HSPScott

Best Royalty-Free websites

If you were to use any freeplaymusic.com music in tandem videos it does require that you pay a fee. Read their usage agreement before using it commercially or using it on a website.

If you are using Freeplay Music for:

(1) Local, regional, or any non-ASCAP/BMI licensed broadcast television use;

(2) Local, regional, or any non-licensed cable television use;

(3) Television use premiering outside the US;

(4) Advertising and Promo use;

(5) All Radio Use;

(6) Direct-to-video, DVD, CD, CDR DVDR or other similar media, including replication, distribution, promotional, or sale;

(7) Books, Magazines, Games, Electronic and Toy Use;

(8) Non-Broadcast Multi Media Use (Live events, Power Point presentations, trade shows/conventions, etc.);

(9) Music on Hold;

(10) Internet - Website Use (to promote a business, product, service or club);

(11) Personal Website Use (Non-Commercial);

(12) Wireless Content: Ring Tones / Blogs / Shareware / Freeware / Wireless Gaming, etc;.

(13) Greeting Cards / Email Greeting Cards / Email Brochures;

(14) Podcasting;

(15) Film Festivals / Competitions;

(16) Religious Use (most); or

(17) Non-Profit (most)

Then Freeplay Music requires a signed license agreement and a license fee payment as described in the Freeplay Music Rate Card

unless I am going to the expensive sites... it seems to be expensive to "be legit"

what would a normal rate be to use a song (or 2) on a tandem video?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Depends on the artist, currency of the song, market value. There is no set fee, and can't be. "Bad to the Bone" is very old, but very, very recognizable.
The drum intro to "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" is instantly recognizable. How do these stack up against the latest forgettable Tim McGraw tune? They're worth a LOT more, because they're "special."

Figure anywhere from 1K to 20K for a single use license. In other words, you can't afford it.
Just today I licensed an old work (via my publisher) for the new television series called "Tecumseh." My music is the main thematic work in the series. Let's just say it was less than 10K for international rights for unlimited broadcast. I received more than this for a one-shot use in "Patriot Games" for a piece of my music.
In other words...it's a free market.

OK everyone, post the best place to get royalty-free music. DSE, I know that you will be bias, but you can still chime in.

If you're looking for FREE "royalty-free" music, that you may use for commercial purposes AND that you are allowed to sync with your video, there are very few places to look. As others have mentioned, there are many sites on the net where you can purchase royalty-free music and the selections are generally very good.

Here are a few sites that I use to get truly free "royalty-free" music. My favorite is Jamendo.com, but you really have to listen to a lot of stuff there to find what you like. I have found several songs that I use in my videos, which people really seem to like. It's going to depend on your taste. One of the best things about Jamendo.com is that there are many songs in languages other than english available ;-)

Check these out:

JAMENDO.COM
My favorites: B-Shake, AlainProvist, DJ Saryon Sory, Bronco, Kelly Allyn (if you find any others that you like, please let me know!)
MUSOPEN.COM - Great for classical music
INCOMPETECH.COM

Bump...

DSE the link to your site isn't working anymore. I remember seeing some sites listed on your page that i really liked but I can't seem to remember what they are anymore. Do you still have that list somewhere? Let us know, many of us are trying to get all our editing inline with industry norms.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Just curious, what do you guys all think an "adrenaline-driven" library volume would be worth in terms of what you'd pay for say...30 power songs? Most libraries only come with a few useful songs, I've considered putting together a "powerpack" based on pieces we've scored for films and broadcast. It would contain around 28-35 pieces, each 3 mins (approx) long.
Should I be looking at this? Our market reach for this is mostly the skydiving community, so it's a small reach.

Just curious, what do you guys all think an "adrenaline-driven" library volume would be worth in terms of what you'd pay for say...30 power songs? Most libraries only come with a few useful songs, I've considered putting together a "powerpack" based on pieces we've scored for films and broadcast. It would contain around 28-35 pieces, each 3 mins (approx) long.
Should I be looking at this? Our market reach for this is mostly the skydiving community, so it's a small reach.

Right now we are looking at purchasing either individual songs at $29 a piece from stockmusic.net or picking one of their libraries.

I dunno, something like that would be worth around $100 to me maybe more.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Just curious, what do you guys all think an "adrenaline-driven" library volume would be worth in terms of what you'd pay for say...30 power songs?

I'd be interested in it personally and I might get a couple of DZO's on board if I can convince them that it is in their best interest (because it is!)

I agree with everyone else that $75-$100 would be reasonable.

I beleive it would pursuade more of us to go royalty free if we can just buy some easily instead of having to search for it. Yeah, we're lazy.;)

Thanks for being willing to do the leg work for us. Please keep us posted when/if it's available.

Blue Skies,
Jason

Just curious, what do you guys all think an "adrenaline-driven" library volume would be worth in terms of what you'd pay for say...30 power songs? ......

I swear, I heard this exact same pitch on TV a few nights ago from that way too happy looking REO Speedwagon guy:D

But seriously, I think it would be a nice thing to have. One less potential headache. We talked about it at our DZ last weekend but I haven't actually heard any of the music that was chosen by our DZO. (I fear it may be a cross between "Chariots of Fire" and Pat Boone's "In a Metal Mood".)

