chezmosteel

VHoldR Camera?????

Looking at the specs its a very narrow field of view, 90 degrees. Your typical skydiver will use a wide angle lens to push their field of view to 130-160 degrees. SD quality only using MPEG4, thats a low end encoding codec for that quality. Its really only good for YouTube/web quality videos. Look at te videos on their site and you can see the quality is not all that great.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have heard they are going to be coming out with a fish eye lens, but I don't think it is out yet. So that might improve that problem some?? But thank you for your advice. Don't want to waste 350 bucks on a camera that isn't going to be ideal. Any alternative camera suggestions??

I have heard they are going to be coming out with a fish eye lens, but I don't think it is out yet. So that might improve that problem some?? But thank you for your advice. Don't want to waste 350 bucks on a camera that isn't going to be ideal. Any alternative camera suggestions??

Search...there are LOTS of alternatives, but DV, AVCHD, or HDV are all better than MPEG4 cams, particularly these cheap "sport" cams.

I've got one- It has proven to be very durable. The small size of this camera is it's biggest asset. The stock 90 degree field of view lens is narrow for most skydiving shots. Quality of the picture is just what you read- great for Youtube and such but not HD. For me it is very acceptable. I've made DVD's that look pretty good. To have a better picture you'd have to spend a lot more money. For me the size makes this camera ideal. I have mine side mounted with some serious hook & loop tape. I used the stock mount for a while on my motorcycle helmet but don't like it for skydiving as it sticks out too much.
Lots of insider talk here:
http://www.vholdr.com/forum
Where did you hear about a fish eye lens? I asked more than once and get no indication this will be made. Since the release Vholdr seems to have spent more on developing their video sharing site than on hardware development.
Overall it's a good little camera & I'd buy another if I lost mine.
If you are into this camera spend some time reading on their forum about it.
Oh & for what it's worth: I'm just out to have fun with this Point Of View camera- I don't consider myself a video guy by any means. The first video I ever made was with MovieMaker & a VHoldr....for that matter all the movies I've made have been with it.
---------------------------------------