Skydive2

Best Wide Angle? [CX-12]

Wow that's a good question. I'm surprised no one has asked it before...

I assume your tongue is sticking WAY out of your cheek.:D
SEARCH usually helps ya find what you're looking for.
A few posts below this one is a link to the lens comparison/resolution charts I did a couple months ago. In the Sticky, it also links to this chart. Several posts in the topic about HD lenses.
Raynox 3030, 5050, Century Babydeath, .55, are all good HD-resolution options.

Thanks for your post. I'm way to lazy for the search function, but I had read your wide angle comparison, very informative.
I've had my eye on the babydeath for a while now but I'm wondering if its really worth the almost $400 price difference from the Raynox? Any other brands I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Anyone know where I can find a Raynox HD-5050 Pro?
Every site I've checked but one has it listed as back ordered. (And I'm pretty sure that the one site that says they have it is playing bait and switch).
Is this lens actually having some production issues or is that lens being phased out or are there so many new skydiving vidiots buying gear that they're sold out?
Any leads would be appreciated.

I know this is off the subject a bit ,but i was on adorama's site the other day watching prices jump up 175.00 on the cx12 . It was selling on there for 724.00 now the price is up to 899.00 Do you have any idea's on why the sudden price increase?
Opp's , now i just checked it again and they are now offering a $100.00 rebate , brings it down to 799.00.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Just called B&H for something else, and asked em' to check stock on this lens while I was on the phone...they said they have em' both black and silver.

DSE, do you have a link to any of the information on the test that you did with the wide angle HD lenses? I was curious as to whether or not you included any filters in the comparison and if they compromised the results at all.
Thanks,

no, I did not include filters, as;
=Filters rarely can be mounted on a wide
=There is a reason for that
=There would be/is no consistency of distance between filter and lens.
Every piece of glass in the lower end has some impact on the image, no matter what. It may or may not be an eggregious impact, but it does carry an impact.

no, I did not include filters, as;
=Filters rarely can be mounted on a wide
=There is a reason for that
=There would be/is no consistency of distance between filter and lens.
Every piece of glass in the lower end has some impact on the image, no matter what. It may or may not be an eggregious impact, but it does carry an impact.

Thanks, I just receive the 5050 that I ordered and was thinking about protecting it. I don't know that spending half the price of the lens so that I can add a filter that will likely interfere with the image is a good idea. I think I'll save the bux for now.
Thanks for the input and happy holidays,

I own a 30mm Liquid 3 Cookie Composites lens and it works great. I have a 37mm brand new one with the brand new filter attachment if you are looking for one. Let me know =) Happy holidays
Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down. A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.

I own a 30mm Liquid 3 Cookie Composites lens and it works great. I have a 37mm brand new one with the brand new filter attachment if you are looking for one. Let me know =) Happy holidays

Thanks, I'm all set up for now but when I want to go wider I may look you up. Right now I have to quit buying myself presents and get something nice for the wife!
Cheers!

I'm searching on here for the licks you have for resolution charts, and can't find it?
I'm considering the century baby death .3 for my cx 12 but it is huge compared to the liquid or royal .3.
I currently have a royal .3
But was thinking of selling it along with an older pc-120 .So i can upgrade to the liquid .3 or century baby death .3?
What's your opinion on those two ?
Thanks Lonnie

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

HUGE world of difference between the Liquid .3 and the Babydeath...not even close to the same class, so...be sure of what you want.
Personally, I'd never use a Babydeath for anything but special stuff. Too much expensive glass exposed. They have a new .5 I'm excited about for tandems...
If you want a .3 and high resolution, I'd go Raynox. Not small form factor, but neither is the Babydeath.

Thats the response i was looking for .I have a raynox .3 for mounting on the helmet.But i can't really use it for handcam. Need to use it for both handcam and helmet mount.

Thank.
I was wondering if that was it. I did not know it started at 37mm. I thought it started at 43mm and we had to use a step up ring.

In case any one interested.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1506&IID=6711

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/577500-REG/Century_Precision_Optics_0HD_05WA_43_0HD_05WA_43_0_5x_Wide_Angle.html

By the way, do you know if this lens is somewhat optimized for 16:9 camcorders? what are their words on this?
I have both 0.3 and 0.55 from them (37mm). I also had 0.65 converter at one point. Looking at my videos, I think these lenses were made for 4:3. 0.3 especially is very soft at edges. Not so noticeable on the jumps. but very apparent when i am looking down towards the ground when i am tracking away.

Just curious.