DSE

YouTube has changed....

In case you didn't notice, YouTube went from a 4:3 aspect ratio (which required widescreen to be letterboxed) to a widescreen format today.
So...
If you want great widescreen, I recommend you upload your vids as 640 x 360 instead of the former 640 x 480. I personally use a 2Mbps stream average with a 4Mbps max, in an MP4 container. You might use a wmv file at 3Mbps to match. They still do not allow direct delivery of Flash.
Very happy to see this, as it cuts down on YouTube encode times. If you have 4:3 video up already, or if you are still recording 4:3, then YouTube now correctly pillarboxes the media. The above setting will assure a full screen view of the content.
Hope this helps anyone who plays in the land of YouTube.

They're also testing a new even-higher-quality format, see http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/11/youtube-tests-o.html.

FYI, most YouTube videos can be viewed in higher than normal quality by adding "&fmt=18" to the URL. Now you can also use "&fmt=22" to get 720p or something. Probably not available on many videos yet..

So to be future proof you should probably consider uploading your vids in 1280x720 at a fairly high bitrate.

If it's boxed all the way around, that would indicate you uploaded letterboxed content (which is how most of our content has gone up). and the letterboxing coupled with the pillarboxing, gives a black surround. I prefer that, to YouTube stretching the highly compressed Flash file. I've heard a rumor they're reprocessing all the old vids to fit from original source, but don't know that this is absolutely accurate.
I wrote a brief tutorial, it's jumbled, and still in edit stages, but it might help someone here....

They're also testing a new even-higher-quality format, see http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/11/youtube-tests-o.html.

FYI, most YouTube videos can be viewed in higher than normal quality by adding "&fmt=18" to the URL. Now you can also use "&fmt=22" to get 720p or something. Probably not available on many videos yet..

So to be future proof you should probably consider uploading your vids in 1280x720 at a fairly high bitrate.

Hi,

I uploaded a video recently in full HD format, because I couldn't be bothered resizing and re-rendering it.

Here it is in 720p on youtube: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nUmJaqIzD_I&fmt=22

I think the difference is noticable! All my videos will be in this format in future.

Sorry about the poor camerawork by the way, it was the first few jumps I ever wore a camera for :$

I am using Sony Vegas Platimum v9.
Thanks for the great tutorials on Vaast .. really helpful!

Having problems uploading audio to youtube.
Songs are legal to use .. i.e. not blocked due to rights managed process

Rendering event as MP2 (video) and MP3 or WMA (audio)
Youtube only allows 1 file to be uploaded.

When I create DVD using Architect a long as I place both files in same folder with same name both files are picked up.

How do you upload HQ video with audio .. onto youtube and can it be done using mp2??

(note when I upload as WMV file, audio is included though footage low quality + gets letterboxed)

Footage recorded in HD FH - Sony TG1
Event created in widescreen etc
File sizes comparison 3 min 25 sec footage
MP2 = 150m / WMV = 65M

edit - have also tried mp4 format - i get audio but
mp4 default setting = pillared (lines at side)
mp4 set to fill screen = pillard and boxed ie lines all around

If you are using VMS, then all you need to do is render to a 1280 x 720 mp4, 10Mbps. That's great for YouTube or Vimeo.
This is assuming the source is the TG1.
If the source is SD, then deliver 640 x 360 5Mbps for YouTube/Vimeo.
That's it.