Superfletch

Skydiving Dropzone Promo Videos

Here is a Promo Video I created last year. All the video I shot except for the 4 clips that I am in. I made the whole promo on my Macintosh with iMovie HD and photoshop. Tell me what you think. I'd also like to see some of your examples of a promo video from your dropzone. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kveHVsrFMZE

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Would it have been that hard to use non-copyrighted music on something that you are intending to use on all of your videos? There is a ton of good royality free music out there.

The dropzone I am at this year provides a leader on the video so we don't have to worry about it. It's at the start of this video and lasts until 1:20: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrG94S6YDmo
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Would it have been that hard to use non-copyrighted music on something that you are intending to use on all of your videos? There is a ton of good royality free music out there.

Probably not... I'll have to check into that for a future one. This was basically one of my first attempts at editing and I liked the final product so it's just what I use right now.

With all the stink about copyrighted music I should probably investigate that further.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Good camera work. Good composition. Good editing and music choice. The only criticism I'd offer is that it's a bit long.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Tell me what you think.

Thoughts...

I agree with everyone else about the music. My DZ has typically not worried about that kind of stuff, but very recently we started looking into going with royalty free stuff. All the stink that people are making about it really makes me not want to deal with it. I don't want any of our editors getting in trouble.

I also really like what you did with the student exiting at the end and having that transition into the logo graphic. That was really good work!

Also want to second the "it might be too long" comment. I would limit any "promo" material to 30-90 seconds. If you go much longer than that people will lose interest because really, they just want to see themselves. Sell the sport and sell the DZ, but don't do it for too long or your message will be lost on deaf ears / blind eyes.

There were a couple of clips that it looked like you might be able to take some of the shake out of them, if you know how to do that. Or maybe shorten the clip and slow it down a little bit so it's less jerky.

Only other things I can think about come from a DZO standpoint. Some of the clips show things that are questionable jumping conditions. At my DZ that type of thing isn't allowed to be given to wuffos. They don't know it's not ok and who knows where that video will end up. I don't want video from my dz showing up at a FSDO with my DZ name plastered all over it. Then having to explain why my plane is diving and people are jumping anywhere within miles of clouds. Legal or not isn't the point, just don't like to leave anything to interpretation. That might be paranoid and your DZO might not care, but who knows.

Only other thing is that at our DZ, people aren't allowed to do things like that. The primary reason for that is when the customer takes it home and watches it and then watches their friends, we don't want people to be upset that their video isn't as good as their friends. We expect all our editors to follow the same flow. No one is allowed to go overboard and everyone must meet minimum standards. We have been meaning to make a new promo clip for our videos since we got rid of the one that we used to have (looked very 80s) but just haven't yet, so no one can have one. It might be helpful to get together with some more of your video brethren and make something everyone likes and uses.

Overall though, I think you did a pretty good job especially for a "first" edit job!

:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka