huckfinn

Sony Vegas capture problem, frustrating!

So I downloaded Vegas Movie Studio 9 and am having trouble seeing my camera's video in the capture window. I messed with it last night for quite awhile, and after one of many restarts, there it was, working fine and showing the video! I captured about 15 minutes and burned a dvd just to test things out. It worked well, but there was one hang up and an audio drop in the final dvd. Anyway, I am back at it today, and I am having the same problem as yesterday. When I plug my camera in (HC5) the computer recognizes it just fine, but the video capture window is green and sometimes a bit pixelated instead of showing the video. I have done many restarts and checked every setting, everything should work. The video will show up in the project media window fine if I just capture while the capture screen is green as if there is no problem, but doing it this way is a pain since I have to watch my cameras lcd. I have been through every help option and checked forums on the web, I have yet to see this problem mentioned. Do any of you have any idea what's going on or have you seen this before? It's the trial version if that matters. What is so maddening is I had it working fine last night, seems like some sort of glitch.
Any help is appreciated, I posted this as a last resort. Thanks.

By the way, after struggling a bit with Premiere Pro, Vegas seems way more intuitive for me and the tutorial help is very nice. I tried it out after reading many positive things about it here.

Ok, so I was just a bit quick on the draw. I just figured it out. I needed to uncheck a box in preferences to ignore 3rd party codecs, and I'm not even sure what a codec is. I did that and it works fine. So I guess a codec is a magical device that can determine your editing fate.

I was going to edit this post out, but I'll just leave it here in case it helps someone out doing a search one day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec

A codec is a device or computer program capable of encoding and/or decoding a digital data stream or signal. The word codec is a contraction of 'compressor-decompressor' or, most commonly, 'coder-decoder'.

(for reference)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...