freeflyer2k

HC 3 Vs HC 5

To start yes i have searched....
I am one of those early adopters and have had a HC3 since they came out and I absolutely love it...
Now i keep getting people asking me what HD cam they should buy... they all want super cool flash memory cameras but they are not sure because of yada yada OIS isssues, etc etc.
I advise in that case to go buy a cheap HDV tape cam until those issues are resolved...
so next thing the questions start revolving around the HC5 which IMO is a brick in comparison to the HC3 and the extra mega pixels it offers are useless in terms of footage...

Am i missing something ? has the HC 5 any advantages over the HC3 when it comes to freefall videography that i should be telling people about ?
i dont want to be giving bad advice
my HC3 seems to do the same quality job and is slightly lighter smaller etc than the HC 5....
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

your perception of the size differences is (I think) based on the gunmetal vs stainless. They're same width and only slightly (like .25) different in length. A box for any HC will fit all HC.
HC5 has third generation encoder, slightly better image, plus EIS, of course.
you're right, the additional resolution at the sensor does nothing to benefit the video quality.
Both are discontinued.

I have never used the HC 5 so cannot comment on it.....however I have been using the HC3 for a couple of years.

It has three negative points in my opinion:-

1) It defaults back to factory settings after 12 hours of non use

2) It suffers serious flaring in certain circumstances

3) The 'Fader' options are basic indeed and none are suitable for use in a skydiving DVD.

Just my view - it is great in every other respect I can think of.

Best

RedKite

I have never used the HC 5 so cannot comment on it.....however I have been using the HC3 for a couple of years.

It has three negative points in my opinion:-

1) It defaults back to factory settings after 12 hours of non use

All Sony and Canon consumer cams do. They use 12 hour clocks.

2) It suffers serious flaring in certain circumstances

3) The 'Fader' options are basic indeed and none are suitable for use in a skydiving DVD.

Agreed, but that's why non-linear editing rocks!

Just my view - it is great in every other respect I can think of.

Best

RedKite

Flaring?
Do you mean Lense flares or the white in clouds burning out? i havent noticed that...
One thing i have noticed with the HC3 is Super Rich Greens every shade seems to pop on High Def screens.. looks amazing here in Ireland (40 shades and all that) and people like it but my inner geek keeps saying innacurate reproduction :S and it gets ridiculous with my sony bravia set to "Vivid" [:/]

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"