Source for switch used in tongue/bite switch?

Hey Sam.

All the tongue switches I've seen on the market (Conceptus, etc) use a type of switch called a "tact switch." I've never seen one sold at Radio Shack. It took me a long time to even figure out that this is what they were called. Good source for tact switches is digi-key.com or mouser.com. The ones that are commonly used in skydiving mouth switches are 12x12mm.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/635/1519.pdf

Go to the above link, look at variation "H" in the 4.3mm height... there are two versions, 260 and 320gf (different forces required to push button). I got some of the 260, or more specifically this item, and they seemed almost identical to what was inside of my Conceptus switch. There are other manufacturers too you can browse through.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

You are in the right ballpark for the switches. But just because it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, doesn't mean it is a duck. I'm not going to specifically point out better choices, but I will say, "Think about it a little bit more". DSE is a professional videographer and should know more to tell you about choosing a mouth switch. Maybe one of the manufactures will let us in on their specifications/suppliers? Good luck with your project! X!^!

Several videographers use a reed switch that is then wrapped in electrical tape as a moisture barrier. I meant to grab a photo of one over the weekend but failed to get er' done.
The tactile switches Matt refers to are great, most of the tact switches I've seen are fairly fragile, hence the need to keep a Conceptus or one of Laszlo's switches around as a backup.

most of the tact switches I've seen are fairly fragile, hence the need to keep a Conceptus or one of Laszlo's switches around as a backup.

This statement is confusing, because both of those you mentioned as backups use tact switches also, and it seems like you're implying they're different (better or stronger) than tact switches. See attached photo of the Pro Mouth switch next to a tact switch. The Conceptus tongue switches use the same part too. I am not sure about the Conceptus bite switches as I've never seen one.

Several videographers use a reed switch that is then wrapped in electrical tape as a moisture barrier. I meant to grab a photo of one over the weekend but failed to get er' done.

I would be interested in a photo of that. Haven't seen it yet. Sounds interesting. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Sorry, didn't mean to be confusing. I use the Conceptus switch and because the tact switches tend to fail after a couple thousand pix, I keep extras around. The rubber gets moisture in it, but that may just be my teeth.
Although I failed to take pix of a couple rigs over the weekend, I'm absolutely sure someone in this forum has pix.
here is a variation on the theme of what others around here (seems common in the West) are doing.
Here is a Radio Shack switch I've seen a lot of.

Several videographers use a reed switch that is then wrapped in electrical tape as a moisture barrier.

?????

A good advantage of reed switches is that they are intrinsecally impervious to moisture. The disadvantage is that not many videographers have magnetic teeth or magnetic tongue? ;)

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com

Or consider a 'vacuum switch' I blagged a couple by phoning a distributor and explaining what I was trying to do - they sent a couple as 'samples'. They're small enough to fit inside the lining of my helmet and the only bit that goes in my mouth is a bit of replaceable tubing.

John

Anybody know a good source in the states for the switch/es used for tongue and/or bite switches?

The attached graphic file shows the tongue switch I made, with some part numbers from Mouser Electronics. www.mouser.com

The covering is a "finger cot", from Walmart or drugstore.

I might put a more compete writeup on the pcprg.com web site at some point with some other info.

Thanks for the tip.

How long have you now used it ? How does it work ?

Im thinking about trying the same thing. My bite switch stopped working and I opened it to see what was wrong with it. (see the picture)

It turned out the problem was it was rusted from inside and therefore didnt conduct electricity.

I didnt take a picture of the switch before I opened it, but I can tell you there were no visible holes in it really, though obviously there was at least one tiny hole in it since it had gathered moisture inside. I used the switch for one summer. (maby about 5000-6000 shots)

Had there been something covering the switch a little better, I think it would still work as normal...

How long have you now used it ? How does it work?

Have not used it long. I'm a casual skydive photographer. 10 jumps maybe.

It works fine, but the place that the tip of my tongue wants to go when I push it toward my teeth is slightly below where the tip of the switch is.

I think with some adjustments to the silicone sealer a person could make it feel more natural by making the switch offset a bit.

Thanks for posting that picture of the bite switch. I was wondering how those were made.

Well, even if you would desinfect the exterior of the biteswitch every night, it would have no effect on the inner parts corroding when coming in contact with moisture and oxygen..

It is a chemical reaction which happens anyway when water and oxygen are in contact with metal and does not have much to do with "hygiene" as you suggest.

If you are very sensitive, you can always use hand remote.

The hygiene question was in general.
But how much longer are you using the switch when you see there's moisture and you know theres a chemical reaction happening inside ? ;)

Thanks for the pic. I also wondered what it looked like inside...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

how much longer are you using the switch when you see there's moisture and you know theres a chemical reaction happening inside ?

Well I stopped using it when it stopped working.

There is not much corrosion inside. The brown substance in the front is somekind of slicone/plastic sealing that belongs there.

What does not belong there is the thin layer of corrosion on the metal. No way to detect it exists before you open the rubber sealing.

Anybody know a good source in the states for the switch/es used for tongue and/or bite switches?

The attached graphic file shows the tongue switch I made, with some part numbers from Mouser Electronics. www.mouser.com

Ever had an issue with it falling apart in your mouth in freefall?
My photos

My Videos

I am trying to make a custom special switch for Canon DSLR.
For starters, I ordered Mouser 171-3325-EX plugs from mouser (see attachment). The connector part is TINY! Is there such thing as a female end of the tiny probe (see arrow) so I do not have to solder? Is there any other slick solid solution?
Thanks.

4DBill
http://dslrforvideo.com
http://4dbill.com