DSE

Wait'll you see the pictures this creates....

Hmm, a recording deck coupled with a lens and imaging chip combined in one unit for mounting on a helmet....sounds familiar! :-P

Yeah where the heck could we get technology like that? :)
Do you think having a separate unit that has to be routed down to a pocket would be all that suitable for skydiving? I would much rather just have one of those cx12s on my head if they could only give us the option to truly shut off the OIS.

Do you think having a separate unit that has to be routed down to a pocket would be all that suitable for skydiving?

Yeah, why not? It's been done a lot already, using bullet cams plugged into cameras or dedicated decks for some time.

I would much rather just have one of those cx12s on my head if they could only give us the option to truly shut off the OIS.

The head is not the only place to mount a camera (or lens now).

I'm still a bit old fashioned and like my video sidemounted, with my stills on top, and then I don't need a helmet with huge real estate on top. As my DV cameras age, I know that soon I'll have to transition to a HD camera. I know people do, but at the moment, I don't really fancy having the current crop of HD cameras sidemounted as they seem too wide (I realise there is the TG1/3, but that has it's own issue). So I think that in order to step up to HD and keep the stills I'll need a bigger helmet. The HXR-MC1 could be a great solution to that, mounting the lens on my freefly camera helmet alongside the stills without the need to an FTP style helmet. It could also double up a a great hand cam :P
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Creating Still Pictures out of Movies
It is possible to create still pictures of approximately 2.1M pixels
from recorded pictures. Even after shooting a movie, it is
possible to render any decisive moment into a still picture.

Given that you could do both with one device, the extra cost (whater is works out to be) may be tempting. Although I think my computer has met it's match with this thing!
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

Speaking from the standpoint of having not been jumping the last 3 months due to a broken neck. Also, just hating having a bunch of shit on my head. I am sold. Cost needs to be semi-reasonable, like, under 3k. I'll dump the still camera and video camera and just jump with this unit. Tandem pics at 2.3mp are good enough for me.

I also think that, once this thing is out we need to do some research into what is exactly in that cable. I don't think it would be unreasonable to cut one apart and put a release in it. Just depends exactly what is going through there and how easy it is to manipulate. Either that or breakaway mounting on the helmet so the camera can release from the side of it. Though honestly, if you take the ring site off, and make the right helmet design, with a camera like this you can eliminate 99% of snag potential.

Did I mention I am sold. Please oh please let the price be something I can afford!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Speaking from the standpoint of having not been jumping the last 3 months due to a broken neck. Also, just hating having a bunch of shit on my head. I am sold. Cost needs to be semi-reasonable, like, under 3k. I'll dump the still camera and video camera and just jump with this unit. Tandem pics at 2.3mp are good enough for me.

I also think that, once this thing is out we need to do some research into what is exactly in that cable. I don't think it would be unreasonable to cut one apart and put a release in it. Just depends exactly what is going through there and how easy it is to manipulate. Either that or breakaway mounting on the helmet so the camera can release from the side of it. Though honestly, if you take the ring site off, and make the right helmet design, with a camera like this you can eliminate 99% of snag potential.

Did I mention I am sold. Please oh please let the price be something I can afford!

It will be priced in a range you can afford, AFAIK
As far as breakaway cable...that's quite easy, but the connectors I'm aware of that have breakaway capability are quite expensive. Gefen has one that is around 200.00...I didn't get to take the cable apart, so it's possible it's only a 10pin.

So would you guys take this unit over something like a cx12 that didn't have stabilization issues. I can't get over the fact of having to fish that head unit down from the helmet into a pocket or something. As apposed to just throwing one unit on top of the helmet. I guess if you're replacing both still and video then I see your point in weight. Am I wrong, but the still pic option is just like grabbing a frame of recorded video. The resolution can only be as much as the video resolution. 1920x1080. I can grab a pic off any video that I record. Doesn't seem like a selling point unless I am misunderstanding something.

Don't get me wrong I love the concept of this camera. Having just the lens on a helmet would be awesome. Wireless would be the way to go, but with the HD bandwidth I don't think that's happening.

Can't wait to hear more about it.

Yeah I would take this over a CX12 w/o stability issues. I would rather not have batteries and extra shit on my head. I am not totally replacing my still camera, but may opt to not take it on tandems. Even if I do, this is still an awesome item right here.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Yeah I would take this over a CX12 w/o stability issues. I would rather not have batteries and extra shit on my head. I am not totally replacing my still camera, but may opt to not take it on tandems. Even if I do, this is still an awesome item right here.

I just got to play with one of these cameras... DSE let me hold onto it for a bit. After toying with the menus, features, & buttons it seems just like a CX-12, but in 2 pieces. The lens part is very lightweight & the recording/lcd piece is pretty compact.

There's a small square mount plate on the bottom of the camera... it'll fit into a lens shoe adapter & it has a threaded hole in the middle of that plate, so mounting to a helmet should be a breeze. For handycam use, I think it'd be pretty easy to make a handycam glove without need for the heavy-duty construction of current ones, since this camera has such a low profile.

What to do with the long thick cable going from recorder to camera though... It seems at least 10 ft. and it doen't coil up into a small package. That could be useful tho... you could have the recorder on back of your right hand so you can see what you're recording & have access to all switches without need for an external control... cable routed over the shoulder to left hand for camera mount.

I just got to play with one of these cameras... DSE let me hold onto it for a bit. After toying with the menus, features, & buttons it seems just like a CX-12, but in 2 pieces. The lens part is very lightweight & the recording/lcd piece is pretty compact.

There's a small square mount plate on the bottom of the camera... it'll fit into a lens shoe adapter & it has a threaded hole in the middle of that plate, so mounting to a helmet should be a breeze. For handycam use, I think it'd be pretty easy to make a handycam glove without need for the heavy-duty construction of current ones, since this camera has such a low profile.

What to do with the long thick cable going from recorder to camera though... It seems at least 10 ft. and it doen't coil up into a small package. That could be useful tho... you could have the recorder on back of your right hand so you can see what you're recording & have access to all switches without need for an external control... cable routed over the shoulder to left hand for camera mount.

Surprised Sony wouldn't have this cable disconnect with the option of different length cables. Actually no I'm not surprised. I'm sure once it comes out we could figure something out on our own.

Surprised Sony wouldn't have this cable disconnect with the option of different length cables. Actually no I'm not surprised. I'm sure once it comes out we could figure something out on our own.

There are 36 pairs in the cable, a rock-solid connector that has breakaway would add significantly to the price. I'm looking into some options.