez version helps make the point more clear.:D:P
And if you figure it out, PM me. I'd be curious to hear what you think.

I read most of the posts but didn't see anything about using it for Hand-Cam.

I want to upgrade this year for the dz and wondering if it will work for HC. Editing, I am still using mixing board, PC5, etc.

What is the easiest set up for doing tandem vids.

-
Thanks,

Be hind the times,
Clint

If you are using a Mixing board you gain nothing by using this camera except issues since you are not able to archive the jumps like you do with your tapes unless you also have a computer to copy all the files to every day. Shooting with your current gear will work just fine on the set up you are using, there is no reason to upgrade since you can't use anything new this camera really offers.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Phree's right, you gain nothing except a better picture, but there is no speed gain, no archive gain.
Hand-cam...Cookie already has a glove for this camera, I ordered one at PIA.
But...this camcorder for a lot of DZ's, is their entry-level camcorder into NLE-editing/speed output of content to DVD and web for tandems, four-way, etc.
If speed isn't your need, then old tech is likely still your best answer.
Heck Clint, I'm only 3 hours away...buy me some jump tix, I'll show you how fast it can be.:D

If you are using a Mixing board you gain nothing by using this camera except issues since you are not able to archive the jumps like you do with your tapes unless you also have a computer to copy all the files to every day. Shooting with your current gear will work just fine on the set up you are using, there is no reason to upgrade since you can't use anything new this camera really offers.

That presumes you want to archive. we have one camera guy with a CX6 who used to re-use his tapes over and over anyway (filming tandems, his girlfriend skysurfing, freefly jumps, AFF - all gone now), he uses a standalone system to mix his tandemvids. Now he is real happy that all he needs to do is wipe the memory card when it's full. Bad luck for any tandempassenger who damaged his/her DVD B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

...you gain nothing by using this camera except issues...

Well...

Depending on what you are replacing, you might end up with a better image, and you will undoubtedly end up with less weight on your head.

BTW, at my home DZ we're required to archive for at least one year, and I think it is just a good business practice anyway. I have archived everything I have ever shot, and occasionally had to go back to retrieve footage.

I have a Memory Stick PRO Duo Media question.

Is there any advantage to using the faster/more costly media types in this camcorder?

Memory Stick PRO Duo

Memory Stick PRO Ultra II

Memory Stick PRO Extreme III

Memory Stick PRO Video HD

There's a huge price difference between them.

That "sheep" is a ewe. She's pregnant. She's mine. And you're the first to have the courage to ask in public. :D:D

I was recently asked to provide a photo that "best represents my life philosophy." The sheep photo sums me up best, I think.
And if you figure it out...... I'd be curious to hear what you think.

I'm impressed that you are man enough to take responsiblity for your actions and I think it's clear what your "life philosophy" is.........

"Never turn your back on your woman ........even if you end up gettiing her pregnant."
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Ok....im stuck between a raynox 5050 or 3032 .3x lense. I am going to be using it for 99% freefly footage. It says that its semi-fishey. Am i going to get a rounded fisheye look inmy footage if I use that lense?

I cant seem to find the 3030 that people metioned here. Im looking on EBay currently. Anyone have a site to get the 3030 people are talkin about...and is it also semi-fisheye?

I also see that b&h has the 3032 lense for ten bux less than ebay. I will probably get it off b&h. Just dont want the rounded fisheye look to my footage ;)

Haahaa...thanks! Its hard t keep up with theis tread sometimesB| So to answer my other question.....is there any cuve/fisheye effect with that 3032? And do you use yours for freefly or just have experience shooting with it?!? I think b&h is about to get more money from me! :P

Question maybe for DSE...

So I've been messing around with my options for getting media from my cx100 to my mac. When I connect the cam to my mac via the usb cable the cam comes up on the desktop with no problem. My plan for the future is to just copy the .MTS files from the folder called Stream to my mac or external hard drive. This way in the future should I need the original AVCHD .MTS files for editing or whatever, I will have copies in their native format. As for just viewing my movies I will convert to AIC and view with quicktime.

Now for the strange questions...
Once I save the .MTS files on my mac and delete from cam, is there any way to reverse this process? In other words say I want hook up my cam to the tv and watch and old movie that I have saved on my mac. Can I put the .MTS file back into the Steam folder and play it on the camera? I played around with this and couldn't get it to work. There are 2 folders on the cam that have files in them after I record a movie. One folder is called Playlist and it contains .MTL files. The other folder is called Stream and it contains the .MTS files. I tried copying the contents of both folders onto my mac then deleting those files on the cam. I then took the files from the mac and put them back in their respective folders and went to the play movie section on camera and the movies did not show up on the cam.

Should this work?