Just curious, what do you guys all think an "adrenaline-driven" library volume would be worth in terms of what you'd pay for say...30 power songs? ......

I swear, I heard this exact same pitch on TV a few nights ago from that way too happy looking REO Speedwagon guy:D

...."BUT WAIT!!! If you order NOW, we'll send you the Face Peel Pocket, Cheek, and Neck Ripper! That's right. At absolutly no cost to you, we'll send you this little self defense jewel when you order your Andrenaline Action Sound Library! If that's not good enough, we'll send you a free can of Spray on Hair (expired in 1998, but what the hell, we've still got a lot of it, " especially blonde). :P

In my library of stuff, we have pieces that have been written for various projects that we still own outright. They've been used on small boutique projects, and all are fast-paced, perfect for skydiving...which is why I'd consider doing it. I'd expect they'd come in for less than 70.00 for around 30 tracks. Unlimited use... Now I just gotta source a couple hundred Pocket, Cheek, and Neck Rippers.

How much for just the Face Peel Pocket, Cheek, and Neck Ripper?;)

I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere, but 20 years ago, we did a series of really sick songs ("Chewing Band-Aids" was one of them) that a radio show host named "Dr. Dimento" used to play. Along with those, we did some parodies of the old K-Tel and RonCo television ads, and the Face Peel Pocket Cheek and Neck Ripper was one of them (Popiel=FacePeel) Those were the days... :D

...."BUT WAIT!!! If you order NOW, we'll send you the Face Peel Pocket, Cheek, and Neck Ripper! That's right. At absolutly no cost to you, we'll send you this little self defense jewel when you order your Andrenaline Action Sound Library! If that's not good enough, we'll send you a free can of Spray on Hair (expired in 1998, but what the hell, we've still got a lot of it, " especially blonde). :P

In my library of stuff, we have pieces that have been written for various projects that we still own outright. They've been used on small boutique projects, and all are fast-paced, perfect for skydiving...which is why I'd consider doing it. I'd expect they'd come in for less than 70.00 for around 30 tracks. Unlimited use... Now I just gotta source a couple hundred Pocket, Cheek, and Neck Rippers.

Pick up a few orders of ShamWows, I think they send extras and they'd be a great compliment to the rippers. But there's really no need, you got me with the spray on hair! I'll order by midnight tonight!

Spending many days of research on this to be Proper :)
and pay artist their dues, but it is a jungle

Can anyone summarize it all for real?

What License we need for Tandem Videos?
Whats the Best Description of a Tandem Video?
Documentary or a Short Film?

My Research
Sync License : to sync the song as background to your video
New Media License : for Internet
Videogram License : for DVD
Mechanical/Master License : for Promotional use

Royalty Free Sites
It seems alot offer free download or a few dollar purchase but they seem to be for listening as "personal use" like itunes.

Am I right that alot of us are getting confused and downloading these songs thinking they are for legal commercial use?

Eg: Jamendo.com.. to License for Tandem Videos you need to goto the PRO section or click on license.

Uniquetracks.com
I like this site because you get different versions of the song,
and their License Legal Stuff
http://www.uniquetracks.com/licensing-information.html

other music site
Youlicense.com
Soundclick.com

It may cost a few more dollars, but it only moves the industry forward and more professional. Eventually DZOs will follow and put up our rates as contractors :)

Maybe more artist will join us and create more modern tracks for us specifically in mind.

Thanks for your help
Kai

Short summary is most sites are aimed at one-offs (like a documentary) or aimed at personal use.
Very few are for shelf stock (reusable).
There are licenses per use, bulk licenses, limited licences, and fee simple licenses.
There are blends of all of the above as well.
All of the above is separate from how Creative Commons works.

The short summary is that there really isn't one.

Am I right that alot of us are getting confused and downloading these songs thinking they are for legal commercial use?

Eg: Jamendo.com.. to License for Tandem Videos you need to goto the PRO section or click on license.

I don't think you need to purchase Jamendo Pro to be legal. Jamendo Pro is a service. It's not a license, but rather more like a guarantee. They even give you a certificate ;)

Jamendo PRO guarantees the legality of all its commercial licenses:

The free music provided by Jamendo PRO for your public place or multimedia project is not subject to any performance rights (paid to ASCAP, PRS, BMI, SOCAN...), in all legality: the artists in our catalog chose not to belong to any collective rights society.

Jamendo PRO provides a certificate (PDF document you can download and print) certifying your right to use the music within your Jamendo PRO license contract.
In the case of the use of music in a multimedia project, the Jamendo PRO license serves as a certificate.
This certificate is legally acknowledged by performance rights organization. It attests that you do not have to pay any fees to them.

The CC (by-sa) and (sa) licenses are independent of Jamendo Pro and allow you to use the music for commercial purposes and for derivative work (sync) as long as you give credit and use the same license for your tandem video DVD. You can't use music that is designated ND and/or NC for tandem videos as those prohibit derivative works and commercial use, respectively.