DSE

Wait'll you see the pictures this creates....

got permission to share a little bit.
HXR-MC1 camcorder. It's a fun little POV device.
Limited in use for skydiving until a breakaway can be inserted in the line. Lotsa connections, quite a bit of soldering.
You'll like it more in HD...

720p :-P
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

got permission to share a little bit.
HXR-MC1 camcorder. It's a fun little POV device.
Limited in use for skydiving until a breakaway can be inserted in the line. Lotsa connections, quite a bit of soldering.
You'll like it more in HD...

understand how it works but the links to HD versions on YouTube often don't function correctly (such as the the link you posted) so it's easier to recommend folks just click the "view in HD" option in YouTube.

Nice little video Doug....

Any chance u can bring yourself and that MC1 up to northern ontario and come sledding with us....

Would be good testing for it... :)

We have been using a 520 line lipstick style camera for a few years now ..
Have over 30 hrs of snowmobiling with it....

Would be cool to video in HIGH DEF..

Mike
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

Hmm.....Edmonton, Calgary, and Ermineskin are as close as I'm gonna get. Was in Winnipeg a couple weeks ago...
Teaching the AB broadcasters about HD in Jan/Feb. I'll have the MC1 if you wanna travel over. :)Finding I like Canada very, very much, especially northern AB and northwestern MB.
First Nations production activity there is intriguing and of great interest to me.

Ya that would be cool....I'm trying to plan another wind tunnel camp and then goto LODI right after to get my jump numbers upto 500 before the season starts for us....
Hopefully the price isn't to high and I can talk a buddy into purchasing it....
I just spent tonnes on my new helmet and camera...
The wife has sorta cut me off....to much me buying

Anyways nice vid and keep up the great work....
We will hook up sometime soon I hope....

Mike
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

Looks pretty damn cool. I'd say the future of video cams is looking very interesting. We'll have to get card readers directly connected to our various PCs and MACs to download the footage, I think.

I have a Memory stick reader on my home desktop and external USB readers are actually very inexpensive... also I believe it is still possible to connect the cameras directly and effectively use them as readers.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Firewire transfer speed is 400mbps, and if you have Firewire 2.0 it's double that. Transfer rates on flash drives usually top out at 40mbps at the moment, regardless of what interface they are plugged into. So, perhaps it MIGHT be faster than real time, but we'll have to see how it operates when we actually get our hands on it.

For review and editing purposes though, I don't see this as a time saver, but the exact opposite. Now we're going to have to download and clear the cards as they fill up every time. THEN we can review the video and choose what we want. Whereas before, we had the option of using the tapes as permanent storage without the overhead. Purchasing dozens of cards is not cost effective.

Instead of a log of the tapes in the order that they were recorded as we go, we now have a series of vaguely named files that mean nothing. Which means we now have to take the time to organize and properly name them. So, while I am grateful for the reduction in weight, and the, hopefully, improvement in video and audio quality, I don't see a brighter future on the maintenance front.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

Firewire transfer speed is 400mbps, and if you have Firewire 2.0 it's double that. Transfer rates on flash drives usually top out at 40mbps at the moment, regardless of what interface they are plugged into. So, perhaps it MIGHT be faster than real time, but we'll have to see how it operates when we actually get our hands on it.

For review and editing purposes though, I don't see this as a time saver, but the exact opposite. Now we're going to have to download and clear the cards as they fill up every time. THEN we can review the video and choose what we want. Whereas before, we had the option of using the tapes as permanent storage without the overhead. Purchasing dozens of cards is not cost effective.

Instead of a log of the tapes in the order that they were recorded as we go, we now have a series of vaguely named files that mean nothing. Which means we now have to take the time to organize and properly name them. So, while I am grateful for the reduction in weight, and the, hopefully, improvement in video and audio quality, I don't see a brighter future on the maintenance front.

Firewire transfer speed is real time (7 mins of video is 7 minutes of capture time)...

The copying time for a 7 minute AVCHD video (at the highest resolution) from card to PC is the ammount of time to copy 1 GB of data... which is probably all of about a minute.

Additionally, just because the video is on a flash memory card it doesn't preclude the possibity of watching it on the camera or displaying the video on a TV using the camera for review...

I agree that Archiving and storage is a concern...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Icon addressed the transfer speed issue.

THEN we can review the video and choose what we want

With this camera you can review the video on the machine itself and choose to keep or delete it then. Why do you think you would have to download to a computer to review? It can be hooked up to a TV just like any other camcorder. It does have AV output.

You misunderstand. I recognize that you can review on the camera, or on a TV as per current procedure. My particular picadillo is that I never erase anything. There are many reasons for this. Students contact me, sometimes years later asking for another copy for various reasons. (one of the more entertaining was his SO was pissed with him and deliberately taped over it with All My Children just to spite him) Others are for historical and entertainment value. What is throw away this year turns out to be pure gold after 10 years, and vice-versa, but I digress....

Point is, that currently, I tend to review the footage as it's captured and log it in a video log, which includes date, position on the tape, tape number, etc.. Once done, it's done. Now, I'll have to take the files, put them into the computer, then archive them to DVD or similar permanent hi-def & large capacity format, and THEN produce a log of what's what. Two extra steps taking additional time and effort. And it will have to be done as each card is filled, otherwise, we lose the video permanently.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of solid state. No more tape failures. No gears to jam. Lighter, possibly more rugged. More creative options on where to set up shots. Higher quality pictures. Pure digital all the time, no degredation of picture or sound.

Just more administrative work.

There's always trade-offs. We'll just have to adjust our habits.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

Solid state is actually a ton better for logging if you use a good logging/indexing program since you can include far more details into the metatags associated with each file (inside and outside the cataloging program) and actually do something with them later. This can be done currently with captured video but to capture an hours tape takes an hour and then afterwords who wants to spend another hour building tags and such for each tape? With Solid State the capture is done in as little as 10-12 minutes and then the tagging process starts. This can save a ton of time over the course of a year.

I tag all my photos (I keep copies of everything I shoot including tandems) and can search out by name or one of another few tags I have set up in Lightroom. For example I can tell you how many photos I have with Scott in them (6) or Matt C (618 photos) and I can pull them up in a single click. Use of similar tagging and indexing programs for video can let you apply the jumpers names as tags as well as things like "8 way", "Skyvan","Funnel" and the date so that at any point in the future if someone asks for the video where and 8 way funnels out of the Skyvan all you have to do is plug in the variables and it will instantly pull up the file in question for review and exporting or editing. This is a whole lot better then trying to maintain notebooks full of info that I can not decipher 2-3 years later or change if needed.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

not to mention you can now embed metadata directly into a stream using either voice or text....
Metadata is the future of archiving/logging. Timecode is always constant, so is what we tag with, but memory and paper fade.
.mxf is great for this, as it allows up to four fields of data to be inserted from the cameras in addition to GPS info, date/time/framerate/aperture/shutter/gain/ and all other camera settings.