billvon

HC5 plus Hypeye

This weekend I made a few jumps with a "full-up" hypeye and an HC5. The hypeye-D was wired to an Optima altimeter for visual altitude warning, a bite switch for taking stills and the usual start-stop switch.

The DC5 will take up to 3 pictures while recording video, and will capture 4 megapixel images. The hypeye worked fine, but I was disappointed with the quality of the images. (See below.) Pictures turned out considerably better when not recording video, so there may be a hidden setting I am not seeing (or resolution may be limited during video recording.)

The visual altitude warning was pretty cool; it works a lot better for me than an audible dytter. (My head's so big that there's no room for a dytter in the lining of my flat-top.)

Same experience here with the "screenshot" quality stills during video record. Not sure there is anything that can be done. I think it only shoots true 4mp in still mode.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

The stills will virtually always be soft in high-speed shooting situations and simultaneous recording. They are full resolution images, but as you've discovered, the myth of "more resolution is better" isn't quite true.
You have more pixels to be messed up due to IS, you have an already hard-working imager buffering still image content to the processor, and a reasonably challenged lens quality for still imagery.
Going to Manual modes with the camera (as manual as the HC5 allows) will help, but still not enough to give you the quality of an XT or similar.

DSE explained most of it already....
It definitelly looks like some motion blure comdined with the JPEG processing.
Manual settings as much as possible could help a lot.
Focus to infinity, make sure you get fast shutter speed, (can you set that manually on the HC5? if not use sport mode), and torn off the EIS (electonic image stabilization).