auburnguy

Starting out

I am looking to start flying video and later with an SLR. I am planing a setup now so I can figure out how much money I will need.
Video is where I need the help. I am looking at a canon HV30, mainly because I love canon and from my experience they tend to make the best stuff on the market. For those who dont want to google it, its a hi-def minidv, image stabilized. Thoughts?
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

Aside from the fact that you can't use an HV30 for skydiving... it's also an old, and will be discontinued in 3 months, model. New stuff around the corner...
A few more jumps might be in order as well.
Welcome to the forum, please check out the "README sticky" at the top of the forum.

Its future planning, I'm about to buy a big block of jumps so it will only be about 3-4 months out.

Why cant the HV30 be used for skydiving?
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

I'll rephrase;
you *can* use the HV30 for skydiving; I can think of at least half a dozen reasons why you wouldn't want to.
I *can* tell you those half-dozen reasons, but somehow I think you'd be better off researching this forum and using the SEARCH function, and key in on this same question asked at least 25 times in the past about various non-Sony cameras and image stabilization.

Why cant the HV30 be used for skydiving?

Because DSE said so....!!!:P;)B|
hahahahaha.....

just bustin' your chops...;):P:)
really though.. please stay open minded to critiques from here, and be willing to at least listen to feedback, and willing to Search and read , some of the previous post threads on this informative forum...:)lots of GOOD stuff.....

jmy
a 3914
d 12122
POPS 3935

I did search and all that was there was more of people saying it cant be used, no technical reasons. But it doesnt matter because I found a comparable brand new sony for a lot less (HDR-HC9)
- Homer Simpson

I did search and all that was there was more of people saying it cant be used, no technical reasons. But it doesnt matter because I found a comparable brand new sony for a lot less (HDR-HC9)

:D:D:D same problem with the image stabilisation :D:D:D

but go right ahead, you seem to know everything better anyhow ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

No, it's not the same problem with the image stabilization. It's a different potential problem with the image stabilization. There are many, many HC9's in use for skydiving. I saw at least a dozen at the Nationals, being used for competition.

I'm getting it at cost from a reputable dealer (i know the owner of the store) if it turns out bad which it sounds like it wont as long as OIS is off I'll just return it.

[edited by moderator; personal attacks aren't tolerated, your one warning]
- Homer Simpson

damn....

I really don't say much on here....but dude you should sit back and listen to yourself...if you have done tonnes of reading on this forum ( photograghy and video ) it doesn't take much to figure out who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't..
So read and listen to what some more experienced have to say...

otherwise don't ask your questions if u dont want to here there answers....

thats my rant/ 2 cents
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

He is only waiting to hear the answers "he wants to hear" and not the experienced camera flyer opinions. or should i say "selective hearing"

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................