ChangoLanzao

Are you jumping a D700?

So, is anyone jumping a D700 yet? I'm considering getting one, but not looking forward to buying and hacking up yet another proprietary, non-standard cable-remote plug. That MC-30 looks really klunky. Anyway, I'd appreciate comments/suggestions. I'm currently jumping a Rebel XT. It's OK. The remote setup is simple and the camera is light. I also have a D70s, which takes awesome pictures with the Nikon 10.5 mm lens ;-), however, the D70s weighs more, so I don't jump it much.

I jump a D200 with one of Lazlo's plugs, no need to go hacking yourself. Although this particular remote isn't that hard to wire, easy to get off-brand cheaper ones and they come with a 90o angle always.

Would love a D700 but, $$$$ B| You'd need a 16mm to get the same angle as with the 10.5mm, not a cheap lens although the sigma 15mm may work too but I haven't seen that one used on a FF camera yet.
The D700 is a lot of camera though compared to the XT and the D70s, it's way better quality wise but way heavier too. If I'm doing 8-10 jumps a day next season I'm not sure I'll jump my D200, probably have go back to my D80 to save my neck/back [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I jump a D-200 with the 10.5mm. You are right. That lens is awesome. I will be honest with you though. It you think the D70s is heavy you will NOT enjoy the D700. The D70s weighs 679g while the D700 weighs 1,074g Also, the D700 is an FX format camera. Which means to get pictures that look like the ones from your D70s w/ the 10.5mm. You will have to buy the 16mm f2.8D. It currently sells for about $749.00. I think you would be better off and WAY cheaper with a used D200 or a D300 and use the 10.5mm that you already own. The D700 is an awesome camera. Where it shines in at hish ISO settings. Ranges that are usually beyond what you would need for skydiving.