skyjumpenfool

Pinnacle Studio 10 DVD Burn Problem

I'm looking for some help... I've created my year end video (40 minutes long) and I'm having trouble burning it to DVD. I'm using Studio 10.5 and it seems to work fine until the end. Then, it errors out. Has anyone had trouble burning DVD's from Studio?
I've tried everything I can think of.
I'm using an external hard drive for the files. An external DVD recorder to burn to. I don't have any freezing or crashing problems.

Studio goes through the creating files process like everything is working fine. Then, just before it finnishes, I get an error message "DVD burn failed"

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Burner is working fine, I burned all the Light Scribe lables using Nero. And I burned some random files on one of these disks. It seams to be Studio. I've searched for answers on their site, and elsewhere.

Pulling out hairs now, and those that know me will tell you I don't need that>:(

Any other suggestions are welcome...

On a rare occasion you'll get an error burning if you had any problems with the program crashing during the edit. With 40 mins of video ... there had to be a lot of editing. Have had this happen several times, unfortunately, the only way out I've found is to redo the video.

A second problem that has caused a crash is if you're using different file formats for the video ... as in mixing .avi ... .mpeg ... or a Windows video format. Again, the only way I've found to get a clean burn is to redo the video. Obviously, if you're using different formats, it may mean having to recapture the video or find a program that will do a file type conversion.

Hope this helps.

Quincy...

Attached is a copy of the error message. It only errors out after about 20 minutes of creating the file. It seems to create the movie just fine. For some reason, it just will not burn the DVD. I was successful in burning a .avi file but it will not open in my DVD player. It will open in my computer DVD drive.

I'm looking at buying about 24 copies (or a site licence) of Pinnicle for my Information Tech classroom. I may start looking at other programs. Has anyone updated to Studio Plus?

Any other suggestions?

Try creating the DVD files without burning (should be possible in Settings). If it still fails, it's something in your project. If not, try burning the files to DVD with a different burning program (like Nero).

BTW, why are you going for "most video on disc" ?

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

Take the AVI file and create a Video-DVD in Nero. It sounds like you created a Data DVD and just placed the AVI fileon the DVD, that would be why it does not play back on your home DVD player. Nero should do a whole "encoding" process as it makes the Video-DVD.

For your classroom, look at Sony. Pinnacle has a reputation for rushing a version to release with major bugs in it and then spending the next 6-9 months releasing patches to fix the issues.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

BTW, why are you going for "most video on disc"

That is a really good question regardless of whether or not it is the actual problem. I don't know Pinnacle from a barnacle (so maybe I should just shut up but,...), but why compress your video any more than is necessary to fit in on a DVD? I would think it would be easier on your computer, and better for your viewers, to use the least amount of compression required.

Pinnacle sucks. There is a reason the largest retail distributor on the planet (Navarre) returned over 1M of product to Avid...they couldn't afford the high return rate.
Putting them in on a site license, IMO, is just begging for trouble.
Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Vegas Movie Studio, Canopus Edius Studio are all significantly better, 100% reliable, and better supported.

next...as Phil mentions, why is your video so compressed? 26% of potential quality is a strange option.

BTW, why are you going for "most video on disc" ?

I've tried everythig. That (most video on disc) was just one attempt. I started with best quality. Each time I get the same error message.

I guess my big question is, am I missing a step or is this a program issue? Being a Technology Teacher forces me to learn many new programs all the time. I find that most of my problems are "Pilot Error". I was hoping someone has run across this same problem and could help me out. Or, what is more likely, someone could tell me what obvious step I am missing.

Thanks for the great feedback. I am still searching for an answer and will let you know what I find.

Odds are if its Studio its a program issue. Studio typically has HUGE issues that are always resolved in the "next version". I had issues with Studio going back to 6 and still had them through 8 when I got rid of it and vowed to never use it again. You need to contact Pinnacle to have them work on your issue because it might be driver or PC specific also.

If you are looking to have students to use it look at Premiere Elements or Sony Vegas, they are both way more stable.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

did you figure it out yet?

what i see from your project.. this is what i would do.

make the whole project first down to a full quality DV file (.avi). then open a new project and insert that file. then you can add your DVD menus and chapters by clipping into the big file.

i found in the past using studio (which is FULL of bugs) that multiple transitions and blah blah will cause it to do bad things. so simply breaking big projects into many smaller ones (such as individual chapters of the end dvd) works much more efficiently.

hope that helps!:)
p.s. it looks like you may also need a much bigger hard drive.;)

Great suggestion, one minor (and technical) caveat.
Rendering a timeline to DV first, before going to MPEG is always a bad idea.
Without going too deeply...
DV is 4:1:1 (NTSC) or 4:2:0 (PAL, but the 4:2:0 of PAL is different than the next point).

MPEG for DVD is 4:2:0 color sample. If you render to DV, you're already tossing 75% of the information out the door, and if you have color correction, titles, generated media, stills, etc...they lose a LOT.

Taking 4:1:1 or PAL 4:2:0 to MPEG 4:2:0 is an additional hit in color sample/picture quality. Avoid rendering to DV first whenever possible for best image quality.

but if rendering to DV in Studio is the only thing that works...

I'm not getting anywhere in Studio! I was able to create the .avi file and used Nero to create the DVD. The quality turned out very good.

I'm now looking at other software. I don't want to deal with this issue again.

The DVD's are done. I use Light Scrbe to burn the fronts of the DVD"s which is really nice, but very slow.

And yes, Sandy, I've a copy for you... PM me an address and I'll send one out.

Later this week I will try inserting the .avi back into Studio. I'll let you know how that turns out.

...thanks for all the help!!!

studio 10 has lot's problem period, there is lot's DVD burning program out there most of the cheap on you well have lots and lot problem, just get sony vegas you well save time and headache vegas on sale you can pick it up for $50-60 you can not go wrong
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."