kashton

New Sidemounted Freefall Camera

Ok the dude who shot the vid's is Crikey, thanks mate.

Here is a link to the video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Skydivebase

The guys ran the camera on auto focus.

Cookie:)

Not wanting to be a wet blanket or anything, but has the upload to youtube made the video that crappy (poor quality) or is the clarity of the camera's video that poor? Auto-focus mode aside.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Yes I though it was crappy also.

I uploaded it at the 512kbs download rate.

Im new to you tube uplaods, advice willingly accepted

Cookie

So you're saying that the quality of the original video footage is good? How does it compare to miniDV tape clarity?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The video footage shown on the HD TV was excellent and was better than the mini DV footage of a PC1000 as a comparison.

The footage was shot late in the day and it's low light perfomance may be it's down fall.

I did three jumps myself this weekend using this camera on a belly and foot mount. It was a beautiful day and the red and blue colours were exceptional compared to the PC9 mini dv camera footage was also used.

It does have it's draw backs, one was setting the camera to manual focus which involved holding the lens in front of the camera to adjust the focus whilst using the screen

Cookie

Hey Cookie aka Jason,

The box you guys made looks great, the camera looks great and the lens setup looks great. Only 2 things holding me back from buying this whole setup to throw on my head are:

1 - Vibration issue. I'm still waiting to see some videos uploaded to see if the same issue exists and the CX7 etc... Optical is optical afterall. I've seen a few videos now from the TG1, but not much, if any FF jumps. Hopefully some will surface. Looks like the cam is gaining popularity though.

2 - Lens FOV. Would it be possible to upload a picture of the FOV with a .2, .3 and .5 on there? I noticed that all the videos so far have helmets in view, and I'm wondering where that stops or if it does at all. I think you mentioned earlier that the .2 will show the helmet, but I didn't see any further mention if any of the other lenses will.

Thanks for any input/info anyone can share!

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Hey Chris,

No vibrations with the camera, it hs been jumped in all orientations with no shake. I jumped it on a belly mount and foot mount whilst testing some other gear. Sorry I can't show the top secret footage of some other new gear. All I can say it was a fantastically bright day and the footage was great. I needed to work on my manual focus setting routine but I think the best way is to set it up in auto, get it focused and switch to manual

Regarding the lens. I have only shot footage on a helmet with the Liquid 3. Yes it does pick up the helmet. I will confirm the Liquid 5 tomorrow. The Liquid 2 has a vignetting issue. It is very wide but with the black corners.

I know some guys have also done some jumps and I think they have added some clips to you tube. I will try and track them down

Cookie

Hey!

Thanks for the responses. I did have a chance to see that youtube video, but the guy conveniently left out what lens he was using. I assume it was the .3 based on comparison with the video you posted earlier.

As for the top secret stuff...don't worry, this public forum is totally safe, it won't leave this site....(bwahaha).

Thanks again, I look forward to seeing the results of the .5

Actually, the .2 lens issue, I'm sure you've looked at this, but is it something that could be remedied by removing the housing at the front of the lens, ie the flash and "screwless" lens cover? I assume this is caused because the lens can't get close enough to the camera's lens?

1 - Vibration issue. I'm still waiting to see some videos uploaded to see if the same issue exists and the CX7 etc... Optical is optical afterall. I've seen a few videos now from the TG1, but not much, if any FF jumps. Hopefully some will surface. Looks like the cam is gaining popularity though.

Chris

FYI: The TG1 / TG3 don't use optical stabilization, they use electronic. I think you were confused on that part.

To the poster hinting that a camera might come out with a lens screw that is like the TG1/3... Hah... man, if that happens everyone would want it! Hope that is true. I know I would buy one immediately.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

To the poster hinting that a camera might come out with a lens screw that is like the TG1/3... Ha... man, if that happens everyone would want it! Hope that is true. I know I would buy one immediately.

The info came direct from a UK Sony center but hay i did think the guy was talking for the sake of it and not because he new to much about future products.

I am thinking it is rubbish as someone on here would of also heard that. :P:P
YeHaaaaaaaaaaa

Hey Fast,

Are you sure on the EIS vs the OIS on this camera? SonyStyle only says " SuperSteadyShot Image Stabilization", whereas if you look at the table on camcorderreviews, it shows the same as the CX7.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sonys-New-HDR-TG1-Pocket-Sized-AVCHD-Camcorder-34829.htm#

Also, if you read the 7th bullet, it says OIS as well.
http://www.krillion.com/xNOP-Sony-flashmemory_Camcorders-HDRTG1

Anyone have more input on whether this is OIS or EIS? I'm still leaning towards OIS since it is a higher end camera and everyone seems to be dropping EIS in anything but their low end cams.

Thanks