AfricanKid

lenses?

ok so i want to get into photography a bit more seriously. i have canon XT (i think you guys call it that... here it's called 350d) and want to get a nice lens without taking out a loan. mainly i wan to take pics at the dz and maybe some wildlife … that sort of thing.
i have heard the canon 70-300 is nice but then i google it and im totally confused.
what’s the difference between:
70-300 1:4-5.6 IS USM 70-300MM 4-5.6 and EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 70-300 mm IS USM F 4-5.6 (both canons) All i know is that there is a bit more than $100 price difference.
from what i gathered the "IS usm" is the image stabilizer which they both have.
but can someone please explain the other things to me?

I don't think those are any different. Just different shops calling it something slightly different. I have the lens and love it. It's not as nice as the 70-200L (4 versions of that one), but it's much much smaller and lighter and has a bit more zoom. You can see tons of landing pics I've taken with it on my stills site to get an idea of what it's like.

I have heard a lot of people say that they can never go back after upgrading to one of the 70-200s though. The 70-200 f/4 non-IS is in a similar price range I think. Might be worth looking at.

Dave