Skydave103

Backup camera's

Does anyone have a backup camera? I been keeping an extra PC as a backup for the last few years. worked out pretty good when one of my others took a shit. besides I could pick one up for under 200.

But now that I have an HC-5 it is getting pretty expensive and i'm not sure i want to spend that kind of money on a backup. I found on for $500 still in the box.
I have the money but do you think its a good idea?

Dave
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I have two PC101's and one of them crapped out this weekend so I just bought another one for $230 off ebay. Needless to say, I think it is worthwhile to have a back up. I even have my still set-up where I can use my 400D or my old 300D if I have to. I guess I feel like if I am prepared for the worse it won't happen ;)

Blue Skies,

Jason

Does anyone have a backup camera?

Absolutely. But your back-up doesn't have to be the same kind of camera, why not keep one of your old PCs for your back-up? I have backup video cameras, stills, helmet, rig, and jump suits (even had to use my old camera suit this past weekend). Ya just never know...

My D80 remotes are all done for so until i get a new one I'll jump my backup still camera, D200. The D80 is my backup camera for ground shots :)

After someone broke (literally) my TRV25 early this year I bought a HC5, then they went and about halved the price in a few months time and since no new models are 100% ok for skydiving I went and got me a backup HC5. I use the backup for ground shots so the first one can stay on the helmet.

If you use either a stills or video camera for other stuff than skydiving I find it very handy to have 2 bodies as you can just leave the helmet ready-to-jump and not worry about bringing all your camera stuff to the dz always and having to check the settings always etc.
And of course having a backup can save your bacon. It's a luxury yeah but if you shoot tandems or a serious 4way team or whatever you pretty much have to have a backup plan IMO.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

lol

BTW I found it comes in handy if the accessories are a match, my D80 and D200 use the same batteries and charger and of course lenses, although not the same memory cards unfortunately, and the extra HC5 makes sure I have a spare battery and a spare charger (and the box fits both of course). Of course if you have something suitable lying around you don't have to buy something else, but if you do it helps if they are compatible. Keeping around a TRV25 (M series batteries), PC106 (F series) and PC2 (S series) with extra batteries and chargers and lenses turned out more expensive than 2x HC5 :S which of course have yet ANOTHER type of battery grrrr.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I already picked up the battery charger and extra battery for the HC-5. Damn that shit is expensive around $100 for them. wtf!?
And I bought a the cookie mount, yet another $100.

Luckily the camera already had the wide-angle lens.

I have backup batteries for all my equipment.

Always carry extra batteries for stills, video, CF card, A nickel (for tightening stroboframe) and allen wrench in my camera suit. Never know when you will need them.

Dave
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

lKeeping around a TRV25 (M series batteries), PC106 (F series) and PC2 (S series) with extra batteries and chargers and lenses turned out more expensive than 2x HC5 :S which of course have yet ANOTHER type of battery grrrr.

Years ago I had a PC1 with the "S" batteries, what pieces of shit they are!!!!
The M series are better, but still could last longer.

Go figure, I found a HC5 on Craigslist for ................$500. Not used not refurb, brand new in a sealed box, still had the binding tape on it!! Dude needed cash for rent. His loss my gain. Now I have a backup camera.

I can't complain I now have 2 HC5's for $950.

Now if I can only find a great deal on a 20D.
:D