igoswoop

Higher End/Prosumer Grade HDV Cameras

I'm pretty much just a lurker of these forums and use the search function pretty regularly...;)

I would like to get some recommendations/feedback from some of you with your experiences with some cameras a step up from the standard consumer grade HC/CX HD cameras.

I'll be using it for some freefall from time to time, but mostly under canopy. If it would be used in freefall, most of the jumps would be tracking or wingsuit jumps. Only small clips from the video sequences would be used so editing out some occasional flutter is not that big of a deal.
1080i resolution is acceptable for the time being but the right deal on a 1080p camera would be considered(it would be considered ideal but a little out of my price range for now.)
The cameras I'm researching are:
-HVR-A1U
-HDR-FX1000
-HDR-FX7
-HDR-FX1

I'm just looking for a solid recommendation for something a step up in video quality from my HC5 and CX12. They are great for doing small projects in Final Cut Express but I want a little more for a larger project coming up. I'm leaning towards the A1U just for the size/wght factor but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

For reference, I'll be using it with my Wes Rich CCM

The XDCAM EX is definitely a high end camera and to date, I think the only ones to have jumped this camera are myself and DSE. I've jumped it in a wingsuit and I think he's jumped it in normal freefall. This is an amazing camera but its not something you'd want to jump in a wingsuit on a regular basis as it acts as a huge rudder, as do most video cameras with this shape, and can be challenging to fly.

DSE can better guide you toward which model would be ideal for your budget and requirements. Just realize that any camera with this same form factor is going to be a handful. Tracking with it in an ideal position to film and fly your body may not be obtainable depending on your subject as very minor head movements have a big effect on your flight.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have jumped the A1U extensively. It is the only cam in your list that has electronic image stabilization. Which, IMHO, is the best option for freefall. It is relatively small, and is easy to mount and fly. However, I don't think it is that much of a step-up from the HC-5 for aerial work (way better for most ground stuff due to more control of the image and better audio options).

I also have the V1U (pro version of the FX7), but I haven't jumped it and don't plan to. It is a great camera, but the size and OIS rule it out for any freefall work that I do.

Don't know if anyone saw the freefall footage from Everest jumps, but the clips I saw on NBC and CBS were obviously shot using OIS cameras and it was annoying as hell. Maybe in post they can improve the footage for future projects (and I understand I was watching something compressed to get it uploaded quickly to the networks). But in this news media application, whatever they gained in quality by using "higher-end" cameras was lost by the shaky OIS footage that the networks broadcast.

Norman Kent regularly jumps the EX1, and previous to that was jumping an FX1 and Z1. I've got a coupla dozen EX1 jumps on my belly, and half a dozen in a wingsuit. Scotty Burns has many FX1 jumps, a coupla EX1 jumps (AFAIK). They're all big-ass rudders. Scott was the first in the world to jump this cam; it was a prototype I had at Eloy over the Holiday Boogie.
They're all the same planform as the cams you list excepting the A1U, which is now discontinued. It was a superb small format HDV cam.
The FX1000 is a joke...avoid it. Crummy 'everything' on that model.
If you think the A1 will be an improvement over an HC5, you'd better play with them both. You'll find it isn't a significant improvement, just an improvement.
1080p by itself shouldn't be a consideration. 1080p in combination with other features...THAT should be a consideration. For example, the Panasonic HVX offers 1080p. It looks like shit. No...worse than shit. It's sensors are smaller than a PAL DV camcorder, then upsampled.
Speaking of shit...if RED ever gets theirs together and actually makes a fully-functioning, all-features intact model, or gets the "new" Scarlet online (they just scrapped it recently, to redesign, more news later ((if ever))) might be a decent choice.
1080p30 is barely useful for skydiving, 1080p60 is very useful, but price is an issue for you right now. If you don't need to jump today...wait til approx March. It'll be worth the wait, IMO.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I'm wishing I had gone with A1U's (or HC1's)in the first place over HC5's but that's neither here nor there at this point.

If I'm not going to see the categorical jump in video performance I'm after on the A1U, it looks like one of the FX1 or FX7's are where I'm headed. March is a pretty long wait so spill what you can on what's around the corner, please????;)

The heads up on the FX1000 is appreciated too.

I know after jumping some VX2000's awhile back the larger planform cams aren't a picnic while freefalling doing any type of head first movement flight but I need something more than the HC/CX can offer. The freefall segments will be brief so image stabilization method is really not a large concern.

An HC7 mounted upside down flying daffed out on my head gets the "head up" position just fine...:P

Thank you all again for taking the time with your helpful responses.