JVH1727

What's the Best HD Video Camera?

Best one practical for skydiving? Sony XDCAM EX.
Scott Campos, Norman Kent, Scotty Burns, Greg Gasson, myself have all jumped it.
If you think about putting one on before you've got several hundred jumps, plan on losing it, being hurt, or both.

Best one practical for skydiving? Sony XDCAM EX.
Scott Campos, Norman Kent, Scotty Burns, Greg Gasson, myself have all jumped it.
If you think about putting one on before you've got several hundred jumps, plan on losing it, being hurt, or both.

I thought the same thing but practical is a tough call. You should did up that pic of it on Scott's head...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Thank for the info and concern. Sorry, I haven't updated my profile for sometime. I jumped with some of you guys in PR. last February. I have 800+ jumps, 200+ base jumps, and 150-200 of them being wing suit jumps. I've been jumping the FF2 with a Hc-42 and want to upgrade.
Thanks, JVH :P

>What's the Best HD Video Camera? I don't care how much it costs.

HDR-HC1.

No..thats a HDV camera...not HD

HD and HDV are two completely different things...:P

OK, smart guy. Define *exactly* how HD and HDV are different.

Kay..shit...here goes nothing..:$

Technically HDV is a recording format for an HD signal..
Where HDV, instead of nice and sharp full frame 1920x1080 HD frame, records a (usualy MPG2/MPEG4) compressed interlaced 1440x1080 (non-square pixel) image.

Comparing a still frame from a 'professional' (read: expensive/bulky) HD camera to one from a pro-sumer HDV camera (lenses aside) definately shows a difference. Esp. when looking at the way colour is handled (esp. important when working with blue/green screen.)

So though (technically) HDV is concidered HD, a better name would be 'low-budget-HD'

Not completely my cup of tea (this is about as far as my limited knowledge into this techy side of things goes). But I know what kind of source material I prefer when working with HD background plates for visual effects.B|

snif..:|how did I do?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Maby Canon 5D mark II ?

For basejumping (night jumps) I think that one would rock, with regards to the amazing low-light ability.

And quality-wise, when combined with a good set of lenzes, I think you can create magic...

Magic comes at a price though...though when compared with other high-end equipment, a verry affordable price for anyone really serious about things..B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

(esp. important when working with blue/green screen.)

I'm kinda curious how much green screen work you are doing in freefall?

FWIW, most people refer to HDV cams as HD. No it isn't uncompressed HD, but who the hell is jumping that stuff?

As far as a previous post goes, I have both the A1U and the HC-5, but I hardly jump the A1U anymore. The A1U is a great camera, but for most freefall there really isn't that much difference except the HC-5 is smaller and lighter.

:D Gawd, I love this discussion.
Nothing "technical" about HDV being "true" HD. It is.
So is AVCHD. Both are consumer/prosumer grades. The line gets REALLY blurred here, because both of them are MPEG-based formats. This means they have a sample scheme of 4:2:0. For the work *you* do (pulling keys, plates, etc) 4:2:0 can be challenging if not lit exactly right. Most of your source is probably 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, or even 3:1:1. Which is indeed, a higher quality chroma sample than HDV. However....

The ATSC spec is 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 displayed frame size. Pixel aspect, chroma sample, compression do not figure into any aspect of the HD definition. Anywhere. Whether talking acquisition or deliver.
This exact same argument took place when Beta SP ruled the world and DV came along. Purists said DV would never be pro, never be true-broadcast, and wasn't professional. Well..the proof is in the putting, and today, easily 60% of what is on television is DV.
The differences aren't found nearly as much in the compression as in the sensors or glass. HDV can have sensors ranging from .6 to 1" in size. XDCAM HD has .5 and .66 sensors. Both use MPEG 2 compression.

here's a fun measurebation argument...
Panasonic HVX200 has 960 x 540 imager. They upsample vertically and horizontally to generate a 1280 x 720 image. They use a color sample of 4:2:2.
Sony Z7 has a 1920 x 1080 imager block. It resamples to create a 1440 x 1080 image. They use a 4:2:0 color sample.
Whose frame has the greatest color data/sample content?
Both are HD by definition.
Bottom line is that the glass, sensor block make a significantly greater difference between "pro-level" and "consumer-level" camcorders in today's world.
Anything that displays a 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 image is indeed, HD. Including those POS Sanyo Xacti's and similar cameras.
BTW, AVCHD is the new standard for Panasonic, except they're calling it AVC-Intra. They're cranking the datarate, hoping to offset the losses of compression. IMO, image looks like shit, and if you think it's hard to pull a plate from HDV...wait'll you play with AVC-I, not to mention the decode time and CPU load.

So....you're using the word "technical" to define what is/isn't HD, when in truth, the point is that you're used to working with 16mm and 35mm source content that has been digitized, or working with very high end VIPERcam stock. That is indeed, HD, but it's no more, no less HD than the CX12 that I fly on a regular basis. It's just a different compression and color sample.
Come down from your ivory tower and play with the little guys once in a while, will ya?:D

And did very well. If you can teach me to fly a wingsuit as well as you,

I heard through the grapevine thats mostly video editing skills and clever photoshop work....dont believe everything the media tell you;)

Buy my book. Or, gimme a coupla jump tix.

Hey..close to what Im doing...
Cheap 3D animated skydiving logos for jump tix.B|

'my book' is sadly available for free on my website..no jump tix to be earned there...it does have a great co-author:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Maby Canon 5D mark II ?

For basejumping (night jumps) I think that one would rock, with regards to the amazing low-light ability.

And quality-wise, when combined with a good set of lenzes, I think you can create magic...

Magic comes at a price though...though when compared with other high-end equipment, a verry affordable price for anyone really serious about things..B|

Why only night jumps ? It isnt that bad on the day time either !

It sure does cost more than the consumer HDV cameras, but the image quality is in the same category with cameras that cost A LOT more.

And the best part of it is that you wont need a neck brace ! :D

>What's the Best HD Video Camera? I don't care how much it costs.

HDR-HC1.

No..thats a HDV camera...not HD

HD and HDV are two completely different things...:P

HDV refers to high-definition video and HD refers to hard drive?? :D