AHoyThere

Why wouldn't this work?

I'll have to dig into this model a bit more but I abandoned this idea for a couple of reasons a while back. I think that the notion of putting a microwave transmitter next to the head was one component which relegated the mount to the plane. I still think that it would be cool if we could transmit from the plane to a live TV during jump run for the benefit of the folks on the ground, and possibly for some sort of combined edit. The fact that we typically use a leased plane negates a permanent mount. And the fact that I was going to have to dig into my own pockets for the experiment was the killer. Of course the reality that I may not know even the slightest bit about what I'm talking about may have played into it as well.
Might be worth revisiting though.

It does work. I have one of their 5 mile air to ground systems. The video & audio went from a Sony TRV 20 via the A/V mini jack to the wireless transmitter & battery that was in a fanny pack on my waist facing to my front .This is a line of sight system. So I had to make sure that I had the right angle from the transmitter to the receiving antenna on the ground.
I found that it was best to always be facing the receiving antenna.
To help I had someone on the ground monitoring the incoming video and adjusting the receiving antenna to get the best video. I was jumping from 13,000 ft ,

Any popular transmitter makes amplitude modulation of a video. In freefall your distance changes and quality depends on an utomatic gain control of the receiver. It works well for static sources. For moving, it creates oscillations in brightness.
Only systems with FM modulation work well. Satelites use this method and TV, potable video links, use FM modulation. Few systems including mine, over 25 years old, that were used in skydiving had FM modulation transmitters.
If the unit shown is FM, than you can try. In skydiving all is in the line of sight. Ask woofos :-)
Andre

[reply
Only systems with FM modulation work well. Satelites use this method and TV, potable video links, use FM modulation.
If the unit shown is FM, than you can try. In skydiving all is in the line of sight. Ask woofos :-)
Andre

From their web site, they note that the device uses FM Analog modulation.
So with that, you think it'd work?

Range: 3 Miles
Power Output: 1-WATT
Modulation: FM Analog
Frequency: CH1: 2.434GHz or CH4: 2.411GHz
Transmitter Antenna: 21" End Feed Dipole Omni
Receiver Antenna: Built-in Patch
Transmitter Dimensions: 2.5" (D) x 3.0" (W) x 1.0" (H)
Video Bandwidth: 6MHz
Video Format: NTSC or PAL
TV Lines Max: 525
Connectors: DC Power, RCA - Video, Audio
Mounting: Aircraft Grade Velcro
Power Required - Transmitter: 12vdc @ 500mA (without camera)
Power Required - Receiver: 12vdc @ 360mA
License Required: Amateur Radio License Required (USA), Hobby Use Only