kashton

New Sidemounted Freefall Camera

Ah, but look, TG3 is showing electronic, but TG1 doesn't.

I found the same thing. Searching for TG3 on google shows all results for EIS. TG1 however does not...

Check it out...

EDIT: UPDATE: I called Sony Canada to hear it from the horse's mouth and for anyone interested, they said it is Electronic. As a sidenote, I asked if it would be possible to pass a message to the R&D dept to maybe incorporate a screw lens on the next version or something like that. His response "When the TG2 gets released, this is something that it may have", to which I promptly responded "They are developing/releasing a TG2?" I got the impression that he was now covering up his mistake of mentioning unreleased information. Anyways, I got my question answered and had a glimmer of hope instilled in me that the next version may be more useful...

Time will tell. Maybe in the spring
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Cool, anyways was gonna say that the TG1 and TG3 are the same camera with different numbers. They always do that with the European versions for some reason.

Its like the Canon Cameras, 400D in Europe is the XTi in the US. Same exact camera though.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Cool, anyways was gonna say that the TG1 and TG3 are the same camera with different numbers. They always do that with the European versions for some reason.

I think they have different names, because they work with two different video/tv signals.
TG1 with NTSC-System for USA/TV
TG3 with PAL-System for European/TV

I think they have different names, because they work with two different video/tv signals.
TG1 with NTSC-System for USA/TV
TG3 with PAL-System for European/TV

they didn't do that with any of the PC series cameras they merely put an "E" designationn on the end for PAL i.e., PC105 and PC105E
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

hey guys, just started looking at this camera and have to say it looks pretty good.

i'm curious about the lack of the DV in/out. and for those that have already had a chance to use this camera, how have you gotten around the inability to output a clip of a jump to a buddy with a, lets say, pc1000 at the dropzone. but more importantly ;) how have you been grabbing the video of your jump from someone else's camera?

i'm hoping there's some way around this without having to use a laptop everytime... but i'm not sure how!

With most cameras migrating towards AVCHD, DV in/out and HDV in/out is going away for good. I miss the ease of firewiring footage back and forth, but the laptop technique is the only one I know of. On the plus side, the copying takes place much faster than real time.

yeah, that's what i thought...

so if i'm not going to be able to input/output directly from/to another camera, can anyone think of a good reason not to get the NTSC tg1, which seem a lot cheaper than the PAL tg3?

if i'm going to have to d/load to my laptop first then can the video be converted from NTSC to upload to a PAL camera fairly easily at the dz? does anyone else do this?

Is this the much hoped and hyped about replacement to the TG1 with threads for a lens???

I doubt that. Several online reviews for the TG2 state "Part No.: HDR-TG1".

I guess we have to keep waiting...[:/]

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

Any chance you could put a low-compression (hi-quality) sample of, say, 10 seconds up somewhere? You might just win a customer...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Taxation. When I got my PC-5E it had the DV-In function disabled (the PC-5 had it) in the Cams' OS. Key was by definition if the camcorder had a wire-in recording function they would have to pay european import duties like on VCRs, not the lower duties on Camcorders(was something like 25% rather than 19% or such IIRC). I had to hack my cam to get the DV-In. Nowadays many have it enabled b/c it's more convenient and i think probably there's a solution to the duties regulations.

Man that footage is sweet. I've had my TG1 set-up from Cookie for nearly a week now and I cant wait to jump it. Thats shit british summer weather for you! Thanks for sharing, I'm even mor excited now.

Mart
"When I left school I couldn't even spell skydiver. Now I are one!"

Totally, a screw around dive with the TG1 without a ringsight with one of Cookie's setups. Just got it in and man I really can get used to this POV camera flying... my neck actually feels ok today. :-P

I checked it out on the FB link Trunks,
what helmet is the box on?
What lens is on front?
Where on the helmet is the box positioned (further forward than normal etc..?)
Thanks mate
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanks a lot. Now this might well be a worthy successor for my old PC-5... What kind of wideangle was used on the horny gorilla? Just wondering because of the vignetting, it didn't seem to be wider than a 0.3 lens. I might just wait for my PC-5 to give up and get the successor model with a lens mount....
Also, was it shot on HD or SD? It's really hard to tell from a web video...

Helmet is a cookie helmet with the TG1 box. They mounted it for me but I can take some pics. It's mounted at the front of their side mount area. I threw my Raynox 5050 lens (.5x) on it since I lent out my Royal lenses and was not able to locate the them before the jump. It's kinda silly with a big lens like the raynox since it almost seems bigger than the camera :S I just need to zoom in a hair with this lens, to prevent that vinette.

Downside is the price. All said and done you are coming up on 1700 for a setup like this.

I believe everything was stock settings wise, even autofocus.

DSE is correct, its a mp4 ipod compression out of vegas. I did pump up the bit rate for this one just to see, still messing around

HYPOXIC

Hmmm... $1700 was just my HC-5 + lense + spare battery... That didn't include the helmet so the price isn't that high B|

No matter when you commit to a set up and spend a s**t load of $$ there is always a cheaper and better alternative around the corner ;)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

More or less saying that since its, imho, a screw around camera and not something like the HC-5 where I would sell the footage. It's kinda a bitch to show the footage, focus the camera, preview in the plane, etc. It does not seem like a workhorse like other cameras in Sony's line.
HYPOXIC