hossein

Samsung SC-MX20

hi
did a search on this forum for the Samsung SC-MX20 but didnt see anything. is there anyone who uses this flash camcorder for general freeflying videography? just want to video fun jumps and post on my website and thought this would be a cheap and light top mount alternative to my side mount mini dv sony hc40.
any comments/advice would be very much appreciated
blue skies

I did 20 jumps with the european version Samsung VP-MX20, top mount, with a Skyline 0,3 lens. it has 34x optical zoom and with the skyline lens I can use 50% of the zoom, so I don`t need a 0,5 lens, because I just zoom in. it has very big wide-angle, so I don`t use a sight. it is robust, light, cheap and I had no problems on RW or FF jumps.
I would recommend it for beginners or someone who only needs a standard definition camcorder.

I currently use it with a Cokin 0.45 lens, and it works just fine for funjumps as a SD-camera. Its light and easy to handle on the ground. The problem is in the plane. There's no way to connect it to a hypeye, and a mirror on the altimeter won't work because the light is on the back of the camera, not on the front as on a Sony. Also, the autofocus (and the zooming) resets after each time you turn off the camera. So for optimal use you have to turn it on in the, set it to manual focus in the plane, zoom in a little, wait until the door opens, start the camera and ask someone to check if its on. Myself, i dont care about the autofocus so have it in a small leathercase ontop of my Cookie. i just turn it on, zoom in a little (just a little click), and then press the recordbutton before i go. Without looking.

But im looking to buy a cx105 instead :)
Look at my videos at vimeo.com/heffie
Look at my photos a 500px.com/johannesbergfors