DSE

Wait'll you see the pictures this creates....

That's like, $1600-1700 that's not too horrible.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

mounting is no sweat. Chris W/Parachutist mounted one to a mudflap for a project we did. It is a standard threaded mount.
Breakaway cable...that's another issue entirely. There are a lot of connections, so it'll take some time and a well-appointed connector. Haven't tried to cut this yet, not once I'd opened up the camera/deck to see what was involved.

depth (mm) x height (mm) x width (mm)
HXR-MC1 'Camera Head' 86,5 x 42,5 x 37
HDR-CX105 107 x 60 x 55
delta 20,5 x 17,5 x 18

what's the delta?

A very small camera recently introduced by sony.

Just kidding. He was giving the differences in dimensions between the two cameras.

Dave

It's a professional level product - it should be built such that it will take a lot more abuse than the traditional consumer version handy cams. (Meaning it might last two seasons instead of a half of one!)

Too bad they didn't have time to go with a disconnect on the first version - it would have been interesting to see the cost for replacing one part or the other.

It's orderable now.
My take is this:
It's a GREAT POV camera. And has it's place in skydiving. But normal, everyday tandem use isn't it.
Mudflap, cheststrap, foot, etc are all great uses for the small head. CRW stuff...etc..all good stuff. But without the breakaway, and it's the same head as the CX100 with CX12 encoder, there is so little to be gained.
Great pix, higher price, significantly higher maintenance, IMO.

Hello, Loïc JEAN-ALBERT here.
I have some professional filming coming on a aerobatic airplane and might be interested in this.
Do you know if it is possible to use a longer cable between cam and recorder?
Does it ever zoom on opening? Some cameras do because zoom motor is weak compare to lens weight... This is not good on high roll rate when cam is on wingtip... High G.
Can you shoot slow mo? for how long?
Can you lock white balance, exposure etc...
DSE, I would be interested in your feed back. If you feel like sharing, please send me email or call +33 492 45 35 86 (france time...)
Thanks

I stopped yesterday at the SonyStyle where a good friend of mine works. He has a second “home job” as a computer, cameras, satellite’s boxes, etc repairman. He doesn’t know anything about skydive, but I explain to him what are we looking for (a breakaway system) as well as I told him that it is an amazing idea because the camera could be use for many other trades who need a longer or smaller length of cable. So he thinks that Sony it will come with a “breakaway system” themselves, but the problem that he sees for us is that the connectors will be (in case it happens someday) about 6” from the camera and the same from the monitor, and it will be different lengths of cable for any use. So, it will be no good for us anyway because we will need around 18” to 22” (depending our sizes and location of the camera) in order to have a safe breakaway and don’t have cable slapping our faces, eyes, neck, etc or getting screw at deployment.

Talking with Kris gave me an idea, so I went back home, took one of my Homeland Security Cameras (the connector is at 5-1/2” and use almost the same A/V cable that the HXR-MC1 as for video, audio and zoom goes as well as it’s the same size camera). I took it to Kris together with my helmet, jumpsuit and rig as well as my laptop and camera remote. He used the same type of cable and connectors that my Homeland camera use and added another 12-1/2” to it (To make the 18” that I was looking for, so at breakaway the end of the remain cord will be attached to my suit’s shoulder and not slapping me around), then used another connector from there to my laptop and we tried. It works just fine and he used an extra connector because my security camera it comes from factory with only 5-1/2”. He told me that it would be even better with one connector less like it will be the case with the HXR-MC1 if we do it ourselves.

It will work for sure, but and a big but is that the warranty will not cover the camera for doing so.

As far as me goes, I will take 4 or 5 CX100 for the same price that this one anyday.

Blue skies,

Ish.

Do you know if it is possible to use a longer cable between cam and recorder?

Not without a significant modification, no.

Does it ever zoom on opening?

I don't have enough jumps with the camera to definitively say it does not. I have not experienced this. It'snot a worm-drive zoom so I doubt it does.

Can you shoot slow mo? for how long?

Yes, for 12 seconds in super slow mo. It does not have extended p60 capability.

Can you lock white balance, exposure etc...

Of course.

DSE, I would be interested in your feed back. If you feel like sharing, call +33 492 45 35 86 (france time...)

That's where I start charging. You're welcome to call us at Sundance Media Group (sundancemediagroup.com) and set up high-def production consultation with Mannie or Dave, and they'll arrange a time and cost (we consult HD and transitional projects as a major part of our business, and we charge for that service).
I'd be pleased to help. Glad to hear you're back in the air!

Ishdaddy:

So he thinks that Sony it will come with a “breakaway system” themselves, but the problem that he sees for us is that the connectors will be (in case it happens someday) about 6” from the camera and the same from the monitor, and it will be different lengths of cable for any use.

Your friend is not correct, I guarantee it. SonyStyle has nothing to do with professional products, in fact, they compete. The product manager for this product (Tatsuro) for Broadcast Professional Services Division (BPSD) and I have had several "interesting" discussions on this subject. The feeling is a breakaway is too costly to add to the camera system and as you point out, different users have different requirements. It's the KISS theory, one Sony is very good at practicing in their products, if not how they market and distribute their products.
I wish your friend was right.

I wish the same DSE. He was just thinking no promising me anything. He just work at SonyStyle but his real work he does it from home. What he knows as far as cords, cameras, etc, it is that can be make it with no problems but under your own risk. He also told me that if you do it yourself it is not much cost involve, but as you very well said; if Sony does it, it will be lots of money for us to pay in order to have what we want.

Anyway, I love the camera but not the price and the posibility of screw it and lose the warranty and the money, so for now, I will keep what I can affort to screw :)
Ish.