skydiveoc

first handies on cx12 today.

including
capture About 60-70 seconds per jump
changing text on credits About 10-15 seconds(worst case)
music setup No set up time, as it's part of several templates already built
rendering Dual core 2.12GHz machine, about 2.5 mins
burning Same machine, about 4 mins

To qualify a few of the answers....
The primary videographers at our DZ use MSPD cams, so it's card-transfer, no capture. We can Xfer up to four cards at once either to local or network drives.
Files go on the timeline in order as they're shot. Music is already roughly timed, as length of vids doesn't vary much. We only have a few short tweaks here/there to do, so figure about 90 seconds for editing the entire thing. Soon, we'll be faster. Shortly, we'll make our bullet-proof, top-secret tool available to the skydiving public. ;)
Final actual skydive videos are between 5-7 mins. We duplicate the exit shot and deployment shot, slowing both duplications to 40% of original speed. We also incorporate flash transitions, personalized titles, "thank you" at end, plus birthday, anniversary, or other special occasion overlays when merited.
Burning takes longest, primarily because we include a separate credits page for each videographer, and a 9 minute "So you liked your skydive, this is AFF" video with it. If those came off...it would tremendously speed burning. We can burn up to four DVDs at once on two systems, both networked to same HDDs. We also could go faster if we pulled the Blu-ray burners out and put 24X burners in all four slots.
if you're a serious tandem operation...IMO, this is the only way to go if you want students walking out the door w/DVD in hand.

For tandems, we shoot either HD or SD, always widescreen. Videos are edited/burned in Sony Vegas Pro, DVD Architect Pro, and we have a slight advantage over other DZ's with an inexpensive tool we'll soon announce to the world.;)
But....That tool only shaves about 1-2 mins off the template process. The *new* version of the tool (TBA) will shave almost all the time off the editing process. For tandem DZ's...it's da' bomb.;)

I apologise in advance if I haven't searched properly but would someone please advise/confirm:

1 - The CX12 doesn't have a LANC port so can a Cam Eye or HypEye somehow be used with it?

2 - What is the conclusion regarding "shake". Has it been concluded that this camcorder is or is not suitable for freefall videography?

Thanks in advance,

John Scher (Kenya)

I apologise in advance if I haven't searched properly but would someone please advise/confirm:

1 - The CX12 doesn't have a LANC port so can a Cam Eye or HypEye somehow be used with it?

2 - What is the conclusion regarding "shake". Has it been concluded that this camcorder is or is not suitable for freefall videography?

Thanks in advance,

John Scher (Kenya)

Yes you can use hypeye. Im using one for hand cam (as is all our staff) and no shake issue. Not sure about freefly axis though.

One annoying issue we have with the cx 12 is that it reverts back to default settings overnight. In other words you have to re set your manual focus and scene selection every day. Not sure why and haven't had the time to figure out why yet. Any help here from skydive tech support?

Also had an indicator light become inactive in the door during a cold climbout. TM pushed hypeye again with no success. No external viewfinder to verify recording. Light became active again while under canopy. He lost the freefall. Not sure yet if it is camera or short in hypeye.

DSE, do you use the bundled capture software PMB to import into Vegas?

Yes you can use hypeye. Im using one for hand cam (as is all our staff) and no shake issue. Not sure about freefly axis though.

Specifically you can use the Hypeye Pro D connector

One annoying issue we have with the cx 12 is that it reverts back to default settings overnight. In other words you have to re set your manual focus and scene selection every day. Not sure why and haven't had the time to figure out why yet. Any help here from skydive tech support?

I believe this is a problem with many of the current model of sony cameras... I'm not sure that there is a solution.

Also had an indicator light become inactive in the door during a cold climbout. TM pushed hypeye again with no success. No external viewfinder to verify recording. Light became active again while under canopy. He lost the freefall. Not sure yet if it is camera or short in hypeye.

I've had a problem with the Hypeye Pro D indicator cable working itself loose enough to cause the indicator lights to not work... it isn't a constant problem and I haven't had the problem more then a few times... (the camera still functions it's just that the LEDs don't indicate)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

These cameras take 6 seconds or longer to boot up. They standbye after 5minutes of inactivity. If we're holding, I'll start recording briefly to ping the camera. On the ground it takes a second to delete these pulses, or just film your subject for a moment and leave it in ;-)
HYPOXIC