TheCaptain

Video editors do you use copy righted music from commercial artist

hey guys...fun discussion, but let's keep the discussion to skydiving vids, how you're managing the copyright issue (or not) etc.

I could easly see how you got me thecaptain and thecapt. could be confused. I am also glad to see that more than a few take this matter serious, and thank you for pushing to focus.
I, personally have always been a very black and white person, so for me it is very clear the right and wrong about this. However, that does not mean it is easy to choose.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Well I'll try this again, because I love the abuse. The question is will youtube draw attention to this. The videos on youtube arent promoting anything. They are basicaly just peoples personal videos that are not for sale. Everyone agrees this is legal.
Now if they track down videographers that are making a habit of using copyrighted music, arent they going to find that its being done for someones personal video that is going to be shown to friends and family and not mass produced and resold? which is the exacct situation that you all agreed is NO BIG DEAL.

Besides I havent put music on a tandem video since Buddha knows when. I have the student put their. own music on it as I leave the room. THen I let them push "make movie". Its in my wiaver that purchase of video includes the video and video editing only. No audio edits outside of the original.

This way it was there personal choice for their personal video. Which once again everyone agrees is legal.

As far as my work being stolen stratostar? I give away more art then I try to sell. i just like for it to be appreciated.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

Well I'll try this again, because I love the abuse. The question is will youtube draw attention to this. The videos on youtube arent promoting anything. They are basicaly just peoples personal videos that are not for sale. Everyone agrees this is legal.
Now if they track down videographers that are making a habit of using copyrighted music, arent they going to find that its being done for someones personal video that is going to be shown to friends and family and not mass produced and resold? which is the exacct situation that you all agreed is NO BIG DEAL.

Besides I havent put music on a tandem video since Buddha knows when. I have the student put their. own music on it as I leave the room. THen I let them push "make movie". Its in my wiaver that purchase of video includes the video and video editing only. No audio edits outside of the original.

This way it was there personal choice for their personal video. Which once again everyone agrees is legal.

As far as my work being stolen stratostar? I give away more art then I try to sell. i just like for it to be appreciated.

The real problem is the dropzone ( or the video person and the editor which ever is the case) are making money from the sale of the video which inpart has copyrighted music assocaited to it and the artist (ie publishing company) did not receive anything for their particpation( and or even consent to), that is the real issue Oh yeah, not to mention with youtube.com and others there is now becoming a digital finger print that they could trace back to an indivdual DZ ( if you do not think so just try typing in your DZ on youtube.com)
Some may say that it would be ludicrous to consider an music company suing an individual or a Dropzone for copyright infringement, but I would have to say just ask the woman in the lawsuit thecapt. Was involved in. I am sure she did not think sharing 50 songs, she purchase with others on the KAzoom ( or what ever it was) would end up costing her $500,000.00 either.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Your waiver doesn't mean squat, other than implicating you further (because you're demonstrating that you know the practice is illegal).
Kinda like a driver making robbers sign a waiver that if they're caught, he's not responsible because all he did was provide the car.
Tandem videos are a commercial enterprise. There is NO WAY to legally use copyrighted works whether your hands touch it or not, if your dropzone delivers a finished DVD, even if the student does "do the sync."
The days of being able to arbitrarily use copyrighted works are in their sunset, and only fools don't realize it.

The videos on youtube arent promoting anything. They are basicaly just peoples personal videos that are not for sale. Everyone agrees this is legal.

Uhh...no....everyone DOESN'T agree this is legal. Warner has allowed some specific personal uses, but a skydiving operation isn't part of that license.

I think this is an interesting thread....it seems that people generally treat copyright law as they treat speed limit laws....most people know they're doing something illegal, or have a feeling that what they're doing isn't entirely legal, but they do it anyway because the odds are in their favor that they won't be caught if they're careful.

I understand this attitude, but I find it funny that people would just openly admit to doing these things in a public forum. Granted, are lawyers for the music business reading dz.com looking for people to sue? Probably not. But given that a dz.com member was involved in defending someone in a copyright suit, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that this thread could be read by people looking for targets.

or maybe, as it has been implied, the skydiving industry is just "below the radar" and there are bigger fish to fry. Still, it just takes one instance where they want to make a big deal of it and the jig is up.

Beethoven's sheet music might be in the public domain but the recorded performance is not. ;) In this case the artist that record it and the label that published it could still claim copyright claims. Public Domain claims are almost usless if it is published since while the music is public domain the recorded performance is not. Public domain has something like 70 years after the last artists death before it is truely in the public domain.

Speaking of public domain classical music, HERE is a nice source that I found a couple of weeks ago when a tandem student requested the 1812 Overture for his jump vidi ;-)

I have just downloaded a trial version of Sony Acid Studio 7. I for one am now on going to take the time and put my own stuff together. I don't do tandem videos and have only done video for teams and fun jumps. I think everyone that is using copy righted music should really step back and rethink it. I don't want to be the one they use as an example. Acid Studio 7 is less then $60. I think it's worth it to be legal.

A very powerful version of ACID can be found free HERE
**DISCLAIMER**
my company authors loops for ACID, and I personally have developed 6-8 libraries of ACID sounds that are offered through Sony... My company also published a book on using ACID.

Ahoy! This is TheCapt. Jammie Thomas is my client. We went to trial and, as expected, lost, but foresaw what happened last Monday in court. There's me on one side of the courtroom and eight RIAA lawyers on the other side with their entourage and Gulfstream pilots. We kicked ass. I believe the juidge will throw out the judgment next month. Not bad for someone with only 86 jumps, eh?