drudchen

Canon G10

Just wanted to let everyone know that the new Canon G10 (as opposed to an old G9) now has an external shutter release, regular 2.5mm plug for a bite/tongue switch.

I got it a few days ago, and it seems to work pretty well. It's fairly light and fits great on my Rawa helmet. Has lots of features, manual settings and has 14.7 Megapixels. The lens has a pretty wide view as well (28mm (35mm equiv)). Also shoots RAW (and RAW+LJPEG).

The downside that I noticed so far is the noise at high ISO settings. But I guess it is expected with the size of the sensor. I was shooting at 400ISO last weekend, and noise is noticeable. I'll probably use no more than 200 from now on. It also has AI Servo autofocus which works well with a biteswitch

A few sample pictures attached

Edit: online review and specs:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091702canon_g10.asp

I't been a while - could those of you who have used it share their experiences? How does it perform in skydiving practice? Would you recommend the G10 as a smaller alternative to a DSLR? Why? Why not?
---
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
~ Bertrand Russell

I think it looks like a great light weight free fall camera . Looks like the frame rate is a bit slow at 0.7 frames per second, but it's light weight. I see it doesn't have ttl viewer. But you wouldn't need it for free fall anyways.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I think it looks like a great light weight free fall camera . Looks like the frame rate is a bit slow at 0.7 frames per second, but it's light weight. I see it doesn't have ttl viewer. But you wouldn't need it for free fall anyways.

For the record, I wouldn't call G10 lightweight. Small size, compact - sure. But it's quite a brick ;)

I have since switched to a Canon XS dslr. Yes, mostly for the frame rate. Also, high-ISO performance is much better (less noise).

On not-so important jumps, I still take my casio z770 (now that thing is lightweight - 110g!)

So, based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend the g10 as a great skydiving camera.
Pros: Small, snag-free, stereo plug for biteswitch, good battery life, lots of manual settings, fairly wide angle stock lens.
Cons: low framerate, bad noise problem at ISO 400 and more, not much cheaper than XS/i.

Ive been using the canon G10 for about 3 months now and love it. I mostly use it for tandem videos and everyday skydiving. If its a specific jump, or photo op, sunset or night ill use a 40D.
The picture quality is great aside from the noise at higher ISO but most skydives are during day light and only require 100 or 200 ISO. The G10 and CX 100 together weigh about the same as my Sony HC 5 alone so the weight is much better for the neck especially when you have a busy day of tandem videos. The camera also works great for free flying, RW and canopy flying.

The cons for me are: less pictures only about 30 free fall pics but thats plenty for a tandem in addition to pre jump and landing pics its a disc of about 50 pics. It takes 2 pics every 3 seconds. Its noisy at High ISO. Also the memory card is inside the battery compartment which means you have to take your quick release bracket off to get to the SD card or use the usb port to download pics to a burner.

Pros lighter than the rebel series. 14.7 mp gives great pics that hold up to larger prints, newspaper and print covers. I use a camera now on jumps that i wouldn't normally use one. You barely notice it on your helmet. Its very simple to use.

Overall its my opinion that its a great little camera for all around skydiving.
Blue Skies
Joe
"Knowledge is the antidote to fear."
--- Ralph Waldo Emerson

That is actually really nice. The canopy shots that Dmitry posted earlier were hard to gage but that tandem shot turned out very nice. This obviously pales in comparison to a good DSLR but it looks like a good lightweight alternative for non-pro jumpers.

thanks for posting that.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

No wide angle needed which saves money on lenses. I think the lens converts to about a 17 mm lens. I use a .36 or .43 wide angle lens on my CX100 and HC 5 they both come out pretty close to each other.

I have noticed recently on a few exit shots were im shooting the Tandem exit on my back shooting into the sun with clouds around above the tandem, that the back ground is blown out. I shoot on TV shutter priority 800 shutter speed, 200 ISO. Manuel setting of the aperture might help keep it exposed right. Or a rear float exit when there is a light layer of clouds above allowing the sun to shine through.
Blue Skies
Joe
"Knowledge is the antidote to fear."
--- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Canon says it the equivalent of a 28mm lens (on a 35mm film camera), which is about 17mm on a DSLR.

That's just about what I shoot... I generally have my 10-22mm set at 17 to 18mm...

which aligns nicely to my Century 0.55x lens... the only thing I wouldn't like about the camera is the lag between shots... and like DSE I'd have to get another RRS mount for the camera... :$:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Canon also sells a filter adapter which can help protect the lens... however, at full zoom the lens hits the filter and at full wide angle the adapter vignettes the corners. Not a very good design.

I just found an adapter from Lens Mate that converts to a 72mm filter and does not vignette at full wide angle. Seems to work very well.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/ A little spendy but a good design.

Everything is mounted and ready to go... Now I just have to figure out the camera and what settings to use??? Any help is appreciated.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

O.K. I've been playing around with this new G10 for a couple weeks now. And, I love it! Small and easy to use. Fits my helmet setup perfectly. Great photo quality (now that I've figured it out).

On a recent dive, I was able to take 22 good shots of an RW team from exit to break off. Which, is good enough for what I'm using it for. Frame rate is a bit slow, but workable.

Hers's a few examples... enjoy!

I've been using the tv setting at 200iso. We've been playing around with manual focus mode and it seems to produce a bit quicker frame rate.

Don't be to quick to order one, Cannon just introduced the G11. Reduced Mega Pixels which may be in response to slow frame rate or noise at higher iso's???

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=19209

Thanks for the info..

chose the G10 over G11.... G11 screen is on a hinge & I forsee "problems" at 130 mph! (of course this could be overcome with a cam condom)

Or Gaffer's Tape

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

Added a Canon G10 to my setup a few weeks ago, and will reiterate what's already been said... other than slow frame rate and noise above 200 ISO, it's a great little camera...

Exit shot taken in TV - 1/500, F4, ISO 100

edited to add exif data...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."