VectorBoy

Macs and AVCHD

It appears that apple is starting to support AVCHD with new editing software for their modern intel machines, no luck for the older power pc macs though.

Enter voltaic HD. Which converts AVCHD to a file that the older macs play with nicely. I would have already downloaded the demo for a test but don't yet have an AVCHD camera and won't for a while if I have to upgrade a system first to edit in AVCHD.

Just curious about its functionality and limitations. They say there is no loss of quality but warn its a memory hog as it is uncompressing AVCHD into an HD quicktime of about 4 times the size. Those demands on RAM might just rule out all but the fastest power PC units.

It works well, but unfortunately doesn't convert to ProRes yet...but my understanding is that with the new tools coming, it will.
Additionally there is finally a decoder for ProRes on Windows...very nice. And free

I just had the first opportunity to use some AVCHD files on my Mac on Friday (I don't have an AVCHD camera, but someone sent me some files for a project I'm working on). I grabbed them off a USB drive using Final Cut Pro's Log and Transfer function, and it worked fine (no other software needed). It converted them on import to Apple's ProRes 422 format (which is their intermediate codec), and they dropped right in my HDV timeline without a problem.

ProRes is 14.6 mb/sec versus DV (or HDV) at 3.2mb/sec, so they are definitely larger. But so far they work fine without a hitch, and without any new or third-party software.

(P.S. using a dual-quad MacPro w/6g RAM)

Apple Software Upgrade had an update for me this morning for Final Cut. I do not have an AVCHD camera, but in the short announcement it mentioned about increased compatibility (or so...) with AVCHD.

Anyone knows more about? I am thinking to buy an AVCHD cam but I am still uncertain...

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

All of the latest mac movie apps now support AVCHD, to what extent I couldn't tell you. But they all say you must have the newer models with intel processors. If you own a power PC G4 or what Might have been a banging G5 movie system you are not going to play. For those systems Voltaic HD will uncompress AVCHD to a very large quicktime file. You also loose the 5.1 sound in this transition. They have a demo to see if it will work on your system or not before you buy.

Only the lastest upgrades of anything from apple actually support AVCHD. In the case of FCE the only difference in the latest upgrade @$100 is that support.

Voltaic uncompresses AVCHD into a quicktime 7 file. Which can be worked with older editing systems. There is also a version for windows so you are not forced to use vegas 8. Although there maybe way more options in a just a little time.