Chris_K

Flash mounted on your helmet?

What are your opinions about mounting a flash on your helmet?

I have discovered that it is great during sunset loads as you get the fire of the setting sun in the background yet a very clear picture of the passenger.

Even during the day it helps to fill in the shadows under the nose and eyes when the sun is overhead as opposed to behind you.

Only issue: in the plane dont use a flash, pilots dont like that.
Downsizing is not the way to prove your manhood.

I have a 580exII that I can mount to my helmet to jump with, I don't do it very often though. As for using a flash in the plane, I use my camera's built in flash on every tandem video when I am taking a picture of the customer in the plane and have never had a pilot notice or complain.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

What are your opinions about mounting a flash on your helmet?

I have discovered that it is great during sunset loads as you get the fire of the setting sun in the background yet a very clear picture of the passenger.

Even during the day it helps to fill in the shadows under the nose and eyes when the sun is overhead as opposed to behind you.

Only issue: in the plane dont use a flash, pilots dont like that.

Simple, they work. You won't see most of the known guys jumping without them(unless it's uncalled for). If you have space for it, it's a worthwhile addition.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've got pictures of the flash bracket made in the post your camera helmet thread http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3154613;search_string=bergh%20helmet;#3154613

I am in the process of redoing the bracket using a three point bending tool that a frend of mine has to build a plane in his garage. but it will be more or less the same design it's just going to be out of a single piece of aluminum and I might add some lighting holes to make it lighter.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Iwan's set up is pretty clean. Mine's death...but works great. I can remove the camera and the flash stays w/ the camera for quick ground shots.

(Iwan...you comin to the boogie again this year?)

I am trying to work it in for sure!! I'll let you know.. I have some plans with that pond of yours :P

Iwan's set up is pretty clean. Mine's death...but works great. I can remove the camera and the flash stays w/ the camera for quick ground shots.

I am trying to work it in for sure!! I'll let you know.. I have some plans with that pond of yours :P

Going to try walking on water again?:P
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Going to try walking on water again?:P

I figured out that if you go fast enough, it can be done :P

You can't get shots like these without a flash. I quite like a flash. -Tony

http://www.tonyhathaway.com/fotoserv/gallery_large.php4?image=Gallery_06.jpg

http://www.tonyhathaway.com/fotoserv/gallery_large.php4?image=Gallery_42.jpg

http://www.tonyhathaway.com/fotoserv/gallery.php4
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

I agree Tony!

I don't use it for bigways or for tandems (unless they are friends or willing to pay more for the photos) but for all other stuff, I LOVE flash. It just "finishes" the shots I think.
And as you pointed out with those links, in tricky lighting conditions a flash will get you the "impossible" shots

Iwan

I agree Tony!

I don't use it for bigways or for tandems (unless they are friends or willing to pay more for the photos) but for all other stuff, I LOVE flash. It just "finishes" the shots I think.
And as you pointed out with those links, in tricky lighting conditions a flash will get you the "impossible" shots

Iwan

Why? that reads like you are happy to not give your best when working unless they pay more.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

No flash is fine for tandems but using a flash is a lot more weight to haul along as well as the investment needed in batteries to last for a day.

If you want to use the arguement about "not giving it your best" then why are all videos not shot on IMAX or all stills are not made using 1D Mark3's or at least with L glass? There is a line that gets drawn and I would agree with Iwan that the flash is not needed for the majority of students but is needed when conditions warrent. Outside of those conditions then it is optional and there is usually a premium that comes with optional services.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I assume you jump with a DsMIII body with at least two flashes and battery packs on you just to make your best for 30 bucks ?

Seriously. I cant think of any other professional photographer who gets paid less for his photographs than a tandemvidiot. Even though taking the photos requires that the vidiot jumps out of an aircraft with the gear attached to his head. Risking not just the equipment but his health also..

Do some tandem video/photos professionally for a while and Im sure you will not want any extra weight on your head unless you are paid accordingly..

EDIT: seems like phree beat me to it.. :P

No flash is fine for tandems but using a flash is a lot more weight to haul along as well as the investment needed in batteries to last for a day.

If you want to use the arguement about "not giving it your best" then why are all videos not shot on IMAX or all stills are not made using 1D Mark3's or at least with L glass? There is a line that gets drawn and I would agree with Iwan that the flash is not needed for the majority of students but is needed when conditions warrent. Outside of those conditions then it is optional and there is usually a premium that comes with optional services.

you dont use that argument because most of us are not wankers.
YOUR best does not imply the best that is available to the professional market.

When conditions warrant is not what Iwan stated either. I'm well aware that in general jumping the condition may not warrant a flash, but Iwan's post does not imply a condtion on ambient light only on finances
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

you dont use that argument because most of us are not wankers.
YOUR best does not imply the best that is available to the professional market.

When conditions warrant is not what Iwan stated either. I'm well aware that in general jumping the condition may not warrant a flash, but Iwan's post does not imply a condtion on ambient light only on finances

I am all about the money Squeak, you know how the Dutch are :P

When the conditions do not allow me to get a nice shot (weird lighting / back light) I will put the flash on my helmet. My customers deserve the best, and I take even tandem videos very serious. 125 bucks for photos and video is serious money and they deserve a serious product.

I do however, let the customers know they are getting "special treatment" and why, and they are usually VERY happy when we get back to the ground and I show them the photos.

Like Phreezone said, I can't afford (physically) to jump with all that stuff on my head 12 times a day for 40 bucks a jump. I've done it, and I will do it when needed, but not every day every weekend.

[reply
Like Phreezone said, I can't afford (physically) to jump with all that stuff on my head 12 times a day for 40 bucks a jump. I've done it, and I will do it when needed, but not every day every weekend.

I figured (hoped) as much but it didnt read like that in the initial comment, and as usual 3rd parties tried to take it to a higher than needed level.
You do, do very good work :)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ok.. it took some twisting of my arm.. and looking at last year's boogie video again... and I just booked my ticket.

I'll be arriving with the rest of the NorCal crew..

Heaven help us.

Oh wait, I'm part of the NorCal crew.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity