stevebabin

Freefall Deployable Paraglider?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a paraglider that could be deployed from freefall. I seem to recall a company in Europe was developing one, but I havn't heard anything about it in a while.
Anyone?

Thanks,
Steve
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Christian Wehrfritz designed one a while back, but I couldn't talk him into letting me jump it. You can't pack the fabric they use, and their lines aren't generally strong enough to survive an opening. Further, paragliders have aspect ratios and wing curvatures that make deployment very difficult. It could be done, but it would be neither a paraglider nor a normal ram-air parachute; it would be a hybrid borrowing from both designs.

One of the locals was out at crosskeys one weekend test jumping one for a company that does military contracts.

It had locks on the risers so you could ajust the trim while packing it so it opened more like a parachute.

Once you had a malfunction free opening, you released the locks and the trim changed to that of a paraglider.

It was really cool. I wanted to jump it. He wouldn't let me.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

That page hasn't been updated for 3 years!

What's wrong with that? Once you have the name of the manufacturer and the website, it's not difficult to get additional info if you want to. On the left side of the screen there are the 2 words "last news". Move the pointer of the mouse over there and press the left button of the mouse. You will get news from ~6 months ago.
If you know how to use google, from nervures and Denali, you can easily find parachutes of germany, an other manufacturer of drop paragliders.
What else do you need?
--
Come
Skydive Asia

Hi Steve,
I've looked through this thread in the hope that your question has been answered, lots of suggestions but no answer that i could see which applied to the civilian market. I hope you found an answer and can now share it with me as i launch into a project along the same line of thinking.
Let me know through here or by e-mail [email protected] Thanks. dzp

I was wondering if anyone knew of a paraglider that could be deployed from freefall. I seem to recall a company in Europe was developing one, but I havn't heard anything about it in a while.
Anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTrMQitk5vk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk9H5utUzlA

Ozone Bullet

regards,
Tomasz

The Bullet isn't a paraglider - it's a speedflying wing (or groundlauching as we'd a call it).

Deploying these wings from freefall is bad ju-ju.

There's a video kicking around somewhere of someone BASEing a Gin Nano speedflyer. He spun until impact.

For the record, I understand the only terminal freefall deployed paraglider jump was by Jimmy Hall.

For this, I'm talking about a paraglider designed purely for paragliding, not a crossover like what Nervures or Para Flite has.

D-bagging paragliders has been done by many, normally at slow speeds (other paragliders, helicopters, ultralights etc). I don't know about higher speed d-bagging. That would get messier.

(As for Jimmy's jumps in Hawaii: A few photos are up on a paragliding site. He wrote that he blew lines on every jump, having done multiple jumps. Presumably he didn't reline the whole glider beforehand with stronger lines. That's a lot of work. He had added a slider! I know of no video that is public. Although Jimmy is dead, I inquired with Ozone, the manufacturer of his paraglider. Someone there figured someday they might be able to get the video together and publish something.)

D-bagging paragliders has been done by many, normally at slow speeds (other paragliders, helicopters, ultralights etc). I don't know about higher speed d-bagging. That would get messier.

there was this video by Olivier Vietti where they Dbagged a paraglider from a Pilatus TurboPorter.

It worked out fine :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM