missann1320

::Ring Sight Flyers:: Schumacher Bracket/Swivel

Hey hey hey!

A couple of questions to those of you who are flying with the Schumacher Bracket set up for your ring sight...

1- I have stripped the screw that tightens the ring sight in place more times than I can count and even replaced the swivel part too thinking I damaged the inside housing... Has anyone else done this?

2- When I do tighten it (to what I think it won't move) the ring sight still moves (not side to side but back and forth). Normal or not? If not, what should I do differently?

3- I have been taking it off and putting it on a bunch to travel so it doesn't get damaged so I am sure that is were the wear on the screw is coming from etc.. What do others do when traveling to different DZ's?

4- You know how the ring sight flips up... Well once it was real tight when I first bought it nd stayed nicely in place but now I have more jumps on it -it's looser (i.e. it doesn't click tightly into place) so sometimes under canopy it pops back down... can anything else be tightened in this system?

I have attached photos of my helmet and of the swivel peice I am talking about.

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks in advance :-)
Smile!
http://www.399FirstDates.com

It's tough to understand exactly what you're describing, but as far as "stripping the screw"... I sort of doubt that. On my old setup I had the Schumacher articulating mount for 2+ years and after my initial setup I never once had to re-adjust it (and I traveled with it a lot). I tightened the screw VERY tight when I first calibrated it. It would take an insane amount of torque to strip one of those screws, and there's no really easy way to apply torque in a setup like this (the reason you often can't get it tight enough, I'm guessing). If you can't get it tight enough, it's very unlikely you stripped it (got it too tight - exactly the opposite). You need to find a good way to apply torque strongly, without actually affecting the alignment while tightening. Once you do this the clamp should not slip.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Good thoughts... thank you!

Sorry for not being clearer- I tightened the screw sooo much that it was stuck slightly off fromt he position I needed it in (I have just been compensating).

I have tried (along with others) to unscrew it and the screw is stripped trying to rotate it out this last time. So the 'L' wrench would tighten but it was stripped going to looser way.

I was just fearful carrying the helmet around or packing it in a case with the sight bar still in place but from what you're saying it may prevent my current situation from happening again... Good thoughts either way!

Thanks again ;)

Smile!
http://www.399FirstDates.com

I used to have my ring sight mounted like yours (vertically straight down/ flipping straight up). The way I wore my helmet, it just barely reached and I was never happy with it, but I had cut the post too short and was stuck with it. Once I got the Schumacher removeable base, I mounted it to the side so it rotates down from the side and I am very happy with it now.

When I travel, I just remove the base and I don't have to worry about re-sighting later. My sight is so tight, I can support the weight of the helmet by holding the ringsight and it stays true (don't worry, the nylon screws will break off if it gets tangled).

I used nothing more than the allen wrench that came with it and I torqued it down while someone else sighted me and held my head still.

The only reason I could see for your looseness would be if the clamp wasn't lined up right, but that would jump out at you when you saw it. I have attached pix of my clamp if that helps...

I have tried (along with others) to unscrew it and the screw is stripped trying to rotate it out this last time. So the 'L' wrench would tighten but it was stripped going to looser way.

So it sounds like you have worn out the hex head of the screw? The only way that would even be possible would be using the wrong size wrench, or using the right size wrench and not inserting it all the way. If the bolt is stuck now and can't be tightened or loosened it might have to be drilled out.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hi.
This just might be your problem. Ring sights come with either a 6mm shaft or a ¼” shaft (which is 6.35mm). Which size is yours? If you have a swivel clamp designed for a ¼” (6.35mm) shaft but you have a 6mm ring sight shaft, it won’t be able to tighten down on it. GetHypoxic have both clamp sizes available here. http://www.gethypoxic.com/ringsight.php#swivel Alternatively, if it looks like the shaft is too thin for the swivel clamp you could try cutting an 18.5mm x 4mm strip of aluminium from a Coke can and wrap it around the sight shaft where it is clamped to pack it up and let the clamp get a bite on it.