Zeppo

Ring Sight

I've been jumping camera for a while now (just under a year), and I'd like to get a ring sight to improve my framing, which at this point, kinda sucks.

I'm not exactly familiar with the various systems, so I just wanted to get feedback on my choices (and yes, I will also be speaking with my local videographers)

BRENT'S CONCENTRIC SIGHT - 1/4" - Paragear item: L1235

SCHUMACHER 1/4" SWIVEL CLAMP - Paragear Item: L1361

SCHUMACHER ARTICULATING RING SIGHT BRACKET - Paragear Item: L1365

Is there any additional mounting piece that I need? Is concentric perhaps not the way to go?

I appreciate any assistance you could offer.

Thanks.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

I did try searching, but I mostly found discussions about the benefits of the ringsight, instead of specific ring sights, and the assembly of them.

I guess I could have looked longer though...

I would suggest going straight to Brent Finley's website to order a concentric Ringsight.

I think the biggest disadvantage to the concentric ring is that it is rather expensive... other then that... I don't know of any... :P

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

get a pair of goggles that fit well and use a paper reinforcement tab a.k.a. a paper asshole. the reality is you dont "need" a ringsite to shoot good video. you need properly set up gear and alot of practice. just my .02 for what its worth. good luck with your learning and be safe.

Just curious, what helmet are you using and what difficulty are you having, why do you think you need a ring site. I'm just wondering.

Have you considered Item: L1370 REMOVABLE ARTICULATING RING SIGHT BRACKET ?
If you want to go for a fun jump you can quickly remove the sight. After the jump, when you replace it, it's still aligned and ready to go.
I remove it every day at the end of jumping to make sure it doesn't get bumped in my gear bag.
Well worth the extra couple of $$ in my humble opinion.

I'm using a Rawa helmet and a HC96 camera. The issue that I have is that the manner in which the helmet actually sits on my head can swivel. So the camera could be pointed higher, or lower, than i expected. I tried using the little piece of paper, but that just isn't working for me. I think simply that my helmet and goggles are disconneted, and not necessarily in the exact same place each time. or perhaps it's all in my head, and I just suck at doing video.

I'm hoping that attaching a sight directly to the helmet will eliminate that issue.

Yes, it does. It's not that it moves around on my head once I put the helmet on, it's that I might not put it on the exact same way each time. The chin straps having about a 40 degree angle change, it's very possible for me to put the helmet on and have the camera pointing down...or up (relative to my goggle sight anyway)

A concentric site probably would help. It's really an amazing little device. Once it's sighted in, that little circle is right on the mark. You can even check the aim with the helmet off your head by looking through the sight with a mirror.

I'd personally avoid the ringsight if you can live without it. You might find a way to get the helmet on the same every time, or use a laser pointer to get sighted in. I personally think the ringsight is the single piece of the camera helmet that adds the most risk. There have been multiple fatalities due to ringsight entanglements... and a recent incident proves that even nylon screws don't make the ringsight so easy to break off in an emergency.

I finally got one this year when my 4-way team got a little more serious... brent concentric sight and the removable articulating bracket. Works great. I remove the sight for any kind of inside video or coach jumps. And I always take it off when I put the helmet away. Definitely recommended if you decide to get a ringsight.

Dave

If the helmet is slipping around on your head, a ringsight won't help. Does the helmet have a chincup?

Well, if it's moving excessively then it's probably not going to work no matter what you do. But if it's just moving a little bit, or aimed in a slightly different direction every time you put it on, then a concentric ringsight will help, because of the way the optics inside work, you will always see the target floating over exactly what the camera is pointed at, even if that line is not parallel to your line of sight. The concentric ringsight actually removes parallax, which paper asshole and the orange lollipops cannot.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

A cross ring sight, imho, does just as good a job at getting your helmet on right every time as the concentric ring, and costs about 100 bucks less. I would still recommend Brent's though as its construction with the glass covers is more durable than some of the others out there.

You will want one of the articulated mounts be it removable or otherwise when mounting on a Rawa due to the helmet's shell not extending down your forehead very far. The post mounts only work well if you have a fairly vertical place to start from.

I don't have a Rawa so I'm not sure entirely how it would work out, but on my FF2, I mounted a sight over my left eye to keep any mounting hardware away from the sides of the helmet to help mitigate the snag hazard. Even if you're right eye dominant (as I am) you'll probably find the sight works well in this configuration.