corpkid

Prescription Goggles?

I have a pair of prescription goggles from Sportrx and they are great! I was even able to use my work benefits to pay for the goggles since they are prescription eye wear.
If your prescription is stronger than what their website says they can make, give them a call. They were still able to make my prescription strength with the goggles that I wanted.

I just ordered a pair of sportrx last week (G103 with poly carbonate lens) for $114.95.
I didnt think of trying to submit it on my insurance
but now I'm going to give it a shot!!!

Chris

:D <- me when I've reduced this Windows machine to rubble

Some of the goggle makers have oversize goggles that are designed to accomodate eyeglasses. Today's styles in eyeglasses tend to be pretty small anyway. My glasses are small, so I use a $3 retainer band to hold them snug, with a $14 oversize plastic goggle. Works great.

Also, I don't know how old or blind you are, but a friend of mine who used to wear prescrip goggles 10 or so years ago gave up on them because he couldn't read his altimeter without bifocals. So if you're old or blind enough to need bi's or tri's, you're getting into some tricky/expensive prescriptions. $30 max for goggles and a retainer band will set you right.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Yeah, I thought about doing that... But I like shades more than goggles. Something about the form of the goggles throws me off..

Not too blind, and not too old (yet), so I'll probably grab some nifty "cool-guy" mirrored specs to go w/ my new rig. Ya figure if your spending THAT much, what's another $150? :S Checked and my insurance will cover up to $80, so not too bad overall!

Thanks again! B|

Some of the goggle makers have oversize goggles that are designed to accomodate eyeglasses.

The attached pics show the Bolle X500 'Attacker' goggles. Polycarbonate, fog-proof, impact resistant goggles designed to fit over most eyeglasses and intended more for military use.
An ungainly, chunky piece of eyewear for sure.

I'm not suggesting a person buy them as a first choice ..but if you have them, would they even be allowed on most DZs ?
So long as you can clearly see your handles and have reasonable(?) peripheral vision it should be acceptable, right ?

GOGGLE-X500-4.JPG

GOGGLE-X500-2.JPG

Some of the goggle makers have oversize goggles that are designed to accomodate eyeglasses. Today's styles in eyeglasses tend to be pretty small anyway. My glasses are small, so I use a $3 retainer band to hold them snug, with a $14 oversize plastic goggle. Works great.

Works great until their high profile catches the wind and flips em off your face. Thats happened to me 3 times even with the strap so tight it was reshaping my head into an hourglass. The only way to keep em on for sure was a helmet which I prefer to not wear if I'm doin a solo jump.

Prescription goggles rock :-)

I have worn prescription basketball glasses for the last decade. They are similar to racketball glasses, only larger. They provide great eye protection, especially when loving students slam me into the door frame!
They may look a bit geeky, as long as you don't mind looking like a multi-millionaire professional basketball player.

I bought a normal pair of goggles, and the lens from my old set of prescription sunglasses fit them!

The script is still pretty good for me.

I'm happy for the moment. Saved me a few hundred dollars.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Just a word of caution - Make sure you try your new goggles on with your helmet (if you wear one) before you jump.

I got a pair of prescription goggles from www.sportrx.com a while back but I haven't jumped with them yet. The goggles seem fine when I put them on by themselves, but when I put my helmet on it causes the goggles to warp a little bit. The bending of the goggles caused things in the side of my field of view to be bent a little. This made me a little dizzy and a little hesitant to try them out.

Also, has anyone else with prescription goggles noticed this?

john